Steve Phillips: "Boeheim needs to be fired... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Steve Phillips: "Boeheim needs to be fired...

I was wondering this. We don't know exactly how it works. I would assume JB isn't A) administering the tests, nor B) setting the drug policy. It's conceivable (though not likely, IMO) that he wouldn't have been made aware of any potential test failures.

The SU internal policy specifically states that the head coach is to be made aware of any failed tests.

Accordingly, if he was not in the know, then the school clearly failed in its internal processes. I think he knew.

I was wondering this. We don't know exactly how it works. I would assume JB isn't A) administering the tests, nor B) setting the drug policy. It's conceivable (though not likely, IMO) that he wouldn't have been made aware of any potential test failures.
Yeah that's the same thing I'm thinking. But it's possible jimmy never knew. The person giving the test and the player could have been the only ones that knew. It's like a secret, why tell more people that you have too in his case. For all we know jimmy could have been giving clean test results ad never knew. I don't really know I'm just thinking out loud for everyone...

I'm sure if they were alive today Jimmy the Greek, Howard Cosell and Richard Nixon would all be clamoring for Boeheim's firing also? I imagine we'll be hearing from Gilbert Gottfried, Don Imus and Pee Wee Herman any time now. Like Phillips they were all fired for lack of judgement, if not moral shortcomings. So I guess this would qualify them to pontificate on the subject of SU Basketball in today's sports media?

Yeah that's the same thing I'm thinking. But it's possible jimmy never knew. The person giving the test and the player could have been the only ones that knew. It's like a secret, why tell more people that you have too in his case. For all we know jimmy could have been giving clean test results ad never knew. I don't really know I'm just thinking out loud for everyone...

"Each penalty called for the head coach to be notified and, in turn, alert a player’s parents or guardians. After the first offense, an athlete was required to attend drug counseling and rehabilitation sessions. In addition, the policy called for the offending athlete to be tested on a regular basis for the remainder of his or her eligibility."

"Each penalty called for the head coach to be notified and, in turn, alert a player’s parents or guardians. After the first offense, an athlete was required to attend drug counseling and rehabilitation sessions. In addition, the policy called for the offending athlete to be tested on a regular basis for the remainder of his or her eligibility."

Yeah, there's no question JB was SUPPOSED to have known. I was just saying that if it turns out the school was essetially sitting on failed drug tests and not telling/punishing anyone, it's possible the head coach wasn't made aware. But as I said, I don't find this likely at all.

Who knows if he was ever notified though, what do you think?

Who knows if he was ever notified though, what do you think?

I think he had to have at least known by the time it was self-reported "several months ago".

I think he had to have at least known by the time it was self-reported "several months ago".

Agree 100%. Once it was self reported he knew something had happened. It's hard to think that jimmy would turn a blind eye to this situation... Someone stated that there were some suspensions a couple years ago maybe longer during the NCAA tourney. I can't remember it but what was that about, do you remember?

Agree 100%. Once it was self reported he knew something had happened. It's hard to think that jimmy would turn a blind eye to this situation... Someone stated that there were some suspensions a couple years ago maybe longer during the NCAA tourney. I can't remember it but what was that about, do you remember?

2005 tournament, the Vermont game, right?

Joe Paterno turned a blind eye to Sandusky; I know we all love Boeheim and what he has done for the team but it's not inconcievable he "turned a blind eye" to this. (And of course, the two things, even if the allegations about us are true, aren't in the same universe. Just the point that it's certainly possible JB could have turned a blind eye to this. If anything, it makes it more easy to believe he did; one coach turned a blind eye to a child molestor, not hard to believe another one wouldn't worry about some failed tests for pot)

Irresponsible comment. Steve Phillips has no idea what Boeheim did or didn't do. Assuming there were positive tests there are other ways to help/protect offenders than simply suspending them. I don't know that JB did or didn't do anything, but then again neither does Phillips.

How does that guy have a job commenting on right and wrong anyway??

phillips_gal120324--300x300.jpg

God, Steve, what were you smoking when you did this?

Jake is the one responsible for the policy and enforcement since he was the athletic director at the time not JB. That should be emphasized by Dr Gross otherwise you are admitting to the same thing that penn st was accused of that Joe ran the school.

I used to listen to Steve's show in the morning but it became really clear that he and his co-host were talking out of their ass on most issues. They did not seem to have the basic facts in a lot of cases and were just running at the mouth for the sake of filling air time.

Reminds me of the line from Hondo in the NY Post after Studly Steve's first foray into trouble when he made his way through the female ranks of the Mets office personnel in Port St. Lucie. "Most baseball people can't wait for when pitchers and catchers report. Not Steve Phillips. He looks forward to when the receptionists and secretaries show up."

As far as I'm concerned, Jimmy isn't administrating the drug test. So whoever is giving the test is the one that is "sweeping" it under the rug. Would I be correct to think that this is how it works?
Don't you read the papers? The coach is supposed to control everything to type of toothpaste to use and make sure the guys are in bed by 8pm.

The ludicrous war on drugs and ridiculous marijuana prohibition hasn't ruined enough lives, lets ruin some more.
Excellent point, the bigger point is, why are they being drug tested? Like What does pot have to do with dribbling a basketball? I could see it if these inane rules were being administered by ppl who grew up during the drug hysteria of the mid-1900's. But the ppl in charge are past that and should know better. When will we realize we do not need to require our performers to be 100% wholesome? If drugs are bad, then they will take themselves out of the talents pool. There are still responsibilities and ramifications from toking up , but it is not the thought-police's role to be arbitror in this ordeal.

Excellent point, the bigger point is, why are they being drug tested? Like What does pot have to do with dribbling a basketball? I could see it if these inane rules were being administered by ppl who grew up during the drug hysteria of the mid-1900's. But the ppl in charge are past that and should know better. When will we realize we do not need to require our performers to be 100% wholesome? If drugs are bad, then they will take themselves out of the talents pool. There are still responsibilities and ramifications from toking up , but it is not the thought-police's role to be arbitror in this ordeal.
The NCAA likes to pretend student athletes are just like regular students, but I was never drug tested when I was in school.

When your wife in her, what 50s?, is hotter than the intern the other dude is banging, I doubt you're real worried about his opinion. JB couldn't have lost much sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom