Spacing | Syracusefan.com

Spacing

heresjohnny88

2nd String
More than anything, our spacing is just so much better with James on the floor. I love Grant, but when he's on the court you have him, CJ, and Rak/Keita all standing near the key. With James in there instead of Grant, he opens the entire floor up, especially for CJ who can roam free inside the perimeter without having to worry about traffic.

The time off for James really helped Grant but offense is so much easier all the time for everyone with James out there. Our team is very good and we have a perfect rotation now. 2c 3f 3g

Spacing was as good today as it has been in a long, long time. Good post.

44cuse

Great post. It was really evident at the game.

MWC stated this himself in the postgame. CJ and Grant can both hit threes, but they are not a threat to drop 27 footers that makes for a big difference.

Spacing was as good today as it has been in a long, long time. Good post.

44cuse
Not sure if it was cause Lavin missed the game, but for most of the game, St Johns had no clue on how to stop Syracuse. I never saw so many open 3 pt shots for the Cuse. Southerland adds so much on offense (and on the D end as well) and he makes MCW a better player. Plus that opens the floor so much for Triche and Fair. Really looking forward to see if we replicate on Wednesday.

James shoots from NBA 3pt range and has to guarded by the opposing teams SF or defacto PF if the team plays 3 guards because of his height. It makes a huge difference on how we are defended. The biggest example is Baye was 4-4 today! The defense moved so far out that Baye was getting bunnies and put backs at the rim.

This has been a huge issue for us. For many who didn't like MCW's style of play a lot of it was due to Dirty's suspension. He tried to create spacing all on his own with dribble penetration. Unfortunately he did not execute all that well and it just didn't work. Nobody should be happier with Southerlands return than MCW. It allows him to do what he does bext out there and that is distribute and guide the offense. MCW can be the best player on the floor as long as he is not expected to be the best scorer on the floor.

This has been a huge issue for us. For many who didn't like MCW's style of play a lot of it was due to Dirty's suspension. He tried to create spacing all on his own with dribble penetration. Unfortunately he did not execute all that well and it just didn't work. Nobody should be happier with Southerlands return than MCW. It allows him to do what he does bext out there and that is distribute and guide the offense. MCW can be the best player on the floor as long as he is not expected to be the best scorer on the floor.

Not sure if it was cause Lavin missed the game, but for most of the game, St Johns had no clue on how to stop Syracuse. I never saw so many open 3 pt shots for the Cuse. Southerland adds so much on offense (and on the D end as well) and he makes MCW a better player. Plus that opens the floor so much for Triche and Fair. Really looking forward to see if we replicate on Wednesday.

I am looking forward to seeing if it can be replicated as well. The ball movement on the perimeter was as good as I have seen it in a long while. That said, nothing is perfect and we got nothing on the interior that was generated from a pass from the perimeter.

A lot of helter skelter throw it to Baye stuff...but we all know that will never be our offense. Our guards were great tonight, and that is fantastics. But if we have to score on the interior...from an entry pass...look out.

44cuse

I am looking forward to seeing if it can be replicated as well. The ball movement on the perimeter was as good as I have seen it in a long while. That said, nothing is perfect and we got nothing on the interior that was generated from a pass from the perimeter.

A lot of helter skelter throw it to Baye stuff...but we all know that will never be our offense. Our guards were great tonight, and that is fantastics. But if we have to score on the interior...from an entry pass...look out.

44cuse

I think that CJ is starting to round into form as the team's best player, but I really wish he had some semblance of a post up game. He's a big 3--Carmelo just killed smaller defenders down low [and drew a ton of free throws doing so]. CJ isn't as big or strong, but would love to see him develop that facet of his game.

Right now, we have literally no one who is a consistent inside scorer. Was hoping that Rak would put together another strong game on the heels of his solid performance against ND, but no such luck.

More than anything, our spacing is just so much better with James on the floor. I love Grant, but when he's on the court you have him, CJ, and Rak/Keita all standing near the key.

Agree on the spacing bu there's no reason Grant can't sub for CJ. The talent gap between the 3 of them does not warrant Grant becoming the third wheel. Grant brings some things to the table that are unique and I don't want to hear JB saying, "I'd like to get him more minutes but he's got 2 great players ahead of him". That stuff gets old.

Agree on the spacing bu there's no reason Grant can't sub for CJ. The talent gap between the 3 of them does not warrant Grant becoming the third wheel. Grant brings some things to the table that are unique and I don't want to hear JB saying, "I'd like to get him more minutes but he's got 2 great players ahead of him". That stuff gets old.
There is a reason CJ has played every minute of our recent run of BE games. He's our best player and he was again today.

If you want to make arguments at least make ones that make freaking sense.

I think that CJ is starting to round into form as the team's best player, but I really wish he had some semblance of a post up game. He's a big 3--Carmelo just killed smaller defenders down low [and drew a ton of free throws doing so]. CJ isn't as big or strong, but would love to see him develop that facet of his game.

Right now, we have literally no one who is a consistent inside scorer. Was hoping that Rak would put together another strong game on the heels of his solid performance against ND, but no such luck.

Yep, was thinking the exact same thing. The thing that I have always like about CJ's game is the thing that he is deficient in in the context of this discussion. He is so smooth. As a FR we all remarked (in comparison to JS mostly...who has improved greatly btw) how amazing it was that CJ always seemed to find himself in the right place. That court savvy is the thing that, IMO, keeps him from developing that tenacious "I'm taking you down low to work you" attitude. But his midrange jumper is really good. He picks his spot from 3. And he glides to the rack. Gotta love all that.

But like you, it drives me nuts that we do not have a guy who can just do work down low. Work hard and make a BIG FREAKING TARGET for the guards to put the ball in to. It forces to over rely on guard play.

44cuse

The last two games have made me the most optimistic I have been all season. MCW is playing pass first, Dirty is back, we are looking inside and not playing isolation offense, AND most importantly the offense is spaced and working much more fluidly.

The time off for James really helped Grant but offense is so much easier all the time for everyone with James out there. Our team is very good and we have a perfect rotation now. 2c 3f 3g
Great balance now and role players have some experience if we get in any foul trouble. We should be a favorite against almost everyone on a neutral court.

The spacing today was great. To see Dirty, Triche and MCW throwing the ball around the perimeter and having people extend out. It's amazing the difference in driving lanes and the offense as a whole. It was like watching a different team.

Yep, was thinking the exact same thing. The thing that I have always like about CJ's game is the thing that he is deficient in in the context of this discussion. He is so smooth. As a FR we all remarked (in comparison to JS mostly...who has improved greatly btw) how amazing it was that CJ always seemed to find himself in the right place. That court savvy is the thing that, IMO, keeps him from developing that tenacious "I'm taking you down low to work you" attitude. But his midrange jumper is really good. He picks his spot from 3. And he glides to the rack. Gotta love all that.

But like you, it drives me nuts that we do not have a guy who can just do work down low. Work hard and make a BIG FREAKING TARGET for the guards to put the ball in to. It forces to over rely on guard play.

44cuse
I really would like CJ to play himself into the first round this year. I think the biggest hole in his game is a right hand. Even if he played in the post without a right hand people would just sit on his left. If he could drive hard right and finish right handed on a consistent basis he could be a 20pt a night scorer on the college level. Everyone sits on his left and he still is scoring around 15pts a game in BE play. The good news is he is going to go down as a great 4 year player for us one of the best, and if he had a right hand he would be gone this year.

I really would like CJ to play himself into the first round this year. I think the biggest hole in his game is a right hand. Even if he played in the post without a right hand people would just sit on his left. If he could drive hard right and finish right handed on a consistent basis he could be a 20pt a night scorer on the college level. Everyone sits on his left and he still is scoring around 15pts a game in BE play. The good news is he is going to go down as a great 4 year player for us one of the best, and if he had a right hand he would be gone this year.

100% on that. Well said. Let's hope he develops that right hand over the Summer and after the Draft and before coming back to SU for his SR year. :)

44cuse

Except it's the truth. Why should JB lie?

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Agree with part of this sentiment at least. I don't think the spacing problem stems from Grant. It stems from playing Grant and CJ together at the forward spots. I am ok with starting Grant and CJ together and then if things stagnate bringing Dirty into the game. From there use Grant more to spell CJ and Dirty. Yesterday in the first half the offense was working fine and didn't really sputter until after Dirty had been inserted. The second half was a different story, I don't think the Grant - CJ lineup clicked from the outset.

"Perfect rotation"? It's really only a minimally viable rotation. Anything less and it's a struggle, especially at tournament time.

Is it where most of the minutes go? Definitely.
Is it foul-, injury-, absence- proof? We've seen that it isn't.

In an ideal world there would be another forward/center option (DaJuan) and another guard option. The latter is still a issue. If MCW gets in foul trouble and Brandon or Trevor were to have an off night it would be good to have another option.

I'm another one who thinks the spacing problems are not because of Grant but because of CJ and Grant on the floor together. The strongest part of their games is getting things done inside. Without James on the floor, we lose some of that ability to spread the floor since our offense is much more reliant on the inside game. Needless to say, that's where we obviously could have used a more reliable Trevor (or really just a more consistent Triche/MCW from 3). This is what made our '09-10 team so deadly. We had multiple inside options in AO and Rick, plus multiple outside options in Andy and Wes. Feed AO to start the game and open things up for Andy and Wes to operate from long range. Man, that was a fun team to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom