Starting with the GT game... | Syracusefan.com

Starting with the GT game...

Gabjon

All American
GT exposed the fact that our guards starting with Frank do not deal with ball pressure well and as a result it disrupts our entire offense. There is not better example of this than the Duke game where we were getting blown out the game the first 6 minutes of the game until their ball hawking guard Tre Jone got hurt. Putting the ball in Battles hands helps a little, but he is basically only looking to score. You don't have to beat your man off the dribble to be pressure defense, although that is the easiest and most efficient way to do so.
First off Frank needs to put his defender on his hip and protect the ball, the crossover that got ripped at half court in the first half of the last game has to go. Frank should be able to use his size to control his defender and it drives me nuts that he doesn't do that, but running off the ball screens with Chukwu screening for Brissett or Hughes depending on match-ups will free them up for a shot or drive. With our guards being pressure they should have plenty of room to roam. Btw we ran plays like this with great success for Wes, Preston, and Nichols just to name a few.

I think UConn exposed that before gt, sadly.
Frank didn't play in the Uconn game. Carey had 26, but he over dribbles and turns the ball over too much. Carey reminds me of Jason Hart as a freshmen. Shoots like him too.

Frank didn't play in the Uconn game. Carey had 26, but he over dribbles and turns the ball over too much. Carey reminds me of Jason Hart as a freshmen. Shoots like him too.
He played the previous two years.

Great points.

Jason could be real sloppy with the ball, but was so fast.

He had his good and bad moments his first 3 years, but his senior year was mostly great. It didn’t always look good for Hart here even right from the start when he tried to get out of his commitment, but there’s no question that he persevered and came out better for it and ended strong. Then he played a good 10 years in the league.

Hopefully Jalen has that same will and mental toughness. If so, he will do great things here eventually.

He played the previous two years.

Yeah, UConn ate Frank alive last year(? Or was that two years ago?)

Frank was horrific against Georgetown his soph year too.

Might be a good thing for him that he didn’t play in the Big East for Cuse.

Great points.

Jason could be real sloppy with the ball, but was so fast.

He had his good and bad moments his first 3 years, but his senior year was mostly great. It didn’t always look good for Hart here even right from the start when he tried to get out of his commitment, but there’s no question that he persevered and came out better for it and ended strong. Then he played a good 10 years in the league.

Hopefully Jalen has that same will and mental toughness. If so, he will do great things here eventually.

Completely agreed! But the league has changed. Jalen will have to become a better shooter than Jason did to make the league. For now I think a pull-up 15ft jumper would really help his game. As teams continue to sag on him all he has to do is close the air space and pull-up.

If you want to beat SU pressure pressure and more pressure. We don't have the ball skills at the guard position. I was hoping JC would be the player who could beat pressure but hes a year away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom