Still think MCW can play the 3 at times | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Still think MCW can play the 3 at times

Just my opinion, but, Cooney isn't going to play this year.

Your shooters are going to be Brandon (.333), KJo (.366), Scoop (.357), and James (.368). Hopefully they will all step is up a bit over last year, or at least show the ability to hit at least that percentage, but
in tougher situations. They don't have to look pretty, they just have to go in.

Brandon hit (.400) and Scoop hit (.389) the year prior '09-'10, admittedly fewer shots and less taken in true crunch situations. That season Andy hit (.407) and Wes (.415). It probably isn't realistic to expect that sort of percentage from guys this year taking similar volumes of shot, but I don't think our 3 point shooting is going to be so bad that we are going to need to employ a designated 3 point shooter off of the bench or need to go as deep as 5 guards in the rotation. We have multiple guys who are in the rotation that will be able to hit a serviceable percentage....also wouldn't surprise me if Dion (.329) improves over last year and proves capable of providing some consistent threes.

I'm not sure we need an extra handler or shooter this year in normal game situations.

Joseph has a very good handle for a forward and all 4 of our guarss that will seesignificant time have very good to excellent handles IMO. CJ is also not helpless out there as far as dribbling and passing.

Joseph finished at 37% last season, Scoop was 36%, Brandon was 33% and Dion was 33%. I expect all of them to improve a little bit and possibly a lot in Brandon's case. Plus if we have James or CJ in as the second forward we are adding another shooter. I don't expect CJ to be shooting a lot of 3's but I do think he has expanded his range and will have to be guarded away from the basket. We may often have 4 guys on the court who can knock down open perimeter shots.

Just my opinion, but, Cooney isn't going to play this year.

Your shooters are going to be Brandon (.333), KJo (.366), Scoop (.357), and James (.368). Hopefully they will all step is up a bit over last year, or at least show the ability to hit at least that percentage, but
in tougher situations. They don't have to look pretty, they just have to go in.

Brandon hit (.400) and Scoop hit (.389) the year prior '09-'10, admittedly fewer shots and less taken in true crunch situations. That season Andy hit (.407) and Wes (.415). It probably isn't realistic to expect that sort of percentage from guys this year taking similar volumes of shot, but I don't think our 3 point shooting is going to be so bad that we are going to need to employ a designated 3 point shooter off of the bench or need to go as deep as 5 guards in the rotation. We have multiple guys who are in the rotation that will be able to hit a serviceable percentage....also wouldn't surprise me if Dion (.329) improves over last year and proves capable of providing some consistent threes.
I'm not sure we need an extra handler or shooter this year in normal game situations.

Joseph has a very good handle for a forward and all 4 of our guarss that will seesignificant time have very good to excellent handles IMO. CJ is also not helpless out there as far as dribbling and passing.

Joseph finished at 37% last season, Scoop was 36%, Brandon was 33% and Dion was 33%. I expect all of them to improve a little bit and possibly a lot in Brandon's case. Plus if we have James or CJ in as the second forward we are adding another shooter. I don't expect CJ to be shooting a lot of 3's but I do think he has expanded his range and will have to be guarded away from the basket. We may often have 4 guys on the court who can knock down open perimeter shots.
Ya, but none of those guys are strictly shooters ... at this point in his career, Cooney will be strictly a shooter ... Some games where shots are not falling and we are being zoned to death, I'd like to see him ... I'm not for the redshirt, and doubt Cooney came here to redshirt

Ya, but none of those guys are strictly shooters ... at this point in his career, Cooney will be strictly a shooter ... Some games where shots are not falling and we are being zoned to death, I'd like to see him ... I'm not for the redshirt, and doubt Cooney came here to redshirt

We've have a guy who is strictly a shooter and he didn't really get that opertunity. Maybe Cooney is better all around and a beter shooter as well but in games that mater I really do not see Cooney playing. I could be wrong but I just don't see it.

I understand that none of are guys are feared 3pt bombers. That being said I think they will all be effective enough this year to force teams to guard them and with the exception of Southerland they can all put the ball on the floor. Southerland could be the type of player that is a feared bomber. Its his main thing on offense and with his size if he becomes confident he could easily shoot 40%+ although granted thats a big if.

I don't see why MCW couldn't play the 3 like Andy did as a junior.

Trouble was, he did that pretty poorly. Boeheim blamed the lack of another big wing (instead of Harris or Rautins) for some of our defensive struggles that year. And while this kid is very talented, I really doubt he's even half the defender Rautins was as a junior.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but Boeheim usually only plays small wings out of necessity. He'd much rather have a pair of 6'8" guys out there. Unless Williams locks down a side of the zone like Hakim, I'd be surprised to see him at the 3.

doubt Cooney came here to redshirt

Well of course he didn't come here to redshirt - he came here to a.) play as much as possible and b.) improve as a player with an eye toward playing professionally. Both of those goals may best be served by redshirting, since a.) he won't play as much as possible when he's sixth in a six-guard rotation this year and b.) will have the opportunity to improve more over the course of five years than four.

Redshirting isn't a negative; ask Scoop or Z. No sense wasting a year of eligibility sitting on the bench behind better players.

well the main reason I brought this up is because I feel that at times it would be nice to have a guy who is a "shooter" out there ... and the possibility of having MCW out there with Cooney and another guard would still give us 2 ball handlers because I'm not sure just how able Cooney will be to handle the ball at this stage in his career

This whole idea is off track because it is based on the logic of getting Cooney on the floor. IMO, no, MCW will not be playing the three to add extra ball handling so Cooney can get run at the 2.

Joseph is one of the best deep shooters in the country. I don't think Cooney is a better shooter right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom