Status of Basketball Program | Syracusefan.com

Status of Basketball Program

44doubledees

Scout Team
This top 50 stuff has me wondering, who would you compare our basketball program to on the football side of things around the country. And vice versa who would be the basketball comparison to our football team in terms of program status.

I would say the football parallel to our basketball would be the Michigan Program in terms os elite status.
Vice Versa I would say that Temple Basketball would be on par with our football team

I don't think the Temple Basketball - SU football comparison is a good one. Temple is too successful. They are are on a current string of 5 straight NCAA bids; have won Conference Tourney Championships in 08, 09 & 10 and Conference Regular Season championships in 10 & 12.

Better comparisons might be Oregon State or St. John's.

In terms of the SU basketball to football comparison. Michigan may be a bit too successful (11 claimed National titles), although much of the ultimate success was long ago so it may be a pretty decent comparison.....maybe Georgia.

This top 50 stuff has me wondering, who would you compare our basketball program to on the football side of things around the country. And vice versa who would be the basketball comparison to our football team in terms of program status.

I would say the football parallel to our basketball would be the Michigan Program in terms os elite status.
Vice Versa I would say that Temple Basketball would be on par with our football team

Our football team is Depaul basketball. Solid history, just god awful of late.

Auburn football probably. Not quite Bama, but pretty damn good. SU football is probably closet to Michigan hoops - pretty decent every other decade.

I kind of like the Georgia comparison for our basketball team.

But more recently I'd say Oregon though.

St. Johns is a good comparo for the football program. They are in better shape than DePaul but clearly not where they have been in the past, nor where most think they should be. At the same time, they can be competitive and win a game here or there, even against pretty good competition. I'd say that is a pretty accurate description of SU football. DePaul basketball is a little too hapless to be a good comparison, in my mind anyway.

I'd say that is a pretty accurate description of SU football. DePaul basketball is a little too hapless to be a good comparison, in my mind anyway.
Meh. The quantity of hap is about right to make the comparison to me. :cool:

you obviously know nothing about footbal or basketball. Our football team is on par with PSU basketball. Maybe. Difference is that our fooball coach is much worse than PSU's basketball coach.

St. Johns is a good comparo for the football program.

horrible comparison. SJU hoops is in a hotbed of talent. SU football is located in a county filled with fat fast food eating kids who generally suck at sports.

horrible comparison. SJU hoops is in a hotbed of talent. SU football is located in a county filled with fat fast food eating kids who generally suck at sports.

I've been sitting here trying to think of a way to respond to this and have given up. Your intellect is too large. I'm not worthy.

Clearly you have not been to Queen, NY recently!

Just remember things can change at any time, look what happened to the SEC in football in the last 6-10 years.

you obviously know nothing about footbal or basketball. Our football team is on par with PSU basketball. Maybe. Difference is that our fooball coach is much worse than PSU's basketball coach.

Sorry. Epic fail. When did PSU make a dozen bowls in a row, at the time the longest streak in the country other than Nebraska's? When did PSU basketball put a dozen players in the Hall of Fame? Is PSU basketball among the top 15 winningest programs in NCAA history? I must have missed all that.

mmm it is so sophisticated to act demeaning. you work in nyc, man you are so important!

Sorry. Epic fail. When did PSU make a dozen bowls in a row, at the time the longest streak in the country other than Nebraska's? When did PSU basketball put a dozen players in the Hall of Fame? Is PSU basketball among the top 15 winningest programs in NCAA history? I must have missed all that.

t'is a good point. I wasnt really talking about historical comparisons. More about contemporary standing. maybe NCSU?

t'is a good point. I wasnt really talking about historical comparisons. More about contemporary standing. maybe NCSU?

So, how about thoughts on Chelsea's semifinal win back in May against Barca? Drogba was incredible and so clutch. A fitting farewell to Europe. Glad for him and the others that the sealed their legacy by winning the one that had gotten away in Moscow. And now a much more creative group is coming together for Chelsea, although the sooner Terry exits, probably the better.

As for your guys, I think Mourinho wore down Guardiola mentally. Real Madrid were brilliant last year, and would have been my pick to win it all, had they gotten by Bayern. One would think that with Villanova stepping in as a new manager (albeit steeped in the Barca way...), that Real would be favorites in La Liga and in Champions League. I'm surprised they haven't gotten off to a better start, though.