Statues of Jim Brown and Floyd Little could amount to a bit of tricky business | Syracusefan.com

Statues of Jim Brown and Floyd Little could amount to a bit of tricky business

5 Theories

1. He lost a bet and let a taxi driver/one of the people he plays golf with write one of his columns?

2. He sacrificed a column to show a journalism class a perfect example of a rambling column with no point?

3. Solar flare caused brain damage?

4. The column was written by an artifical intelligence based program that wasn't really intelligent?

5. Bud has noticed that the more incoherent his column, the more buzz it gets. Buzz is buzz, even if most of columns wonder if he should be commited or be sent to an MRI machine ASAP.

5 Theories

1. He lost a bet and let a taxi driver/one of the people he plays golf with write one of his columns?

2. He sacrificed a column to show a journalism class a perfect example of a rambling column with no point?

4. The column was written by an artifical intelligence based program that wasn't really intelligent?

5. Bud has noticed that the more incoherent his column, the more buzz it gets. Buzz is buzz, even if most of columns wonder if he should be commited or be sent to an MRI machine ASAP.

6. All of the above

I have no idea what he is trying to say.

Simple--too many statues dedicated to undeserving subjects.

Although, "simple" is not in Bud's vocabulary. "Verbose" is, right at the top of his list.

I think this: "Be careful who you create a statue of because it may haunt you if they do something bad (see OJ) before they die."

Of course, he could not just write that...too short to call a column... so he added the extra gibberish.

5 Theories

Just how many columns does Bud have to sacrifice until this journalism class finally "gets it"? :D

Basically he said he's jealous that there won't be a statue of him outside the Syracuse.com offices. Oh, and he hates Christopher Columbus.

It'll be easy to spot the Jim Brown statue. It'll be the one that says BAMF on the front.

Conceptual drawing

il_fullxfull.272381520.jpg

Maybe this: Jim Brown - Troubles With The Law charges movie career

By the beginning of the eighties, with his movie career all but over, Brown's image began to take a beating for his continuing problem with domestic violence. Several women had brought him up on battery charges over the years, and although the charges were typically dropped, there were two notable convictions. Including an incident in 1968 where a girlfriend was found semi-conscious under his apartment's balcony. Plagued by the negative publicity, an unrenewed Pepsi endorsement contract and a dried up movie career, he would once again search for mental stimulation. It would come in the form of social activism.
Read more: Jim Brown - Troubles With The Law - Charges, Movie, and Career - JRank Articles http://sports.jrank.org/pages/652/Brown-Jim-Troubles-with-Law.html#ixzz2Z92t9M00

Bud must have had a lousy vacation. He's pretty snarky in this article.

Instead of having a 44 Plaza (or whatever the name is), I would rather see a plaza -- a pantheon, if you will -- of statues honoring top SU players and coaches using whatever criteria (All-America selection, graduation, etc.). Larry Csonka should be there, Joe Morris and several other players.

I think they made a mistake naming the field after Ernie Davis. I think it should have been named after Ol' Ben.

I think this: "Be careful who you create a statue of because it may haunt you if they do something bad (see OJ) before they die."

You mean like this?:

paterno-statue-penn-state-008.jpg

There is something to be said for not erecting statues to honor people until they are dead. No offense or insult directed toward JB or FL.

You mean like this?:

paterno-statue-penn-state-008.jpg

There is something to be said for not erecting statues to honor people until they are dead. No offense or insult directed toward JB or FL.
Who could have imagined back, say 5 years ago, that there was a risk in erecting that statue? Seemed like a sure thing.

i said the exact same thing when i read that this morning. Not a clue what he was getting at. He's actually managing to get worse as he gets older, which you would have thought was impossible.

I don't know if anyone of you have ever met Bud. I have. And the oddest thing is that he's very different in person than his columns. I hate his writing style. I'm surprised he survived the re-vamp of the P-S and the dot com