Spoke to Dane Miller's HS coach tonight | Syracusefan.com

Spoke to Dane Miller's HS coach tonight

kuethstheman

All Conference
No big revelations but he related that ever since Dane's freshman year (the last before Rice was hired), coach noticed that Miller didn't seem as motivated and never improved the way he thought he would. When he asked Dane about it, he only said that "You have no idea what I'm going through." He repeated that a number of times over his years at Rutgers.

He never elaborated and the coach didn't press him for details. He just assumed that Rice was more demanding than the prior coach and that Dane just had to get used to him but he never did.

Said he thought Rice seemed like a good guy but intense like a lot of coaches.

Dane is hoping to sign on with an NBA team but realizes that he's more likely to end up overseas.

Miller was a player right from the start. Never understood why a kid with skills would go to Rutgers.

Miller was a player right from the start. Never understood why a kid with skills would go to Rutgers.

Think how relieved the Grant family must feel.

Kid is a victim of the zone. We read all about how Syracuse recruits players that fit the zone. Long versatile athletes. Miller is a great forward, but he is not as tall as our typical forward. He has a great game and had he gone to another school, he may have grown as a player. But, I think the only thing that kept him from getting an offer to SU is a couple of inches in height.

Think how relieved the Grant family must feel.
Grant himself was never that interested in Rutgers for what its worth that was his father pushing them. His mom and him loved SU from the start. If anyone is in the Dematha area next year check out his younger brother he is already as tall as Jerami. He isn't as polished as his brother at this point in his career but he could end up being the best one because he might reach 6'10.

Grant himself was never that interested in Rutgers for what its worth that was his father pushing them. His mom and him loved SU from the start. If anyone is in the Dematha area next year check out his younger brother he is already as tall as Jerami. He isn't as polished as his brother at this point in his career but he could end up being the best one because he might reach 6'10.
None of the Grant brothers have gone to the same school though, right? Maybe we can change that.

I will gladly take another Grant. Each.one has been better than the last. Great pedigree and good kids.

D Miller isn't even close to being an NBA level talent.

None of the Grant brothers have gone to the same school though, right? Maybe we can change that.
Correct the oldest went to Clemson, the other goes to ND, and Jerami at SU. The one thing that might help is the youngest idolizes Jerami much more then the other brothers so that might help. They were all hanging out with James Robinson on Easter my co worker has pics I will share later with the two brothers side by side.

Thought something was wrong going on because at the beginning of the season I stated it was strange that Dane hasn't improved that much since his freshman year.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/dane-miller.40490/

Hmmn...many here were saying similar things about Brandon from frosh to senior year prior to our great BET and NCAA runs... My point, and not to be insensitive, his lack of development could've been an array of reasons, suggesting it was primarily Rice's coaching/tactics is a stretch imo. If he felt it was so bad (Rice's actions) he could've easily transferred... :noidea:

Kid is a victim of the zone. We read all about how Syracuse recruits players that fit the zone. Long versatile athletes. Miller is a great forward, but he is not as tall as our typical forward. He has a great game and had he gone to another school, he may have grown as a player. But, I think the only thing that kept him from getting an offer to SU is a couple of inches in height.
HS coach's perspective is that SU held back on Dane's scholarship until they heard from CJ. They wanted CJ because he was a better shooter. When CJ committed, they let Dane go. Not sure what options he had besides Rutgers. Said SU esp. MH handled it really well even though they didn't offer were classy. Lots of respect and good will.

HS coach's perspective is that SU held back on Dane's scholarship until they heard from CJ. They wanted CJ because he was a better shooter. When CJ committed, they let Dane go. Not sure what options he had besides Rutgers. Said SU esp. MH handled it really well even though they didn't offer were classy. Lots of respect and good will.
That is very informative and good to know.