Spence-Garcia | Syracusefan.com

Spence-Garcia

SWC75

Bored Historian
This wasn't the bout that either fighter needed. Mikey Garcia needed to be fighting fellow lightweight Lomachenko and Spence needs to fight Pacquiao, Thurman or Crawford.

I thought perhaps Garcia might out-quick the bigger, stronger Spence but fall to his greater power. neither happened. Spence stayed in the middle of the ring and dominated with a piston jab and sweeping hooks. When Garcia tried to close the distance between them, Spence moved away. Geacia took a frightful beating but stood up to it and was never knocked down or even unsteady on his feet. he went the distance over 12 rounds probably could have done so for 15 if fights still went that long. But he was never competitive,. The judges scorecards were 120-108, 120-108 and 120-107. That was a bit much for a fight with no knock-downs. I had it 120-109 with the second round even.

I knew Spence was a strong fighter with a heavy, (but not explosive) punch who tended to wear down his opponents and knock them out with an accumulation of blows. After this fight I now see him as a boxer-puncher and a good defensive fighter who will be a load for anyone to beat. I think he and Terrence Crawford are the best two fighter sin the world and I hope they get matched together before too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom