St. Johns is a good team. | Syracusefan.com

St. Johns is a good team.

strumpfasaurus

2nd String
Any win against an NCAA team is a good win. I think we covered the spread as well. I know people are being critical of our players especially Cooney, but at the end of the day, we beat a dang good team who will be in the tournament and Cooney will bounce back. The longer Cooney is here the longer I get to see Thug Cooney. Loving this team.

th.jpg

Any win against an NCAA team is a good win. I think we covered the spread as well. I know people are being critical of our players especially Cooney, but at the end of the day, we beat a dang good team who will be in the tournament and Cooney will bounce back. The longer Cooney is here the longer I get to see Thug Cooney. Loving this team.
St Johns does some things very well -- good on the boards, Harrison played close defense on Cooney, got out in transition (better than we did). They don't shoot it well -- and that is where they need to improve.

I don't believe people are being critical of our players. Ennis, CJ, Grant, and Christmas all played well. Cooney was overmatched vs Harrison, but that will happen some times, and there will be plenty of games when he gets some space and makes 5 threes. People need to understand that the go-to guy (CJ in our case) isn't going to make every shot in the clutch, or play 35 minutes without turn-overs. If he gets 20 points, and makes big shots in the final 4 minutes, we should be happy. OK -- make those free throws at the end, put up 25 and we rest easier.

Orange87 said:
"St. Johns is a good team" …but not as good as they or their fans think they are.

They hung with the number two, undefeated and tested team. They're pretty good.

Does anybody on this board think any team is good or only Syracuse? The backhanded comments against other teams and not giving credit where credit is due is just plain stupidity.

St. John's is very talented and should give plenty of teams problems this year. I'm not a big fan of Harrison but the guy can score and is a very good defender. Sampson is coming along very nicely Jordan will only get better and they have some big athletic bigs who rebound well and block shots. Shooting is the weakness for them no doubt about it but they are deep and can press to go with playing volleyball on the glass to make up for that deficiencie against most teams.

Does anybody on this board think any team is good or only Syracuse? The backhanded comments against other teams and not giving credit where credit is due is just plain stupidity.

Well seeing how you brought it up, I think 'Zona, OhioSt.,L'ville, OSU, and Baylor are very good. I also would say that Wisc, Villa, and Umass are real good. Finally, the teams I don't want to see in the tourney are Dayton, Iowa St., Wisc and Pitt. at this point in the season.

I get so upset when people here knock UConn.

Well seeing how you brought it up, I think 'Zona, OhioSt.,L'ville, OSU, and Baylor are very good. I also would say that Wisc, Villa, and Umass are real good. Finally, the teams I don't want to see in the tourney are Dayton, Iowa St., Wisc and Pitt. at this point in the season.
Easy to add to that list. The margin between SU at 10-0 and several other teams is razor thin.
My additions -- North Carolina & Florida. NC has its top player suspended, and they still look good.

Last edited:
I didn't say that St. John's was not a good team, I said that they aren't as good as they or their fans think. And judging by the fact that they did not win on Sunday despite having the crowd, the lead and the momentum on their side, I'd say that proves my point.

Go look at the St. John's board prior to this game. A lot of them were 'guaranteeing' the win and warning the Orange and their fans that our team will not be prepared, that St. John's is good enough - right now - to take back the mythical crown of 'New York's Team'.

Was the game competitive? Yes. Did St. John's lack the necessary factors to hold the lead and beat the #2 country in the nation down the stretch? Yup.

Do I think there are teams in the country that are as good or better than SU? Of course I do. Just as I know that there are teams that aren't as good that SU will more than likely lose to before the season's over.

St. John's looks to be on the right track, however they are not there yet.

Last edited:
SJU was a good team, their ball distribution made our defense look absolutely clueless.

This very well could have been a much different game if the rims weren't so tight.

I was actually thinking during the game that this is the most complete St. John's team I have seen in years. It's too bad that or maybe it's not so bad that they were so terrible the last few years.

They were really good at not turning the ball over and executing against the zone. Additionally they have some really good athletes... glad we are playing them now rather than later in the year once they figure it out. This win will look better as the season goes on I suspect.

SJU was a good team, their ball distribution made our defense look absolutely clueless.

This very well could have been a much different game if the rims weren't so tight.

See, and all this time I thought they played the games to see which team was better.

Why are so many on this board bending over backwards to kiss the Johnnie's asses? They are a competitive team. Fine - they are good. They just are not as good as Syracuse. Maybe they're not far from from it but presently they are not on the same level.

Last edited:
Syracuse has won 14 of the last 15 meetings, but as Sir'Dominic Pointer said "we match up with them well – we're both athletic teams and have great players – so I would say it's an even match. The better team will win."

Clueless? They lost. They shot terribly from the 3. Both of those facts are a result of the defense that we played. The tight rims argument really sounds silly. Really. Both teams would have been the benefactors of the "tight rims" if in fact there was such a thing. It follows that if somehow the composition of the rims affected the amount of shots that went through them, the only way that another team could be more influenced by that is by taking more shots which would result in more shots that didn't go in because of the "tight rims".

JB has it right. He states that it comes down to who makes the most good plays. Yesterday Syracuse made the most good plays. We won. It's really that simple.

Saint Johns had a better approach to attacking our offense than both Baylor and California. Fortunately for SJU, they caught SU on an off night. They aren't close to us, but they are not a bad team.

You guys really need to learn how to stop taking stuff so negatively. The Johnnies are not close to us. It's not wrong however to say that they are a pretty decent team. With recruits like Jordan, they should be a competitive team.

I mean for god sakes I bet I could probably get crap for saying UConn deserves to be in the top 20.

Saint Johns had a better approach to attacking our offense than both Baylor and California. Fortunately for SJU, they caught SU on an off night. They aren't close to us, but they are not a bad team.

You guys really need to learn how to stop taking stuff so negatively. The Johnnies are not close to us. It's not wrong however to say that they are a pretty decent team. With recruits like Jordan, they should be a competitive team.

I mean for god sakes I bet I could probably get crap for saying UConn deserves to be in the top 20.
Not if you were referring to their woman's team.

Well said, my bro. Keep the positive energy up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom