Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition

It will be interesting to see how this is managed.

What if everyone redshirts now? Here me out...
Say we need an extra body or 2 at WR. Instead of say, Hendrix playing and everyone else redshirting, now Hendrix plays 4, Queeley plays 4, Harris play 4, Lutz plays 4...

Why burn any redshirt when you can use a committee?
At RB we can rotate Dixon and Howard, etc.

I wonder who gets to be a 4 game RS?
I'm guessing we'll see more on special teams. Will be a good indicator of who the staff thinks will be contributers, the following year.
Granted, I kinda hate special teams, but... if you're trotting them out just for special teams, I kinda wonder what the point is. It's a part of the game that matters, but it's such a minor part compared to the primary action that takes place on offense and defense.

See what they can do when it really matters.

Two things stand out to me:
First, this really encourages scheduling cupcakes OOC. Almost makes for a true pre season where players are auditioning for roles once the conference season starts. Easier to do that against StonyBrook than Notre Dame.
Second, it will be interesting to see where in the schedule the four games are used. Do you burn them early to get a better read on freshmen’s ability to contribute or do you save them for November when you may need the additional depth and the newbies should be more acclimated to the system.
Interesting dynamics.

Two things stand out to me:
First, this really encourages scheduling cupcakes OOC. Almost makes for a true pre season where players are auditioning for roles once the conference season starts. Easier to do that against StonyBrook than Notre Dame.
Second, it will be interesting to see where in the schedule the four games are used. Do you burn them early to get a better read on freshmen’s ability to contribute or do you save them for November when you may need the additional depth and the newbies should be more acclimated to the system.
Interesting dynamics.
Or do you play them for a couple in the beginning of the year so coaches can review film and give them tasks to improve upon. Then if someone gets dinged up a couple games you have them to use or you just play them a couple games at the end of the year to see how they have progressed and they are hopefully playing better for having that early game time where they got to gauge what they need to work on.

This may actually help schools like SU. How many times has a 4 or 5* kid signed with 'Bama and then found out in his first or second year that he is 4 or 5 deep behind other 4 or 5* players?

Say we need an extra body or 2 at WR. Instead of say, Hendrix playing and everyone else redshirting, now Hendrix plays 4, Queeley plays 4, Harris play 4, Lutz plays 4...

Interesting concept.

As much as I like the the concept... Best guy plays. Instead of burning the shirt in an emergency, we get the option for 4 games, which should help now- AND give us that grad year. I think this really helps with depth, in the future.

I do think many four shirts will mostly see action on specials, to prepare them for the following year. Not exciting, I know. But a good opportunity to get game reps.

For positional play... I wonder if they'll hold some kids back-that are borderline-and just give them the last 4 games... Where they may have otherwise burned the shirt.

I think it's a win win, for players, staff, and depth.

Last edited:
First, I think this is a great move by the NCAA. Good to see them enact a change that helps the players for once. Well done.

I would think if a true frosh that will be redshirted plays his first season, it will likely be towards the end of the season, after injuries/attrition open up playing time and the young players learn the playbook and improve. We have had times late in the year when most of the special teams units were staffed by walk-ons. Not good. Further, in a 'lost' season, where the possibility of a bowl game has been eliminated, coaches will be tempted to turn over the team, bench some seniors and give the talented true frosh a chance.

This rule should help a team like Syracuse, who has had less depth than any school in the ACC from day one. It will help a little during the year they play 4 or less games and even more down the road the following season and beyond.

Will the staff play a bunch of true frosh early in the season in OOC to see how good they are? I don't think so. I would think you want to save those games for later in the season when they might be needed more. But I could be wrong. It would not be the first time...

It is a shame this rule wasn't put in place last year. We could have really taken advantage of it with guys with DeVito, Iffy, Coley and Richards.

I have a feeling we'll see some RS guys in the glorified exhibition game against Wagner and then shut down until 2-3 games left in the season to fill depth spots and allowing them more time to learn the play book.

The new rule sucks.

More work for me.

I'll have to pin another thread to the top of the board to keep track of how many games everyone has played.

Otherwise, "How many games can XXX still play?" will be the new "What channel is the game on?"

:cool::p:oops::rolleyes:

I think this will help keep the true frosh "in the game". Coaches will impress upon the newbies that they must prepare themselves every week to be used at any time.

Did they backdate this to 2000 so Johnnie Morant can use his 5th year in 2018?
What about the Rice Moss brigade??

Vindicated...

I have a feeling we'll see some RS guys in the glorified exhibition game against Wagner and then shut down until 2-3 games left in the season to fill depth spots and allowing them more time to learn the play book.
I see something along these lines exactly. This would be especially true for the guys who are close and might have had their shirts burned in the past. They get a quick feel (as do the coaches) and then they are told they will see action in conference play so that they do't get upset about shirting when they were told they'd get a shot (see Mr. Devito's comments here).

This rule should help a team like Syracuse, who has had less depth than any school in the ACC from day one. It will help a little during the year they play 4 or less games and even more down the road the following season and beyond.
Not sure ultimately. You could say the same for the 4 and 5 stars at Clemson and FSU that might be shirting due to good depth. Getting them in, even in garbage time will help with their in game experience too and they also will benefit and be better acclimated when they need to see the field for real. Less depth is less depth. My thought is this is about more experience, not more depth. Ultimately as you stated, this does give the players, the individuals a better opportunity, so good on the NCAA for that. As has been stated, where it potentially helps SU more is in that injury pinch, where we may have a good one shirting and can now use him. It doesn't give us an advantage however, it just potentially levels the field a bit (assumes the RS frosh is good enough to play as a frosh).

As for timing, keep in mind that late in the season is conference time, so that is really throwing them into the fire. That is why I think they will want to/have to "try them out" in a soft O.O.C. game.

I believe that the new rule allowing Frosh to play in 4 games and retain their RS status is going to help us significantly. Having an additional 20 plus players available is huge for a program lacking in depth. It will be interesting to see how the staff utilizes our frosh this season.

This will be interesting. If you play them early in the games that we hope to have playing time available, they won't be available if needed later in the season. If you hold off just in case you need the depth later in the year, the opportunity may never come, if we can stay healthy and we're in tight games. It doesn't seem to make sense to play a guy late in the season that hasn't played all year, unless we're in a blowout or he's an impact player. If he's an impact player, it makes sense to play him all year and burn the shirt anyway. I'm looking forward to see how it plays out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom