Stopped by the Melo Center today at lunchtime | Syracusefan.com

Stopped by the Melo Center today at lunchtime

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
That was my first time. Wow, what an impressive experience. I was grinning for about 20 minutes, checking out the various displays, along with three games that were being shown on TVs - the championship game, the 6 OT game, and last year's win over Wisconsin in the tournament. Wonderful picture of CTO at the dedication ceremony. A little weird to see a Bernie Fine Hall of Fame in the corner. But overall, just incredibly well done.

On the courts, I saw Brandon, Dirty and Arinze Onuaku. Didn't stare, but watched for a few minutes. Arinze looks about 20 lbs lighter than when he played for us. Was doing drills hopping off one leg and laying it in with the outside hand, one side then the other, over and over. Nick Revazy (sp) was feeding him balls. Arinze looks in great, great shape. I'm sure he will be playing somewhere professionally in the fall.

I had the same reaction when I saw Arinze there last week. He looks to be in very good shape. That is such a great facility for current and former players to work out at any time of the day.

So can anyone just walk in anytime? If so would pop in with my boys one of these days after school surprise...

So can anyone just walk in anytime? If so would pop in with my boys one of these days after school surprise...

I suspect it is open to the public between 9 and 5 on weekdays. You won't be able to enter the court area, but you can view it through a window in the corridor which is sort of a museum that houses a lot of displays and shows the videos that IthacaMatt mentioned.

Be discreet, act like a guest, not a frat boy. Don't stare in the windows while players are working out. It's kind of like the old days at Manley. If you don't make a nuisance or spectacle of yourself, it is open to the public for limited hours. But please don't ruin it for the rest of us, don't interrupt the players or ask for autographs, etc.

Be discreet, act like a guest, not a frat boy. Don't stare in the windows while players are working out. It's kind of like the old days at Manley. If you don't make a nuisance or spectacle of yourself, it is open to the public for limited hours. But please don't ruin it for the rest of us, don't interrupt the players or ask for autographs, etc.
This is very good advice from Matt. Also, little kids running around would not be a good idea. If fans abuse the ability to go there, I am sure they will limit access to the public.

I don't get why schools are so secretive about places like this, especially in the Spring and Summer. Unless Matt is trying to run the practices, why not let fans see a place like this?

I don't get why schools are so secretive about places like this, especially in the Spring and Summer. Unless Matt is trying to run the practices, why not let fans see a place like this?
Zak ... The doors are open. They can see it. Just like Matt did yesterday. Matt and I were simply asking fans not to abuse what is a privilege. It is a private facility built with private dollars. If SU wished, they could keep it entirely closed to the public. But they haven't.

Zak ... The doors are open. They can see it. Just like Matt did yesterday. Matt and I were simply asking fans not to abuse what is a privilege. It is a private facility built with private dollars. If SU wished, they could keep it entirely closed to the public. But they haven't.

Absolutely. It's like you're going into someone else's working facility; it's not a club or entertainment venue; there are student athletes (and others) using the facilities for scheduled activities. So the point was, it's not "secret", but it's like walking into any other university building where there may be classes going on, or what have you. Just like you wouldn't let your kids run wild in a doctor's office, or you wouldn't shoot video or talk loudly in church, just try to be respectful. That's all I was saying. Don't come in all drunk and loud and noisy - they have stuff going on and you being there is a privilege that's not well publicized.

Absolutely. It's like you're going into someone else's working facility; it's not a club or entertainment venue; there are student athletes (and others) using the facilities for scheduled activities. So the point was, it's not "secret", but it's like walking into any other university building where there may be classes going on, or what have you. Just like you wouldn't let your kids run wild in a doctor's office, or you wouldn't shoot video or talk loudly in church, just try to be respectful. That's all I was saying. Don't come in all drunk and loud and noisy - they have stuff going on and you being there is a privilege that's not well publicized.

Don't know where the drunk frat boy comments are coming from. I think Orange46R was referring to bringing his kids in after they get out of school sometime.

Unless, Orange46R is a drunk frat boy of course.

lol, you can go to the Melo Center but act like you are on an army base. Don't smile. Don't act like you are having fun. Don't make a sound. Go and look miserable and nobody will bother ya :rolleyes:

That's the SU experience! lol

lol, you can go to the Melo Center but act like you are on an army base. Don't smile. Don't act like you are having fun. Don't make a sound. Go and look miserable and nobody will bother ya :rolleyes:

Is that really true, Stern? Please elaborate.

I don't think anybody suggested that.

Question:

If I see Southerland shooting around, can I yell out a joke to him about his flatulence during games, or would that be out of line?

So I SHOULDNT ask where all the other National Championship trophies are?

:D

(Dont worry, Ill show myself out):)

So I SHOULDNT ask where all the other National Championship trophies are?

:D

(Dont worry, Ill show myself out):)
Zak.. there's a football one there... and about 12 lacrosse ones. Plus two Helms Foundation basketball ones from before there was an NCAA tourney. So I think that is about 16 in all.

Its annoying when people try to act authoritative over fellow fans... Have the courtesy to think that our fans would enjoy Manley in an adult way...those comments on not ruining it for the rest of us are out of line.

Its annoying when people try to act authoritative over fellow fans... Have the courtesy to think that our fans would enjoy Manley in an adult way...those comments on not ruining it for the rest of us are out of line.
I doubt seriously that anyone who made comments on taking it easy in the Melo Center was trying to act authoritative. For me they were simply reminding Everyone that respect was needed or the building could be shut down to Everyone. To me it's more , If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, don't get your shorts in a bunch. Most of us know how to act, some need to be reminded.

It is after all, informing the ignorant that they could ruin it for everyone!

Zak.. there's a football one there... and about 12 lacrosse ones. Plus two Helms Foundation basketball ones from before there was an NCAA tourney. So I think that is about 16 in all.
Plus one for cross country.