Spring Preview and the Year that was | Syracusefan.com

Spring Preview and the Year that was

billsin01

All American
So I suppose we're still two months out but we've certainly had an interesting 5-6 months or so and, as kcsu pointed out in another thread on talent, it's been impossibly boring around here. Figured it might be nice to do a quick wrap-up of what was -- please try not to ruin the thread with how much you hate a guy who said something at halftime of a hoops game (I'm literally begging you) -- and a look at a few interesting storylines heading into spring practice.

Quick-hitting review of the year that was:

Has there ever been a bigger in-season turnaround in the history of this program? I'm sure SWC will direct me to the infamous '52 season, but I can't think of one. P was always good at salvaging a season after a disappointing start (compliment, not insult) but i don't really remember a guy taking a team on a rampage through a conference and then on to a bowl whupping like that. I mean, DM literally went from college HC that, at best, people were largely ambivalent about to a guy that apparently was seriously considered for three NFL jobs. Wow.

Dream jobs are only dream jobs when they're really good jobs. Listen, I'm not trying to stomp on the program, but let's be honest -- it's not crazy to think DM came here thinking he'd be here a decade or more and, over the course of 4 years, he soured. I mean, it could be that simple. But, for the sake of the thread, let's just say it was a dream job and then it wasn't.

Ryan Nassib actually was pretty good. Remember when he sucked? Then he sucked vs. FBS teams? Then he sucked vs. BE teams? Well, he was pretty good. Oh, and Lemon and Sales were pretty good too. And that Pugh kid.

Where did that offensive line come from? Underrated story of the year, IMO, is where the hell that offensive line came from? Was it confidence? The new tempo? The right bodies with the right amount of seasoning? I have no idea but they went from an OL that had struggled to reach the "average" category to a pretty impressive lot.

Spring Practice Preview
I could go on forever on the wrapup, but that stuff has been hashed out. Let's look ahead at questions and storylines pertaining to the spring ... and perhaps beyond.

Meet your new, improved fan-centric coaching staff. Listen, how much we like a coach comes down to how much they win. Sometimes it boils down to how much they win in a two-month span (DM was 25-25 overall, remember). We get that. But I really think this staff appears set on trying to reach out and engage fans/recruits far more than the previous staff. I've said before -- I'm fine with DM's disdain for things like recruiting events and media interviews and booster back-slapping. However, they are a part of this game and while it won't mean we're drawing 45K for a game vs. Maine at noon on a nice Saturday in September, it can't hurt. I hate Twitter, but I love the way McDonald uses it (though I wonder what happens when the hit a two-game rough patch offensively). I like that Shafer seems pretty open and welcoming to the media. I like that they were able to generate some buzz with recruits in an awfully tough situation. Looking forward to this new era.

How do we replace DM/Hackett/Adkins? Love him or hate him, DM figured out a pretty nice formula in '12. He also, unquestionably, set stage with some hard work in terms of foundation. Team was generally well-prepared. Recruits, though lacking stars, generally tended to have solid ability, tended to arrive on campus, and generally developed well, contributing more and more as their careers went on. DM showed some flexibility, trying to figure out what worked before giving the green light to the up-tempo offense that had to run contrary to his nature. As much as I like Shafer -- and believe me, I feel like he's got a lot of great qualities -- he's an unknown. We really don't know much about McDonald as an OC. Yes, half this board has to change their sheets each night after dreaming about all the 5-star kids we're going to sign. But we don't really know what kind of OC he is. And I really know nothing about our OL coach. To the point -- I can't recall his name right now after a couple drinks. So, the point remains, we have some large shoes to fill.

What to do with Mr. Broyld? It's a better problem to have than, say, "is there a doctor somewhere that can fix DC3's hip?" Or "is this the year we actually find a quarterback?" Or "Wait, GRob wasn't fired?" But it's an interesting dilemma. I don't see him at TB or TE b/c I just don't really see the need for him there. I think there are some limitations on him at WR. My vote is to take the spring, give him a looooooonnnnnnnngggggg look at QB, maybe even all the way through Game 1 and then, at worst, have him run wild cat packages. If it doesn't work out, see how he feels about LB. Intriguing player.

Is Loeb the QB? My guess is yes, particularly after Allen's unfortunate departure. As scary as it is to be handing the reigns over after the first "good" QB we've had since McNabb, it's nice to know it's to a 5th-year kid that this staff knows. My feeling is that if someone beats him out, it's likely b/c they are pretty good. That's a good thing.

How much impact will the new faces have? This is more of a fall question, I guess, with the frosh arriving then for the most part. But I can't remember a time when so many newcomers were expected to contribute to a team already in decent shape talent-wise. Six JUCOs, if I counted right, all have a shot with Arciniega apparently in the running to start and Kelly and Williams very much in the running. But that's not all -- you have Raymon at DT, Funderburke at WR and Thompson (provided he's healthy) at TE. Add that to the fact that Loeb/Hunt, Broyld, and a few of the WRs like Lewis and Cornelius, etc., may see serious run after basically doing nothing previously and it's an interesting spot for a team with plenty of returning talent.

Wide receivers -- don't get too excited ... yet. Every year basically every poster on this board gets entirely jacked about the group of WRs we have. I call it the Tim Lane Effect -- where if you lived through that era of SU football, you think if there is a decent amount of talent at WR, then you're going to have rob moore, rob carpenter and marvin harrison running around. Well, it doesn't work that way. I'm excited about the group and I certainly believe system is very important. But I've learned to wait and see on WRs. I like West a lot and think Kobena gets shafted a bit here on this board. But ultimately replacing Lemon and Sales is a tall order.

Ditto for the offensive line. Pugh was really good. How do I know that? I broke down every game tape and graded out his blocking assignments and then ... OK, I don't really know that at all. But everyone else seems to think so and I have no reason to think otherwise. Replacing really good OL is not easy. I will say that it's nice having competition at OG and a solid returnee in Hickey at OT as well as Macky at C. That should make replacing Pugh a bit easier.

Love the potential of the Defense. With the way teams spread things out these days, I'm a firm believer of the idea that most defenses are going to give up some plays and some points. The key is to continue fighting, tackle well and be able to make some disruptive negative plays defensively. It's part talent, part system. It's obviously better to allow fewer points and yards, but it's not essential to be Alabama. So, with that said, I think this defense has a really nice mix of system (Shafer and Bullough) and talent. I really think quality interior lineman are the most valuable commodity you can have and this team appears to have quite a few. You also need rush ends and I like MPB (I know, the numbers weren't pretty last season) and think both Simmons and Welsh can do some work here. Reddish/Lyn quietly may be as a good a pair of corners as we've had here in quite some time. Anderson can play a little and Eskridge and Morgan should be interesting at safety. LBs are a question mark, but I still love Dyshawn Davis. Spruill can play and at least their are two viable candidates at MLB in Lynch and Arciniega.

Specials ... they need to be more special. Saw some improvement here last year. Needs to continue. I particularly look at Fisher and would love to see us punt the ball more consistently. I'm with Millhouse on the whole punting issue, but when you need to punt you should able to do it well.

Anything I forgot?

Edit: One thing I did forget, actually. RB could be an interesting battle. As hard as it is to imagine a talented RB like Smith and/or Gulley losing touches, Broyld figures to have an expanding role and I get the impression that Morris could be something of a game-breaker type. I'm not expecting radical shifts in PT or depth chart post-spring, but I do think it's another intriguing position battle to watch.

great post Bill. Lots to chew on. I hope that Scott doesnt try to change what isnt broken. Stay the course. I have a strong feeling that we are going to continue the trend of becoming a very physical team. I have a good feel about this team. win or lose the other team is going to know that they were in a football game. Given the fact that this staff truly seems to care for each other i think that our family trend will also continue. Im glad that Scott got the job and i like the staff he has put together. Lets get the IPF built and continue our march back

Great post, I will continue to do the opposite of others and thank DM. Yep, he left and raided the cupboards as well as lost on a few others. He rebuilt the broken foundation and brought our next HC in with him 4 years ago. The players are very comfortable with Shafer, Daoust and Moore. Would be great to still have Hack, but he is tied to DM's hip, and this is a business so enough with the "DM lied to Daryl...". The mental toughness that is needed in football has been brought back to life at Syracuse. DM saved that and we can thank him for bringing Shafer to the table. Let's fecking move on.

This Schaeffer tallboy tastes great with my eggs this morning by the way.

And yes, kcsu, the talent pool at SU has not been this deep and talented in a long, long time. And I truly believe it will continue to get better with the 2014 class next year.

Great post, I will continue to do the opposite of others and thank DM. Yep, he left and raided the cupboards as well as lost on a few others. He rebuilt the broken foundation and brought our next HC in with him 4 years ago. The players are very comfortable with Shafer, Daoust and Moore. Would be great to still have Hack, but he is tied to DM's hip, and this is a business so enough with the "DM lied to Daryl...". The mental toughness that is needed in football has been brought back to life at Syracuse. DM saved that and we can thank him for bringing Shafer to the table. Let's fecking move on.

This Schaeffer tallboy tastes great with my eggs this morning by the way.

And yes, kcsu, the talent pool at SU has not been this deep and talented in a long, long time. And I truly believe it will continue to get better with the 2014 class next year.

I agree 1000%. I think over time people will put the 4 years into perspective vs. the last 2 weeks of his tenure and the staff moves. Shafer will build on top of the foundation Marrone put into place. Hopefully the IPF gets done, we surprise a few people in the ACC, and Shafer and company can improve recruiting (I don't see how they don't, given a full year).

Great post. Just know that Ashton will never be a full time QB here so don't be surprised when he doesn't take snaps there in the spring.

Great post. Just know that Ashton will never be a full time QB here so don't be surprised when he doesn't take snaps there in the spring.

Fair enough -- I guess that saves them some time. Will be interesting to see how he's deployed.

Fair enough -- I guess that saves them some time. Will be interesting to see how he's deployed.

He will be moved around alot though. He clearly has the talent to play, it is just an issue because he's somewhat limited from a playbook perspective.

He will be moved around alot though. He clearly has the talent to play, it is just an issue because he's somewhat limited from a playbook perspective.
Exactly. Ashton has the talent and if he can learn a group of plays well enough to be on the field he will be a talented player.

Exactly. Ashton has the talent and if he can learn a group of plays well enough to be on the field he will be a talented player.

Seems, to me anyway, that it would be harder to line him up at different offensive positions and have him learn enough plays to make it a worthwhile move. Why not move him to D, stick him at one position. I know D requires you to know plays as well. But you have a better chance of making a play if you use your above average athleticism to just run fast to the ball and tackle someone, then you do if you're lined up at RB and run left, when the playcall is to run right.

Seems, to me anyway, that it would be harder to line him up at different offensive positions and have him learn enough plays to make it a worthwhile move. Why not move him to D, stick him at one position. I know D requires you to know plays as well. But you have a better chance of making a play if you use your above average athleticism to just run fast to the ball and tackle someone, then you do if you're lined up at RB and run left, when the playcall is to run right.
Same reason Coker hasn't been able to get on the field and same reason Spruill isn't an MLB, can't handle assignments.

Plus, there's too much talent carrying the ball to just give up on.

Same reason Coker hasn't been able to get on the field and same reason Spruill isn't an MLB, can't handle assignments.

I'll take your word for it, but if Spruill's assignments at OLB are a little easier to handle, Broyld could be a nice redshirting understudy this year, and backfill next year.

End of the day, I just hope he has an impact.

I'll take your word for it, but if Spruill's assignments at OLB are a little easier to handle, Broyld could be a nice redshirting understudy this year, and backfill next year.

End of the day, I just hope he has an impact.

Yeah, I feel this way too. People love to reference percy harvin, but there is a handful of guys like that and an enormous pile of discarded experiments and players who never found a position. If I'm concerned about a guys aptitude in terms of remembering assignments, I'm putting him in one spot. I'm not saying that's the right way to approach it, but that would be my line of thinking.

I respect your insight on this b/c you are far closer to the situation than I. But I disagree to some extent with the suggestion above. If we're talking talent (not assignments, etc.), I'd argue a super talented, NFL-type LB can have every bit the impact in this system and in this age of spread offenses as a really good RB. Especially when you consider that Jerome Smith, talent-wise, is pretty average but is still coming off a 1000+ yard season.

And I always point out Tebucky Jones -- elite, elite athlete who was a pretty poor RB -- three years, fewer than 4 ypc (and why did P play him as a frosh to get him 11 carries, by the way?). Switched to DB, had 4 picks, a TD and the rest is history.

I respect your insight on this b/c you are far closer to the situation than I. But I disagree to some extent with the suggestion above. If we're talking talent (not assignments, etc.), I'd argue a super talented, NFL-type LB can have every bit the impact in this system and in this age of spread offenses as a really good RB. Especially when you consider that Jerome Smith, talent-wise, is pretty average but is still coming off a 1000+ yard season.

And I always point out Tebucky Jones -- elite, elite athlete who was a pretty poor RB -- three years, fewer than 4 ypc (and why did P play him as a frosh to get him 11 carries, by the way?). Switched to DB, had 4 picks, a TD and the rest is history.
He's also never played defense...

He's also never played defense...

I understand that. I'm not claiming to know whether he'd be a great LB, only suggesting that I would think focusing on one position would seem logical and that if he had the talent and desire to play defense, there's no real reason he couldn't have as much or more impact on that side of the ball. If the kid has no interest and/or simply doesn't work as a defensive player for whatever reason, that's fine. I can't claim to know that one way or another.

Real good post, Bills.

I agree about the WRs -- when you have a long list of possibles (Foster, Flemming etc), it usually means you are short that one potential stand-out.

Yes the staff knows Loeb -- if you mean the staff now at Orchard Park. An intriguing factor this Spring is that the OC, QB coach, OL coach and RB coach are all new. Presumably they keep what worked well in the second half of 2012; but we might see some fresh ideas, different approaches to OL combinations; new ways to use the second TE or a slot back. Marrone tended to settle quickly on his QB; apart from the Paulus season, the #2 saw few if any snaps. Is that McDonald's approach?

Position shifts -- we have lots of OGs, great depth at DT, question marks at OT. Lots of WRs with size, not many safeties with size.

Who might surprise? Seems to be a consensus on the board about the two-deep, but there are usually a few surprises. Again, with a new staff, there might be more than a few.

Every time I ever feel depressed, I think about how set SU is at RB and I'm in a happy place.

Has there ever been a bigger in-season turnaround in the history of this program? I'm sure SWC will direct me to the infamous '52 season, but I can't think of one. P was always good at salvaging a season after a disappointing start (compliment, not insult) but i don't really remember a guy taking a team on a rampage through a conference and then on to a bowl whupping like that. I mean, DM literally went from college HC that, at best, people were largely ambivalent about to a guy that apparently was seriously considered for three NFL jobs. Wow.

Really nice synopsis of the current state of the program. With regards to your first point, I'm reminded that half-way through last season, when any reasonable scenario for us to qualify for a bowl seemed unlikely, the "Marrone is on the hot seat" posts began to appear. Some day I would love to know the real backstory on why couldn't wait to leave his "dream job".

If I recall correctly, one of T Jones's major problems was ball security. What an amazing athlete!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom