Sports Agent Pushes "None & Done" | Syracusefan.com

Sports Agent Pushes "None & Done"

Col. Bleep

All American
The MLB model is clearly most practical...to bad the earliest we could see change would be three years.

It would be the best bet for the nba, if you are a one in a million type of player like a lebron or a kobe, you can go to the nba. If not you have to go to school for two or three years.

Just a question. Aren't those longevity stats rather skewed because of the initial investment made in a player taken as an NBA lottery pick? I mean look at Greg Oden. He has been in the NBA 6 years and has played a total of 105 games and 840 points in those 6 years. He's currently with the Miami Heat. #1 pick, Kwame Brown just retired after 13 years in the NBA and only averaged 10 points a season once in his career. I think NBA teams will keep a lottery pick player and take a leap of faith, obviously giving them much more time to try to develop , than a 2nd round player or FA. This is particularly true with big men.

Just a question. Aren't those longevity stats rather skewed because of the initial investment made in a player taken as an NBA lottery pick? I mean look at Greg Oden. He has been in the NBA 6 years and has played a total of 105 games and 840 points in those 6 years. He's currently with the Miami Heat. #1 pick, Kwame Brown just retired after 13 years in the NBA and only averaged 10 points a season once in his career. I think NBA teams will keep a lottery pick player and take a leap of faith, obviously giving them much more time to try to develop , than a 2nd round player or FA. This is particularly true with big men.

The key point that I see in this article is the disparity between how European/other foreigner pro players can choose at any time to go to the NBA or stay in their current paid jobs. American teens (and Canadians ?) have their initial decision made for them. Do European teens have to go to college for a year before they can be drafted (I don't know) ? One way or another, it seems that foreign players and American teens are not subject tot he same rules. An explanation from anyone who knows the rules would be appreciated.

I've always thought a combination of the old rule that NBA teams couldn't draft a player until his college class had graduated and the open market would be a good one. No one should have to attend college if they don't want to and players who are in college just to play football or basketball are going to be the source of your academic and even disciplinary problems. Let them go pro and learn the game in developmental leagues. College should be for people who want degrees, (some of whom could also be professional athletes). You can't get a degree in 2-3 years of a four year school.

Let kids go pro immediately if they want to but if they choose to go to college, don't draft or sign them before their college class would graduate.

The current situation isn't going to change because the NBA prefers it that way. And they're talking about raising the entry age, to boot. Why would you want to change when you get your feeder system for free?

IMO it should be none and done. But if if it's how it currently is for years to come so be it. However the one thing I would love to see change is the ability to work out for NBA Teams and get a feel for where you're going and be able to return to school if you do not like your projections. Currently you have to be 100% committed to the draft before you work out for anybody. That part kind of sucks

The key point that I see in this article is the disparity between how European/other foreigner pro players can choose at any time to go to the NBA or stay in their current paid jobs. American teens (and Canadians ?) have their initial decision made for them. Do European teens have to go to college for a year before they can be drafted (I don't know) ? One way or another, it seems that foreign players and American teens are not subject tot he same rules. An explanation from anyone who knows the rules would be appreciated.

I think that European players are considered professionals once they get paid for playing on their club teams so they are ineligible to play collegiate ball in the US.(Enes Kanter - Kentucky etc) Their only option is to stay with their club team or the NBA when they lose their amateur status. European schools don't have high school basketball teams, they have independent sports club teams. Foreigners separate academics from education from the very beginning and we don't. I think that's the crux of the issue we don't really want to address.

" The rules now state that high school players will gain eligibility for draft selection one year after their high school graduation and they must also be at least 19 years old as of the end of the calendar year of the draft. Contrary to popular belief, they do not necessarily have to have at least one year of college basketball (as some players have chosen to use that year to play professionally in Europe for example, such as Brandon Jennings) or the NBA's developmental league etc."

I think that European players are considered professionals once they get paid for playing on their club teams so they are ineligible to play collegiate ball in the US.(Enes Kanter - Kentucky etc) Their only option is to stay with their club team or the NBA when they lose their amateur status. European schools don't have high school basketball teams, they have independent sports club teams. Foreigners separate academics from education from the very beginning and we don't. I think that's the crux of the issue we don't really want to address.

" The rules now state that high school players will gain eligibility for draft selection one year after their high school graduation and they must also be at least 19 years old as of the end of the calendar year of the draft. Contrary to popular belief, they do not necessarily have to have at least one year of college basketball (as some players have chosen to use that year to play professionally in Europe for example, such as Brandon Jennings) or the NBA's developmental league etc."
The differences make sense due to different cultures, but why should NBA teams even have to use a draft choice on a player who is already a pro and not under contract with any other NBA team? If NFL teams want to sigh a punter who plays Aussie-rule football in Australia, do they have to use a draft choice before doing so?

The differences make sense due to different cultures, but why should NBA teams even have to use a draft choice on a player who is already a pro and not under contract with any other NBA team? If NFL teams want to sigh a punter who plays Aussie-rule football in Australia, do they have to use a draft choice before doing so?

The NBA is dealing with foreign players already under contract. Below is an explanation of how and why foreign players are drafted the way they are by the NBA.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/...nternational-prospects-dante-exum-dario-saric

I'm confused about the outrage over a high school player waiting a year to be drafted and the silence over the NFL's rule requiring high school players to wait 3 years. Aren't the issues the exact same?

My impression of what he said was that it wouldn't work because the NBA and NFL are not willing to put up the money to set up minor league teams like MLB has. Without them, it's no change from what happens now.

The NBA is dealing with foreign players already under contract. Below is an explanation of how and why foreign players are drafted the way they are by the NBA.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/...nternational-prospects-dante-exum-dario-saric

I'm confused about the outrage over a high school player waiting a year to be drafted and the silence over the NFL's rule requiring high school players to wait 3 years. Aren't the issues the exact same?
Good article, Cherie. It explains a lot of the mystery, especially the Eurostash part. All potential early entry college players not expected to be in the lottery should be required to read that part before making their decision.