Still # 6 | Syracusefan.com

Still # 6

ESPN's power rankings reinforces my theory that ESPN "experts" only ever watch games aired on ESPN.

ESPN's power rankings reinforces my theory that ESPN "experts" only ever watch games aired on ESPN.

That may be so, but did you really expect us to jump Louisville in both polls? They were ranked #2 and lost to the current #2, the day after beating #13 Mizzou.

That may be so, but did you really expect us to jump Louisville in both polls? They were ranked #2 and lost to the current #2, the day after beating #13 Mizzou.
Again, I was referring to ESPN's rankings, whose 'experts' have us down @ 9th, 10th, 11th, etc.

I've listened to ESPNU's podcast weekly over the last month, and the only mention of SU so far this season is a quick gloss-over of the SDSU game during which Andy Katz had to defer entirely to his co-host for the entire analysis before quickly moving on. Was plainly obvious Katz hadn't seen any of the game.

It's such an insulated culture up there in Bristol. Their little peons create highlight montages of just their network's games and then they BS their way through each segment.

I'm actually surprised that Duke hasn't taken #1 yet. I know you can't lose your rank by winning games, but whatever, Duke has a crazy November schedule and so far they're proving they're a great team this season.

Again, I was referring to ESPN's rankings, whose 'experts' have us down @ 9th, 10th, 11th, etc.

I like our team. But I don't yet know how good we are. We lost a lot of experience and leadership. Dion was a unique talent. Scoop, by his senior year, was a steady, mature presence. As was Kris. Fab was very intimidating. We had depth everywhere. As a result we were seldom gassed at the end.

It's a very different team this year. Less shot blocking. Very likely fewer transition baskets against stronger teams. Thin at the guard positions. Brandon and Michael will average 35+ minutes. Not sure what Trevor can produce but I'm hopeful. Don't yet see a player who can "carry the team" when offense is needed. Perhaps James. We'll see. I hope Rak and DC can produce some offense. Still too early to tell.

On the other hand Michael is this year's unique talent. We will have the best half court game in many years. Fewer turnovers because of fewer drives to nowhere. Probably better rebounding. More second chance points may compensate for the diminished transition game. Maybe not.

Again, I like our team. We'll be fun to watch. I love Michael's game. We should improve as the season progresses. But are we a top 5 team? Way too early to tell.

I've listened to ESPNU's podcast weekly over the last month, and the only mention of SU so far this season is a quick gloss-over of the SDSU game during which Andy Katz had to defer entirely to his co-host for the entire analysis before quickly moving on. Was plainly obvious Katz hadn't seen any of the game.

It's such an insulated culture up there in Bristol. Their little peons create highlight montages of just their network's games and then they BS their way through each segment.

don't understand your insecurity, armory. only 3 of 18 voters have SU ranked 9 or lower . . . and one of those is John Gasaway of Basketball Prospectus, a hoops junkie who certainly does not watch only what is on ESPN. In the first month of the season, Bilas has ranked SU's front court as the 3rd best in the land, while Vitale has ranked the back court ranked 6th.

Kind of a circular logic, no? Current #2 would not be current #2 if L'ville had won that game. Plus they were lucky to beat UNI. So yes, I expected that.

I'm actually surprised that Duke hasn't taken #1 yet. I know you can't lose your rank by winning games, but whatever, Duke has a crazy November schedule and so far they're proving they're a great team this season.

Agreed. Never understood that rule that you can't be moved down when you don't lose when preseason ranks are at least somewhat arbitrary in the first place.

Kind of a circular logic, no? Current #2 would not be current #2 if L'ville had won that game. Plus they were lucky to beat UNI. So yes, I expected that.

Not at all. I could have said #5 Duke and they still would have done more than we did last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom