Spring Practice begins March 19, Spring Game is April 20 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Practice begins March 19, Spring Game is April 20

Still no word on whether spring practice will be open to the public. One of the last big questions that need to be answered.

Still no word on whether spring practice will be open to the public. One of the last big questions that need to be answered.

Are they going to have an open scrimmage? Here or in Rochester like the last few years?

Well now that "Mr. Personality" has decided to take his shtick to Buffalo, maybe we can finally have some fan friendly events for fans that...ya know....actually live in Syracuse.

Maybe this year they could announce a start time and then actually start the game at that time.

Maybe this year they could announce a start time and then actually start the game at that time.
i think that debacle was 2 years ago. but regardless that was one of the most boneheaded situations I had seen in awhile

I don't know about two years ago but it definetly happened last year

Are they going to have an open scrimmage? Here or in Rochester like the last few years?
Rochester is not going to happen this year, maybe it will be picked up again next year. Hard to do with new staff, etc.

Ya I heard no Rochester and right now the word is the staff is leaning toward having a closed spring practice schedule, though the practice decision is not yet 100%.

Ya I heard no Rochester and right now the word is the staff is leaning toward having a closed spring practice schedule, though the practice decision is not yet 100%.
I could understand if practices are closed. A huge advantage headed into the season, and especially the opening game vs PSU, is that with an entirely new coaching staff and a new QB under center, it will be all but impossible to prepare for us. McDonald claims he shares a "similar offensive philosophy" with Hackett, but all the PSU coaches will have to go on are the 2005-2006 tapes of Western Michigan. Even on defense, I assume Buullough (not Shafer) will be calling the plays this year, so it will be difficult to get a handle on his tendencies.
Even if some of the practices are open to the public, I would expect them to be so plain vanilla that nothing meaningful will be revealed.

I hope there is not double header with Lax for the spring game. I would like it if us fans could get on the turf after the game. I would love to play catch with my 7 year old son on the dome turf.

I hope there is not double header with Lax for the spring game. I would like it if us fans could get on the turf after the game. I would love to play catch with my 7 year old son on the dome turf.

LAX team is away that day.

Just win baby.

I just can't get worked up over closed spring practice sessions.

I could understand if practices are closed. A huge advantage headed into the season, and especially the opening game vs PSU, is that with an entirely new coaching staff and a new QB under center, it will be all but impossible to prepare for us. McDonald claims he shares a "similar offensive philosophy" with Hackett, but all the PSU coaches will have to go on are the 2005-2006 tapes of Western Michigan. Even on defense, I assume Buullough (not Shafer) will be calling the plays this year, so it will be difficult to get a handle on his tendencies.
Even if some of the practices are open to the public, I would expect them to be so plain vanilla that nothing meaningful will be revealed.
I am hoping at least some of the practices will be open to the public. At least one (in addition to the spring game, which we all know is going to be the most vanilla flavored football any of us will see in our lifetime).

They won't be working on game plans. Might experiment with some new looks and new plays here and there but for an open practice, they could limit that with no problem. Some of us are dying to get a look at the team, see how the new coaches go about their business, get a look at some of the young players and get a feel for which players are emerging at each position.

I really hope they open things up for at least one or two practices. We won't be any trouble.

If need be, Orangeyes will shag balls for the punters, OrangeExtreme will serve as water boy and I will move the plastic garbage cans around. Lurker John will bring pepperettes and chewing gum for the players.

I want to see the same folks who were bitching about the big meany closing off access staying consistent.

I want to see the same folks who were bitching about the big meany closing off access staying consistent.

Didn't the "big meany" always keep Spring practices open, but the preseason practices were the ones he closed?

I'll be consistent in saying that I think coaches are way too paranoid about this stuff, but I also understand that almost all coaches do it. So what are you going to do. Hope he keeps some or most of them open though, it's a good way to connect with a small, but very loyal, part of the fanbase.

Shafer struck me as the kind of guy who would say 'I don't care if they know what we're trying to do, they're not going to be able to stop us from doing it'

Didn't the "big meany" always keep Spring practices open, but the preseason practices were the ones he closed?

2012 Spring practices were locked down.

2012 Spring practices were locked down.

Ahh, ok, I think I remember posting about that, because I had thought I remembered Marrone saying something early on his tenure to the effect of Spring practices will always be open while I'm here.

But whatever, it seems to have worked. So we should defer to the guys who know what they're doing. Not like I'm up there to attend anyway.

The part that is going to make it all worse, as a fan who like to read about the progress, is no Rahme. Just no one writing for that place anymore whose player evaluations I would trust.

The part that is going to make it all worse, as a fan who like to read about the progress, is no Rahme. Just no one writing for that place anymore whose player evaluations I would trust.
Other than Donnie, there's probably nobody else around at the paper/media-conglomerate that would even be given access.

And later this summer, they should move family funfest to a wednesday at 11am

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom