Steve Kerr | Syracusefan.com

Steve Kerr

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
he followed the guide to broadcasting a syracuse game to a tee

-mention the zone in every sentence
-talk about their "size and athleticism" every time they block a shot. or dunk. or grab a rebound. or score on a fast break. basically any time they do something good talk about their "size and athleticism".
-combining the above 2 as often as possible, such as: "this is why their zone is so tough to play against, they are so big and athletic. " or "san diego state is gonna have a hard time attacking this zone, syracuse is just too big and athletic."

and this is a new one from last year: every time they bring in a sub, talk about how they "come at you in waves"

duh, forgot about length. size, athleticism, and length!

he followed the guide to broadcasting a syracuse game to a tee

-mention the zone in every sentence
-talk about their "size and athleticism" every time they block a shot. or dunk. or grab a rebound. or score on a fast break. basically any time they do something good talk about their "size and athleticism".
-combining the above 2 as often as possible, such as: "this is why their zone is so tough to play against, they are so big and athletic. " or "san diego state is gonna have a hard time attacking this zone, syracuse is just too big and athletic."

and this is a new one from last year: every time they bring in a sub, talk about how they "come at you in waves"

I thought the coverage from Fox was really bad. Nice to have an hour pregame show but not nice that it featured 15 seconds of interesting content. Cage was worthless. The other guy was too, only more so.

Kerr just spouted tired phrases people have been saying about Syracuse for decades. Enberg was okay. Good to see he is still alive. SU actually got in bad foul trouble but the announcers barely discussed it and you had to be alert to read the graphics that sometimes showed how many fouls each player had. Pet peeve of mine...announcers should routinely indicate after a foul is called who it was called on and the number of personal fouls the player now has. It almost never happened in this broadcast.

The interview with the deaf WWII vets were actually one of the highlights of the broadcast for the unintentional humor.

Thought the SU camo unis were surprisingly conservative. They looked like the normal away unis except more sweat stained. Can't imagine there is a lot of demand for stained jerseys out there. This was one instance where they should have been bold and done something crazy. I was expecting a color combo of duct tape silver and day glow purple. Something like that.

The post game interviews were bad too. Thought it was just about impossible to have a bad interview with JB but they even made him look pretty bad with the questions they asked him.

Erin Andrews is very pretty but looked uncomfortable doing her interviews.

Just a bad, failed broadcast. On the positive side, I liked the Jack in the Box commercials and hope we will get some here soon in Central New York.

On the radio during the pregame, Matt and Matt interviewed Kerr, and he was talking about playing against Matt Roe in the 1987 Great Alaska Shootout.

Roe remembered that Arizona was playing a box and one and that Kerr shadowed Roe all over the court. Kerr wasn't sure, because he said that he never guarded anyone in college. :p

He loves MCW's length.

images

On the radio during the pregame, Matt and Matt interviewed Kerr, and he was talking about playing against Matt Roe in the 1987 Great Alaska Shootout.

Roe remembered that Arizona was playing a box and one and that Kerr shadowed Roe all over the court. Kerr wasn't sure, because he said that he never guarded anyone in college. :p
I had front row (no pun) seats for that game. Kerr was very cautious when he had the ball. Passed it every single time that Sherm got near him. Roe was hot from the outside and then used the resultant tight defense to drive by his man and to the basket later in the game. Roe was not just a catch and shoot guy. Some crazed guy hawking pizza (maybe Dominoes?) had the microphone as halftime ended and he continued to hawk his junk after the bell rang. I was thinking that if there would have been a clear home team the refs would have had grounds to penalyze us.

He also got in the obligatory Syracuse doe not travel outside of NY much in the non-conference blast a couple times.

The only broadcasters I really enjoy doing our games are Raftery, Bilas and McDonough and also Mike Tirico (and he only does our games occasionally). They are the only people who will sometimes say something that I haven't heard 1000 times before.

He also included the often referenced Brandon Triche/Howard Triche connection mention, which to a lesser degree has replaced the always referenced Andy Rautins/Leo Rautins connection mention.

I suspect the DaJuan Coleman/Derrick Coleman non-connection mention will be added to the Syracuse broadcast checklist, and Kerr touched on that of course.

For what it's worth, Steve Kerr is one of the best NBA play by play guys out there in my opinion. He's generally very good in NBA broadcasts.

Was I the only one very confused when he said JB didn't go to Colgate because Syracuse had cheaper tuition since it's a state school... I mean we do own the state, and the 600 mile surrounding region but I was unware Syracuse was a state school unless JB applied for SUNY ESF via Syracuse.

For what it's worth, Steve Kerr is one of the best NBA play by play guys out there in my opinion. He's generally very good in NBA broadcasts.

I appreciate his no-nonsense approach to calling bball games and love him during pro broadcasts. You could just tell though, he knew nothing of the players on the floor yesterday and used sweeping generalizations. Same thing for Enberg. When he did try to get specific, it went all wrong: "Keita would start for any other D1 program. Amazing he is on the bench at Syracuse." whaaaaa?

I appreciate his no-nonsense approach to calling bball games and love him during pro broadcasts. You could just tell though, he knew nothing of the players on the floor yesterday and used sweeping generalizations. Same thing for Enberg. When he did try to get specific, it went all wrong: "Keita would start for any other D1 program. Amazing he is on the bench at Syracuse." whaaaaa?

Yeah, definitely agreed. It's like in the NCAA Tournament when they tried to get Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith and all them talking college basketball. Except I'd say Kerr really knows the NBA more than those two to begin with.

The only broadcasters I really enjoy doing our games are Raftery, Bilas and McDonough and also Mike Tirico (and he only does our games occasionally). They are the only people who will sometimes say something that I haven't heard 1000 times before.

I agree McD, Bilas and Raftery are great. I really enjoy them and everyone else sucks. I didn't think Kerr was that bad but I could have been blinded by my excitement that Syracuse was playing bastketball again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom