Stop shooting 3's | Syracusefan.com

Stop shooting 3's

Garbs

All Conference
If we shoot 10 or less 3's a game the rest of the way good things will happen.

and only James should be shooting those 3's, plus a few from CJ.

So sick of watching Triche shoot and miss wide open 3's, and when I say wide open I mean so wide open he has a lane to the basket.

So sick of watching Triche shoot and miss wide open 3's, and when I say wide open I mean so wide open he has a lane to the basket.

Not just miss--airball.

And Triche wasn't the only one.

Not just miss--airball.

And Triche wasn't the only one.
exactly this is my point, just stop shooting them

everyone knows they can't make enough to beat them

We extended the lead tonight when we stopped shooting 3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about Southerland. I think he was 1-10 tonight.

While Triche was waiting in the tunnel with his parents, I saw him put his hand on his lower back for a few seconds. Are we going to find out when this is all said and done that he's been playing in terrific pain (like Terrence Roberts)?

While Triche was waiting in the tunnel with his parents, I saw him put his hand on his lower back for a few seconds. Are we going to find out when this is all said and done that he's been playing in terrific pain (like Terrence Roberts)?

Four years of trying to run through illegal moving screens up top has had an effect. Personally, I feel awful for the kid. Not how he envisioned the end of his college career, I'm sure.

Four years of trying to run through illegal moving screens up top has had an effect. Personally, I feel awful for the kid. Not how he envisioned the end of his college career, I'm sure.

Not to sound like your standard do-good optimistic fan, but I think there's still a chance for him to see the end of his college career exactly the way he envisions it, about 10 games from now... :)

Two pointers that go in are worth more than three pointers that don't.

I think it was a better game when there was no three point line. It was all about getting an open shot within your range nand htiting it. Now it's about camping out at one spot, having your teammates maneuver to get you open and missing 70% of the time. it used to be much of the movement in half-court was horizontal to the basket and making the defenders move back and forth, thus opening up lanes to the basket. Now it's a vertical line to the basket, either jack it up from outside or drive to the basket and see if you can get a dunk. The result is ugly basketball.

I think it was a better game when there was no three point line. It was all about getting an open shot within your range nand htiting it. Now it's about camping out at one spot, having your teammates maneuver to get you open and missing 70% of the time. it used to be much of the movement in half-court was horizontal to the basket and making the defenders move back and forth, thus opening up lanes to the basket. Now it's a vertical line to the basket, either jack it up from outside or drive to the basket and see if you can get a dunk. The result is ugly basketball.
I miss those days - except for the Dean Smith stall.

exactly this is my point, just stop shooting them

everyone knows they can't make enough to beat them
If they are wide open they have to shoot them. Those are the shots you want - wide open threes. That's why CJ makes so many all he takes is wide open 3s. I know BT hasn't been making them but he is capable. With JS it's clearly a shot selection issue.

I think we figured out that teams are going to give us 3's, we are going to miss a fair amount, and must crash the offensive glass as a result. 21 offensive boards last night is a big number that cancels out our outside shooting woes.

It's interesting, I was watching a 1990 SU-SJU game on youtube last night (yes, I am a massive loser) and a couple things struck me:
1. The talent level then was just soooo much higher. We had DC, Billy, Stevie, Leron, DJ (who barely got off the bench). Conrad and Manning, who both got drafted, didn't get off the bench. SJU had Sealy, Jason Williams, Werdann, Boo Harvey, and the immortal Billy Singleton. Today you still have talented guards, but you just don't have many quality big men who aren't frosh.
2. They didn't shoot any 3's unless they were WIDE open. It was just such a different game. Some of the shots they turned down I couldn't believe actually.
3. They called a lot more fouls on contact inside

In some ways I agree with you that it was a better game. But, to think of a game with no threes + no quality big men, which is what we'd be looking at, is sort of scary.

If they are wide open they have to shoot them. Those are the shots you want - wide open threes. That's why CJ makes so many all he takes is wide open 3s. I know BT hasn't been making them but he is capable. With JS it's clearly a shot selection issue.
No, you don't have to take a 3 just because it's wide open, especially if you're not a good-shooting team. The goal of the offense should be to put points on the board every trip down the court. 3-ptrs are considered "low-probability" shots, which reduces the probability of putting points on the board.

No, you don't have to take a 3 just because it's wide open, especially if you're not a good-shooting team. The goal of the offense should be to put points on the board every trip down the court. 3-ptrs are considered "low-probability" shots, which reduces the probability of putting points on the board.

At some point I think you need to take wide open three point looks if you are at least Triche, CJ, and of course James because you need to space the floor.

BT is just thinking to much! He will be fine...I hope!

As far as the quality of players now a days, I agree that the level of play has gone way down. I feel there was more structure to the game and coaches relied on technique and systems when coaching their teams. Now a days it seems like the coaches let the athleticism of the players compensate for the lack of structure and technique.

At some point I think you need to take wide open three point looks if you are at least Triche, CJ, and of course James because you need to space the floor.
I agree that they should take some, but when a guy is 0-6 and he's shooting <20% over his last 5 games or so, maybe he should think twice. I don't want to see guys shooting 3s just because they're open, especially if the situation calls for a higher percentage shot.

I agree that they should take some, but when a guy is 0-6 and he's shooting <20% over his last 5 games or so, maybe he should think twice. I don't want to see guys shooting 3s just because they're open, especially if the situation calls for a higher percentage shot.

His problem is he IS thinking twice. He needs to step up and just shoot it. He will make them.

His problem is he IS thinking twice. He needs to step up and just shoot it. He will make them.
Which player are you talking about?MCW, Triche, Cooney, JS? They've all sucked of late from 3.

Which player are you talking about?MCW, Triche, Cooney, JS? They've all sucked of late from 3.

Triche specifically on that one. Sorry.

Agreed by the way.

He has to know when he is clanking away to stop shooting! Both of these guys can get much better shots. JB has to tell these guys, get the ball inside! It was so frustrating watching them clank away.

Yeah I mean it's great to say 'let's not shoot 3's', but in real life that isn't the way the game is played. Let's say Rak has the ball in the post, defense reacts, he kicks to MCW who penetrates into the lane bringing defenders with him, BT move to the open spot and MCW kicks it out to him, he has to take that shot. He just has to. Everyone is expecting him to take it for one thing so you are looking at a 3 second call if he doesn't. Also what is the alternative he drives into the lane where 5 defenders and 3 of our guys are standing?

Now the early contested threes are a different story. And some (not all) of the transiton threes I could do without.

Yeah I mean it's great to say 'let's not shoot 3's', but in real life that isn't the way the game is played. Let's say Rak has the ball in the post, defense reacts, he kicks to MCW who penetrates into the lane bringing defenders with him, BT move to the open spot and MCW kicks it out to him, he has to take that shot. He just has to. Everyone is expecting him to take it for one thing so you are looking at a 3 second call if he doesn't. Also what is the alternative he drives into the lane where 5 defenders and 3 of our guys are standing?

Now the early contested threes are a different story. And some (not all) of the transiton threes I could do without.

I noticed the play where BT comes off a curl at the 3 line wasn't used at all last night. That's good. He's drifting way too much on those shots now so that play needs to go away for a while. But I agree, he has to shoot when he's all alone and there are SU guys underneath.

The contested early 3's are awful, no doubt. I like three's in transition, though as always it depends on who is shooting it. But it's one of the easier times to get an open look at a 3. I like MCW setting up James for the transition 3's. The other guys, eh.

The contested early 3's are awful, no doubt. I like three's in transition, though as always it depends on who is shooting it. But it's one of the easier times to get an open look at a 3. I like MCW setting up James for the transition 3's. The other guys, eh.
Exactly - James stepping into a transition 3 - great. The others...ehhh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom