Stanford is the only FBS school that employs African-Americans | Syracusefan.com

Stanford is the only FBS school that employs African-Americans

This is not a shot at you OE by any means, but I cannot stand these type of articles. It only fuels the racism debate. ESPN loves the controversy; I mean the "clicks".

I'd love to know the percentage of universities that are 2/3 black, and 1/3 black and 0/3 black. Which of course means the inverse is for the white people.

Frankly I'd be shocked if the percentage of universities with 3/3 of these positions are filled by all white people is probably less than 5%. But hey that's not important to point out...

I'd love to know the percentage of universities that are 2/3 black, and 1/3 black and 0/3 black. Which of course means the inverse is for the white people.

Frankly I'd be shocked if the percentage of universities with 3/3 of these positions are filled by all white people is probably less than 5%. But hey that's not important to point out...

Then I think you would be VERY shocked.

Then I think you would be VERY shocked.

You really think there aren't a great deal of African Americans in those posts across the country? I would think the overwhelming majority of schools have a t least one African Americans in one of those three posts.

This issue is not a question about population distribution. It's a question about racial make up of participants.

African-Americans make up 13% of the US population, but more than 50% of the NFL and NBA are black. The question being is asked is this- If so many guys can play the game at such a high level, how come so few are given the opportunity to coach it?

I'm not offering you an opinion here.

I'm just outlining the argument.

as the athletic director, head football coach and head men's basketball coach.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...letics-sign-real-progress-college-sports-ncaa

Interesting aside on the position of "Stanford Head Basketball Coach"--there isn't one.

The actual title is "Anne and Tony Joseph Director of Basketball". In other words, the position is endowed. Can you imagine how large the gift was to enable endowment of a position that pays $1M+?

If I remember it correctly, Ohio St has endowed all 85 of their football scholarships.

There definitely is a caste system in D-I athletics. It's hard work for many schools to compete with the monied blue bloods. I think SU has done a pretty good job with limited resources. And for that, our last 2 AD's deserve applause.

I would bet the number is more like 50%+/- all white.

Off the top of my head:

Pitt
WVU
BC
Clemson
Duke
UNC
Georgia Tech
UMiami
Notre Dame
Cincinnati
Michigan

After further searching:
NC State (white female AD)
Wake Forest

Gonna stop counting here. I bet you could sing We Didn't Start the Fire with all white athletic department universities. And not repeat a name.

In the ACC alone, 10/15 schools (including ND) have a white HFC, HBC, and AD. I would guess that number is not as high, but still around 50% for the rest of the FBS.

That article must have taken awhile to fact check. What parts of Africa did all those Stanford folks immigrate from? Truthfully I'm not sure where Gross, Shafer, or Boeheim families immigrated from.

Can anyone come up with a list of all schools who have D1 football & basketball? If so, everyone one can do a school or two & we can answer the questions.

Edit: This article from Jan 31, 2013 says that in 2012 of the 124 schools playing D1 football there were only 15 black head coaches in America. Interesting enough, the Big 10 has not had one in the last decade.

This article lists:

Kent State...Darrell Hazel

Louisville...Charlie Strong

Texas A&M...Kevin Sumlin

Stanford...David Shaw

Here is a list of all D1 Football coaches

Here is a list of all D1 basketball coaches

Here is the 2012 racial and gender report card released on July 10, 2013

Can anyone come up with a list of all schools who have D1 football & basketball? If so, everyone one can do a school or two & we can answer the questions.

Edit: This article from Jan 31, 2013 says that in 2012 of the 124 schools playing D1 football there were only 15 black head coaches in America. Interesting enough, the Big 10 has not had one in the last decade.

Eastern Michigan has black football and basketball coaches (English and Murphy), plus a woman as an Athletic Director. I wonder how rare that is.

ACC is 10/15 all white.

Big 12 is 8/10 all white

AAC is 5/10 all white

B1G is 10/12 all white

PAC 12 is 8/12 all white

SEC is 5/14 all white

SUNY at Buffalo was once 3 for 3, but now they're 0 for 3. Have they become racist or are they just colorblind?

SUNY at Buffalo was once 3 for 3, but now they're 0 for 3. Have they become racist or are they just colorblind?

I think it would be hard to accuse any individual institution of being racist. But, the system may be viewed as implicitly so based upon raw statistics.

thats_racist_animated1.gif

I'd like to see the analysis by some reporter, not posters on this board, based upon either all three positions filled by white males versus any of the three positions filled by either a female and/or a person of color.

Cheers,
Neil

I'd like to see the analysis by some reporter, not posters on this board, based upon either all three positions filled by white males versus any of the three positions filled by either a female and/or a person of color.

Cheers,
Neil

You don't trust posters on this board? ;)

Seriously, I think there are more than a few people who post here who could research the question thoroughly--if they had the time and were inclined to do the work.

Eastern Michigan has black football and basketball coaches (English and Murphy), plus a woman as an Athletic Director. I wonder how rare that is.
That's like a 1943 copper penny.

You don't trust posters on this board? ;)

Seriously, I think there are more than a few people who post here who could research the question thoroughly--if they had the time and were inclined to do the work.

Well I can think of one - SWC - for sure. But if it's important enough for this reporter to write an article about I wish they had done it.

Cheers,
Neil

Well I can think of one - SWC - for sure. But if it's important enough for this reporter to write an article about I wish they had done it.

Cheers,
Neil

Good point. Ivan Maisel does some good work. I wonder if he will follow up on this piece, expanding the research; or if he, and/or his editor, have determined that answering the macro question is not a good use of their time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom