State of the Orange program ... | Syracusefan.com

State of the Orange program ...

SU94

Starter
Here is what I am seeing (sorry this is long)…

*First of all, I am more than thrilled about the impending move to the ACC. Yes, the challenges will be greater most seasons than we’ve faced, but this invite was truly a life-line for our football program. I don’t like the notion of what Villanova and Georgetown represent. Hoops only is very shallow existence. And that was an all-too real scenario for SU going forward because teams that are not in BCS Conferences are going to really have a tough time selling their programs, both to recruits, fans and television networks. I wish the ACC invite had gone through in 2003, but as someone much smarter than me once told me, "all's well that ends."

*On the field, I firmly believe that we are competing at a much much higher level down for down, series for series, quarter for quarter and game for game than we have in the last decade or so. This is a tangible as it can be measured in various statistical outputs. Yards for/against being the primary stat. This is encouraging, but as we have seen, does not guarantee results in W-L columns. But don’t fool yourself, this is Marrone's greatest contribution to date and it should not be taken for granted.

*The offense is dramatically enhanced compared to where it was 2-3 years ago. And it is light years ahead of where it has been for the last decade (really since McNabb graduated). Now, we have very real issues in the red zone. No doubt this has to be addressed. Personally, I think this is going to take some time. For coordinators, coaches and players alike. We have ostensibly installed a new offense in ‘12. Sometimes these things do not “take” instantaneously. Almost everything is a theoretical at this point (what works, what does not). I also think the eventual implementation of a dual-threat quarterback will go a long way here. I am firmly behind Nassib as the starter for the remainder of the 2012 season. But in the future, the threat of a running quarterback is going to pay off. That is why, personally, I would not put the idea of Broyld behind center to bed. I know many here are excited about some of our other quarterbacks (Allen, Wilson, Hunt, Kinder, etc). I place my total faith in Marrone on this front because he is there in the trenches every day. I do think that with time Broyld will be a rare offensive force for the program. At which position I am not sure.

*One more note on the offense. In looking back over the last decade, our #1 deficiency came on the OLine. At least from my seat. I believe that change is coming here and I like what I am seeing. Am I also crazy to think that Pugh could use another season at SU to his advantage? Time will tell. But I like what I have read and the very little I have seen from Hickey, Foy, Trudo, Palmer, Sloan, Robinson, Knapp. We should be adding at least 3 to the OLine every season. Since the mid-80s, whenever SU has been strong, they've had an above-grade offensive line. Perhaps some can name an exception or two in that span, but I think this is an accurate depiction of the correlation between SU winning and our OLine play.

*I am encouraged by what I am seeing on kick coverage. Definitive steps forward. Our kickers (outside of Norton) have some work to do (Krautman is perplexing, very similar to his brother from what I remember). Personally, I wish Marrone would "revert" to the special team's formula employed by SU in the 80s and 90s. Namely, athletes get the time no matter their standing on the 2-deep. I think this is one of the gambles that need to be taken as a private school in the northeast. It can potentially close the gap between conference leaders and a middle of the pack school. Sure, we will lose a player or two to injury along the way. But the enhanced depth within the program should, in theory, make this notion plausible. Marrone should at least consider it.

*There is NO DOUBT that turnovers have been and continue to be an issue. Unlike many here, I do not think that this turnover problem is a direct condemnation on Marrone’s ability to run a program or coach. I just don’t. I think that Marrone’s willingness and ability to reflect upon his program will render improved results in time (hopefully starting Friday vs. UConn). I am also of the belief that there is a decent degree of luck (good and bad) involved in turnovers. The SU program appears to be, at the very least, in a rut when it comes to turnovers. But that can and should change over time. So, to sum up, I think that a renewed emphasis on offensive ball security and defensive gang tackling from Doug/staff coupled with a regression to the turnover mean should render solid results over the next few years.

*The defensive side of the ball appears to be very healthy. Not without flaw, but healthy. I don't see that changing in the coming years. Like almost every program but for an elite few, we could stand to get some more speed of the edge of the DLine. And I think we are shallow at the linebacker position, especially in the middle.

*Recruiting is on a subtle upswing (or at least was during July and August). We have a small class this year. So, we are not being hit over the head with verbals. That is fine. Marrone and Co. will have some work to do in Dec and January.

*Program building is not a science, but it is a process. At least for the vast majority of schools, head coaches and coaching staffs. There are thousands of variables, most of which we as fans have no knowledge of or control of. While I wish that Marrone could have come in back to SU in 2009 and turned things around nearly instantaneously, my personal viewpoint is that this was unlikely. And sure enough, that quick fix is not our reality. Some might argue that the Pinstripe Bowl season (8-5 in 2010) set some expectations in place that are unrealistic. Maybe. Maybe not. But what keeps me watching every Saturday is hope and belief that Marrone is making progress within this program-building process. If this is accurate, the results will come and we’ll be better for it.

Here is to a big win on Friday over the Huskies and continued progress...

I remember when Art Monk first played for the Orangemen. I believe he was a running back the first couple of years before he switched to wide receiver. He turned out to have a pretty good career. Finding the right spot for talented guys within the team framework is not always easy, except for the arm chair quarterbacks that do nothing but talk. Marrone is the right guy. So many problems have disappeared and now we're complaining about who should play and what is the play to run in the red zone. Seems like we are pretty close to where we want to be. My test is competitiveness, and we are there. We just have to make more plays if we are going to turn it over. That is a player issue no matter how you cut it.

Good post and I agree with a lot of it,in particular "Program building is not a science, but it is a process. At least for the vast majority of schools, head coaches and coaching staffs. There are thousands of variables, most of which we as fans have no knowledge of or control of."

*One more note on the offense. In looking back over the last decade, our #1 deficiency came on the OLine. At least from my seat. I believe that change is coming here and I like what I am seeing. Am I also crazy to think that Pugh could use another season at SU to his advantage? Time will tell. But I like what I have read and the very little I have seen from Hickey, Foy, Trudo, Palmer, Sloan, Robinson, Knapp. We should be adding at least 3 to the OLine every season. Since the mid-80s, whenever SU has been strong, they've had an above-grade offensive line. Perhaps some can name an exception or two in that span, but I think this is an accurate depiction of the correlation between SU winning and our OLine play.

My thoughts as well but you deliver a better post than I ever could. Great post altogether--good insights--well worth the read.

great perspective and read. Especially on the mobile qb deal. Will make the difference between wins and losses, this year included as we're THAT close. Only quibble I have is letting Nassib finish out the year. Once 7 losses are registered it's time to play for the future. Heck if it was up to me the future would be now!

Great post. Great read.

I love that you mentioned a regression to the turnover mean. It's been a while since I took statistics at Maxwell, and you just took me back. I think the emphasis on gang tackling will help to create more turnovers, and I like what Marrone said about being primarily concerned with tackling first. Until the offense begins to consistently move the chains, secure the ball, and convert drives into TDs the defense needs to tackle well and tackle smart and get off the field, especially when SU is playing against teams who are very good on defense like Rut and UConn.

I expect the forced turnovers to increase if SU continues to develop it's gang tackling which I interpret to mean not only numbers of defenders but also surrounding the ball carrier and tackling from different angles rather than simply flying to the ball carrier in a mindless fashion or from the same angle or merely piling on. I thought Reddish did a great job forcing a fumble against Rut because even though he initially missed the tackle he stayed with the play and was able to hit the ball carrier from a different angle and the ball hit the ground. Unfortunately, the turnover mean being skewed like you said, the ball basically bounced back to the Rut player.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We were spoiled with that bowl game in year two because in all honesty, we were not close to sustaining success. Marrone's first two recruiting classes were a struggle, no one wanted to come to Syracuse. We were a Bottom 15 program at the time. It is obvious that Marrone has made strides, the last two classes we have started to get some playmakers in Broyld, Reddish, Thompson, and Morgan. It takes time to establish relationships and that is coming. This recruiting class seems to be very promising (a little small but to be expected). The Offensive line has been a huge improvement, and the future starters look to be promising. Special teams was in absolute shambles at the beginning of the year, and quietly besides the blocked fg last week, the coverage units have been tremendous. Every year we continue to improve and even though results are not coming as fast as we would like, the program is improving. Its been a tough 10 years, but I believe it will be another two years before we will really see success. I just hope that Marrone will be able to last that long. Go Cuse!!!

Ahh, optimism. I agree 100% on the progress that's been made. I understand the frustrations on this board and I hate losing - but things are getting better.

Looking forward to a breakout against coach P tomorrow.

I remember a home game during the Robinson era when the dome went wild ... Standing O for a first down. It was in jest, frustration and relief. We have come a long way ... Now lets get some wins!!!!

Ladies and Gentleman, we have ourselves an inverted Like/Message ratio! congrats SU94, great post

Mean reversion on TO's with tiny sample size? This problem will not go away by itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom