St Marys Better Not | Syracusefan.com

St Marys Better Not

Will be really interesting to see what happens with them

#28 in KenPom. I suspect ratings will put them over the top as they rely more on it especially for more mid-majors who can't really compete in the standard metrics.

I think they get in. They would have needed to Pepperdine. That would have clearly knocked them out.

rooting for zaga to beat BYU by 50.

#28 in KenPom. I suspect ratings will put them over the top as they rely more on it especially for more mid-majors who can't really compete in the standard metrics.

I think they get in. They would have needed to Pepperdine. That would have clearly knocked them out.

The one thing I keep looking at is their non-conference slate. It seems like the committee has stressed the importance of that over the last handful of years.

The one thing I keep looking at is their non-conference slate. It seems like the committee has stressed the importance of that over the last handful of years.

They have one win to hang their hat on, which is Gonzaga (who they lost to in the return game, pretty handily). Literally not another win worth even mentioning. On top of that, they have losses to Washington State (RPI 173), San Francisco (RPI 136) and Georgia (RPI 83; 16-14 record). Seems the only reason they were even in the top 25 was because they piled up a bunch of wins against garbage (RPI SOS of 164, versus Syracuse at 12).

They have one win to hang their hat on, which is Gonzaga (who they lost to in the return game, pretty handily). Literally not another win worth even mentioning. On top of that, they have losses to Washington State (RPI 173), San Francisco (RPI 136) and Georgia (RPI 83; 16-14 record). Seems the only reason they were even in the top 25 was because they piled up a bunch of wins against garbage (RPI SOS of 164, versus Syracuse at 12).

I tend to agree. They have 4 top 100 wins. They have a SOS of 184 and a NCSOS of 186. Two sub 130 losses. They do have good advanced metrics, they do have a good number of road/neutral wins. I think it will be close.

I tend to agree. They have 4 top 100 wins. They have a SOS of 184 and a NCSOS of 186. Two sub 130 losses. They do have good advanced metrics, they do have a good number of road/neutral wins. I think it will be close.

I just think that road/neutral wins are pretty overvalued when they come against tomato cans. Of course, we lost to two tomato cans on the road this year, so what do I know?

they beat gonzaga we beat clemson. they have 5 losses. call it even.

Wins against teams likely in the field:
St. Mary's 1 (Gonzaga)
Syracuse 5 (Clemson, Miami, Va Tech, Louisville, Iona)

they also beat harvard and byu. you can only play the schedule in front of you.

Last edited:

If you need to try to pass off Harvard, with a record of 16-12 and RPI of 120, as an impressive win, that's proof that your resume sucks. That's like us touting our Eastern Michigan win as impressive (16-11 with RPI of 109).

Not true non conf is mostly controlled by the team except tournaments

harvard shared the league title and plays in ivy league tournament this weekend.

harvard shared the league title and plays in ivy league tournament this weekend.

Cool, a terrible one-bid league. Harvard also lost to Holy Cross (RPI 266), Manhattan (RPI 228), CSU Fullerton (RPI 162), George Washington (RPI 194), Minnesota (RPI 171), Wofford (RPI 126), Columbia (RPI 316!) and Penn (RPI 124). They are a bad team in an even worse conference.

and who did iona lose to ?

They also lost to terrible teams. I'm not out here pimping them as Syracuse's second best win, however. They aren't even in our top 7 or 8 wins. Again, if you need to count Harvard or BYU as your second best win, your resume sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom