St. John's thoughts | Syracusefan.com

St. John's thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
St. John's has a great shot blocker named Obekpa who played most of the game but did not start. Before he got in the game Syracuse was able to score down low with great effectiveness. This forced St. John's to put Obekpa in the game (and keep him in) as well as pack their zone in and force Syracuse to beat them from the outside. At this point Boeheim put Southerland in for Grant and Syracuse changed to a more perimeter oriented style of offense, and burned them that way. In other words, no matter what St. John's did they were going to get burned.

I think this was Syracuse's best game of the season for three reasons.

First, they won the game with their offense much more so than with their defense (and it might be the first time all year you can say that). They hit shots, and that always makes you look better, but it was the offensive execution as a whole that made the difference and not just the fact that their shots fell. What stood out the most to me was how well Syracuse moved the ball. They seemed to know exactly how they wanted to attack St. John's zone which was unexpected, because quite frankly Syracuse has looked lost against zone's this season. The ball movement was crisp and purposeful and it resulted in open shots. I would have been happy with their offensive performance even if fewer shots dropped.

Second, but related to the first, is that I think Carter-Williams played the best game of his career. Southerland made a big difference here. He allows Syracuse to space the court in a way that allows Carter-Williams to operate with peak efficiency, but its more than that. Southerland and and Carter-Williams play well off each other. In football every great QB has a favorite wide receiver they go to when things are tough, a security blanket if you will. Montana had Rice, Brady has Welker, and Carter-William's security blanket is Southerland. When things are tough, Southerland can set a pick or come off one, get open (this is key), make a great target, and provide Syracuse with a good offensive possession. Having this prevents Carter-Williams from forcing things that are not there.

While having Southerland made a difference for Carter-Williams, it isn't the whole story. A big part of Carter-Williams good play was the fact that he was hitting shots. That really does make all the difference for him. When the D has to respect him as a scoring threat it opens up a lot for him as a creator. But even that isn't the whole story. Carter-Williams got Syracuse into a good offensive possession 90% of the time. He was fantastic in this regard, and Syracuse needs him to be fantastic. Even better, he was fantastic against a zone which is he has always struggled against (I'm not sure he's even been adequate against a zone yet this year).

Third, Syracuse's half court offense was efficient. I think this was the first game all year that Syracuse played at a championship caliber. Up until this game, Syracuse's record was largely the product of solid D and a weak schedule. If we are being completely honest with ourselves we have to say that Syracuse hasn't played very good basketball up to this point. But there is good news, this team is ALL about the up side. In this year where there really are no great teams, somebody is going to get hot in March and win it all no matter how great (or not so great) they were all year long. Lets take a look at what needs to happen for that team to be Syracuse.

First, we needed Southerland back, which we got, and at just the right time. Syracuse has a relatively easy 4 game stretch of St.John's, UConn, Seton Hall, and Providence where Southerland can be reincorporated and Syracuse can pull themselves together for a tough late season run (that will include Georgetown twice, Louisville, and Marquette). Ideally, Syracuse will be hitting their stride right when they are going to need to play their best basketball.

Second, Carter-Williams, needs to make the leap into a star basketball player. We are not going to be a good team unless he is good, and we are not going to be a great team unless he is great. Here's the good news. He is so talented, that there is a 100% chance of this happening. The bad news is, it might not necessarily be this year. But Carter-Williams looked very good in this game, and there have been some signs that he's starting to "get it." Unless his body wears down (which is a legit concern) I expect him to be playing at his best come March. If Syracuse wants to be cutting down the nets, we as fans have to hope that is best falls somewhere in the great category and doesn't top out in the good category. To me, Carter-Williams is going to determine how the rest of our season plays out more than any other factor.

Third, Christmas needs to be a force offensively and defensively. Against St. John's Christmas's numbers were not good. But I thought his play was. His lack of minutes were due mostly to the fact that Keita was also having a good game, and two phantom fouls which got him in foul trouble. Early on I thought Chrsitmas was aggressive and a force St. John's really needed to game plan against. This follows up Christmas playing the best game of his career against Notre Dame. I will be especially looking forward to seeing how he plays against UConn (who is woefully weak inside). I'm hoping for something big, and I expect good things going down the stretch.

For some odd reason a bunch of people (maybe 4, it seemed like a lot) talked to me yesterday about Grant playing center. I dont like it. Championship teams dont have skinny 6'8 freshmen centers who have no experience playing center (even in high school). If Syracuse is going to cut down the nets, a big part of that is going to be due to Christmas being a beast inside. I hope Boeheim sticks with Christmas come hell or high water, because he is the only big with the talent to get us where we need to go.

Just a few random thoughts about this game. Fair was hitting threes, mid-range jumpers, scoring down low, and driving to the basket and scoring. There is just no way to stop him right now. While some of his lefty floaters are reminiscent of Josh Pace, I think those comparisons need to stop. Fair is looking more like a poor man's Carmelo Anthony, than Josh Pace. He might be the best player in the Big East.

This game was a great example of what Southerland does for Syracuse. For lack of a better term, he is another bullet in their gun. When St. John's cut the lead to five, Southerland hit a couple really big 3's to seal the deal. As well as Grant has played, he is not someone we are going to force the ball to when things get tough. In the NCAA tournament Syracuse is going to play four or five good team who will all make runs and force Syracuse to respond. Southerland shooting from deep is one response it has now that it might not have had. If Syracuse wants to win six games in March/April they are going to need that shooting, to go along with the great things Triche and Fair are already doing. Add in contributions from Carter-Williams and Christmas and they might at least have the potential to answer every challenge.

St. John's is a pretty decent team. They are young and threw up a lot of bad shots (especially early) but if everybody sticks around (Sampson staying in college might be a long shot) I think they win a weak Big East conference next year.

Good post. I was more excited about the defense. 11 steals, forced 16 turnovers (11 in the first half). We really are starting to play some pretty damn good defense and I am hoping this trend continues for the remainder of the season.

Really good post - I agreed w everything except CJ looking like a poor man's Melo. I love CJs game. CJ will carve you up with any kind of an opening be it inside or outside, but Melo was a bona fide creator (of his own shot), and has talent at a level far beyond CJs.

The way I see our team, we have three forwards with CJ, James, and now Jerami. As long as two of them are playing well in a given game we will be OK. We have two good guards - we need for both of them to play well as Cooney is not an answer for a bad game by MCW or Brandon. We have a weak inside game that can improve, but is still the overall Achilles heel of this team.

Our D should keep us competitive in all games, but to get to Atlanta, as you point out, we will need a high level of consistent play from MCW and at least a few solid games from X along the way.

We have enough pieces to be a FF team, but there is really very little margin for error against strong teams. In a one and done tourney, a team with no third guard and an erratic or non-existant inside game will be vulnerable to an upset if a wheel comes off a key piece.

Carter-Williams was just darn good on both ends. There were lapses, but he really locked down on defense on a few possessions. And the offense was great. After twenty-odd games of mostly mediocre execution, it was refreshing to see things click for so many guys at the same time today:

The assist numbers finally took a leap due to better ball movement (both guards above 6), Triche was efficient, Carter-Williams was unselfish (and looked to feed Keita several times), South was as good as could be expected (rusty on defense, but that'll come back with game reps), and Fair is getting to the point where he's automatic from about four spots on the floor - an actual go-to guy.

That was fun. It'll be interesting to see what Rakeem does in a full game with better spacing as a result of one more threat on the floor.

Really good post - I agreed w everything except CJ looking like a poor man's Melo. I love CJs game. CJ will carve you up with any kind of an opening be it inside or outside, but Melo was a bona fide creator (of his own shot), and has talent at a level far beyond CJs.

The way I see our team, we have three forwards with CJ, James, and now Jerami. As long as two of them are playing well in a given game we will be OK. We have two good guards - we need for both of them to play well as Cooney is not an answer for a bad game by MCW or Brandon. We have a weak inside game that can improve, but is still the overall Achilles heel of this team.

Our D should keep us competitive in all games, but to get to Atlanta, as you point out, we will need a high level of consistent play from MCW and at least a few solid games from X along the way.

We have enough pieces to be a FF team, but there is really very little margin for error against strong teams. In a one and done tourney, a team with no third guard and an erratic or non-existant inside game will be vulnerable to an upset if a wheel comes off a key piece.

CJ lacks the low post scoring dimension that Melo had and utilized to great effectiveness, but otherwise I don't think it is a bad comparison. I don't agree with your assessment that CJ can't create his own shot. He's doing it quite effectively, actually.

I'm not suggesting that he is on par talent-wise with Carmelo--but the OP wasn't making that claim either [hence his designation as "poor man's melo"].

CJ lacks the low post scoring dimension that Melo had and utilized to great effectiveness, but otherwise I don't think it is a bad comparison. I don't agree with your assessment that CJ can't create his own shot. He's doing it quite effectively, actually.

I'm not suggesting that he is on par talent-wise with Carmelo--but the OP wasn't making that claim either [hence his designation as "poor man's melo"].

What really blows me away with CJ is that teams continue to give him that baseline jump shot which is turning into an almost automatic make (you know what I mean). I would have to think that eventually teams will start having to take that away as he has hit that shot all year consistently.

What really blows me away with CJ is that teams continue to give him that baseline jump shot which is turning into an almost automatic make (you know what I mean). I would have to think that eventually teams will start having to take that away as he has hit that shot all year consistently.

It's a layup for him at this point.

The problem I have with the team, and I think the one thing that keeps them from cutting down the nets at the end of the year, is the lack of killer instinct. They had their feet on St. John's neck with about 5-6 minutes left in the first half, and they let them get back up. They should have buried St. John's and coasted to a 25+ pt win. Same think happened in the Villanova loss.

They really need that killer instinct.

There's no question that his "spot" is left baseline.

A big part of CJ's very impressive shooting percentage from three point range is that he picks his spots and doesn't take bad shots.

I agree with meat of your post, JS back, MCW to the next level, and improvement out of Rak, is the recipe for good things out of this team.

I also agree to just saying no to the Grant at Center experiment for the most part. My only exception would be in case of foul trouble. I would rather see JG in the middle than that dreadful 3 guard lineup. The zone places a defensive emphasis on the center and it is the position most likely to experience foul trouble. So, JB needs to be careful in foul management there. We no longer have DC2 to steal 5 minutes. I thought JB might run JG out there at center and steal a couple of minutes before the 4 minute mark when we experienced the foul trouble with Rak and BMK.

My major disagreement with you is over the outrageous claim that St Johns will somehow win the Big East next year. Not the team I just saw, no way, no how. They can get everyone back and add Mark Jackson and still finish middle of the pack. That Harrison has peaked as a gunner. The guy in the middle (Sampson) was good. And that is it. No one else of any consequence. How is that team even being considered over LVille, Gtown, and Cincy? I would still take NDame (they will still have Grant), and Marq (they are better now and will get some jucos) and "Nova over the Johnnies. No way St Johns wins the BE next year. Not that team.

I think Rak is the key to how far this team can go
Agree completely, and I think the coaches realize this too. They seem to be really getting on him and pushing him. With Southerland back this teams biggest "weakness" is the lack of a consistent presence in the middle of the zone. Rak doesn't need to be a super star, but he does need to show up for every single game and play hard on defense. Offensively if he can get 6-8 points a game that would be huge.

Great post, as usual, General. There is a very good reason you've garnered so many likes. I think Roc's development is a huge difference-maker. I think he's going to be a very enigmatic player for as long as he's in Orange. Too bad, because he has the raw materials to be good every game.