Stall ball | Syracusefan.com

Stall ball

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Im a fan of stall ball because its proven successfull and it gives the other team less time and opportunities to score, but at the same time its takes us out of attack mode, trying to score, messes the rythm of our offense and hinders what we are good at transition baskets. Thoughts?

To me you just do the math. How many possessions (3 point increments) are you ahead vs. How many 35 second increments left on the clock. If your ahead by more possessions, you work the clock. Obviously there can be turnovers or missed free throws, but on the other hand the trailing team needs to execute perfectly. Just a rule of thumb but one I track while watching games.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Im a fan of stall ball because its proven successfull and it gives the other team less time and opportunities to score, but at the same time its takes us out of attack mode, trying to score, messes the rythm of our offense and hinders what we are good at transition baskets. Thoughts?

Is that you, Bo Ryan?

To my knowledge its only failed once...it's tjust that that one time was a disaster.

I'm a fan of winning games and this end game strategy has worked out very well for JB over the years, with very few exceptions. Whether you or I or the fanbase think this is an aesthetically pleasing brand of basketball is irrelevant.

Stall ball is fine with me if we have an above average half-court offense. Not when it involves pounding the ball at the top of the key for 30 seconds then jacking up a poor shot. Don't want to start one of those discussions about how unproven DC2, Cooney and MCW are, but I think this coming season we will have one, with a serviceable distributor and scoring options from all areas of the floor. So stall away.

I am not a fan of stall ball per se unless there is only a minute or two or less left in the game.

To me the key is good execution whether in stall ball mode or just running the regular O. I actually prefer running the regular O, but being really choosy about only taking high precentage shots at whatever point in the shot clock they might become available.

Jimmy has shown that he does have good timing overall in terms of when to go to stall ball, but every once in awhile he slows it down way too early IMHO when we are playing great, have all the momentum, and there is still 5+ minutes left on the clock. I say keep playing & just flat out put the game away.

To my knowledge its only failed once...it's tjust that that one time was a disaster.

The Pitt game a few years back when we had a 7 point lead?

Blows when deployed as a game long strategy, awesome to close a game out.

To many games to count, the year with Flynn and Greene we lost like 4 or 5 games that year because of stall ball (USF game on a wed night specifically stands out). Also the Butler game, JB tried to speed the tempo up the whole second half, using hand gestures and a lot of body movement to get the team to speed the game up. We finally speed the game up get a 4 point lead with 3-4 min left and immediately slowed the game down playing the style of ball Butler wanted to play (we know how that game ended).

Hate it. I know that it works but I'd still love to see if all those games we won by 5 would have been wins by 20 if JB had kept his foot on the gas. And the opponent's neck.

Hate it. I know that it works but I'd still love to see if all those games we won by 5 would have been wins by 20 if JB had kept his foot on the gas. And the opponent's neck.
So, does that gold plate the W? Does it make it worth more than one win?

attack.attack and then when all hope is lost... attack!

stall ball is for losers.

Just off the top of my head I can think of 4 debacles...going back to a certain game at Manley Fieldhouse.
Another was a Big East title game.

You do what the game strategy dictates.
But if you're going to hold the ball...you better not be turnover prone...you better
make free throws...and you better play tough defense.

So, does that gold plate the W? Does it make it worth more than one win?

No, but it greatly improves my blood pressure....

As for the worth, I think there can be some great debate as to whether or not the rankings equate big wins with just wins. And those rankings can set us up with lower seeds in the NCAA tourney which allows us to move forward into the next rounds a little more easily.

Just off the top of my head I can think of 4 debacles...going back to a certain game at Manley Fieldhouse.
Another was a Big East title game.

You do what the game strategy dictates.
But if you're going to hold the ball...you better not be turnover prone...you better
make free throws...and you better play tough defense.

If you have to go back to a Manley game, I think that just reinforces my stance.

No...the Butler game mentioned above.

I don't think we lost that Pitt game becasue of stall ball. We lost games that year becasue we sucked.

No, but it greatly improves my blood pressure....

As for the worth, I think there can be some great debate as to whether or not the rankings equate big wins with just wins. And those rankings can set us up with lower seeds in the NCAA tourney which allows us to move forward into the next rounds a little more easily.
NCAA seeds have much heavier emphasis on W-L and who you played than how much you won by.

NCAA seeds have much heavier emphasis on W-L and who you played than how much you won by.

I know that's what they say, but given equal records, opponents, etc, I believe they do have a tendency to look at how we finished the games as well. Besides, wouldn't it be better for all of us to win by 20?

I know that's what they say, but given equal records, opponents, etc, I believe they do have a tendency to look at how we finished the games as well. Besides, wouldn't it be better for all of us to win by 20?

We were a 1-seed in 2009. It's about winning games. It works almost every time, and a win is a win. The players still have to execute (the Pitt and Umass games stick out in 2007 IIRC)

How did stall ball cost SU against USF that year? SU trailed by double digits at halftime and never led in the 2nd half.

Honestly who looks this stuff up? But you win this time, maybe this game just sticks out because of how poorly we played. But there were plenty of games that year that were a disaster down the stretch because of stall ball. One of my least favorite qualities of Jimmy B though, he takes his foot off the pedal way to early sometimes.

Honestly who looks this stuff up? But you win this time, maybe this game just sticks out because of how poorly we played. But there were plenty of games that year that were a disaster down the stretch because of stall ball. One of my least favorite qualities of Jimmy B though, he takes his foot off the pedal way to early sometimes.

Yeah..how dare anyone asks that you have your facts correct.

To many games to count, the year with Flynn and Greene we lost like 4 or 5 games that year because of stall ball (USF game on a wed night specifically stands out). Also the Butler game, JB tried to speed the tempo up the whole second half, using hand gestures and a lot of body movement to get the team to speed the game up. We finally speed the game up get a 4 point lead with 3-4 min left and immediately slowed the game down playing the style of ball Butler wanted to play (we know how that game ended).

Some will argue this, but that's my assessment, too. Stall ball lost the Butler game (with the help of, among other things, a WWE officiating crew, a grotesque offensive drought to start the game, a snoozer of a performance from our center, and a last-minute change to an odd high-low combination).

Also, I'll never get why Paul Harris gets blamed for the Pittsburgh game. Let's see: he takes an inbounds pass under the Pitt basket while the whole bench is screaming for him to be fouled, two Pitt players mug him, no whistle is blown, the ball comes free, Sam Young gets a bucket.

Other than not setting up to take the pass there, I don't know what people think Harris should've done differently. Guy got fouled, lost the ball. Cut him a break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom