Strange statement on Colemans injury | Syracusefan.com

Strange statement on Colemans injury

OmahaCuse

Starter
Won't know until in September if he can play? Clearly not an ACL must have been micro fracture. Staff sounds cautiously optimistic. Anyone have details around micro fracture and recovery %'s? I think the success of next years season relies on Coleman being able to play minutes and help with scoring down low.

Won't know until in September if he can play? Clearly not an ACL must have been micro fracture. Staff sounds cautiously optimistic. Anyone have details around micro fracture and recovery %'s? I think the success of next years season relies on Coleman being able to play minutes and help with scoring down low.

From the National Library of Medicine (aka legit source)

"Many people do well after this surgery. Recovery time can be slow. Many people can go back to sports or other intense activities in about 4 to 6 months. Athletes in very intense sports may not be able to return to their former level."

Judging by this list, the prospects don't look good for a return to the player he was/could've been:

Penny Hardaway
Amare Stoudamire
Tracy McGrady
Allan Houston
Jamal Mashburn
John Stockton
Kenyon Martin
http://www.sonicscentral.com/microfracture.html

Each one of these guys rapidly declined after the surgery.

Zach Randolph might be the only one to come back and be just as good, but he's not exactly Blake Griffin in the athletic department.

Judging by this list, the prospects don't look good for a return to the player he was/could've been:

Penny Hardaway
Amare Stoudamire
Tracy McGrady
Allan Houston
Jamal Mashburn
John Stockton
Kenyon Martin

Zach Randolph might be the only one to come back and be just as good, but he's not exactly Blake Griffin in the athletic department.

You left out Greg Oden. He's the post boy of microfractures, as far as I'm concerned.

didnt micro fxs essentially end yao ming's career as well. although, those may have been in the foot.

If this is a microfracture we might never see dc fully healthy.

Great scientific article on the very subject of athletes recovering from micro fracture surgery: http://ojs.sagepub.com/content/1/6/2325967113512759.full

Highlights:

- 41 players who had the procedure were studied

-Time to return for NBA players was 9.20 ± 4.88 months.

-Seventy-one percent (29/41) of players were able to return in the season following microfracture.

-After microfracture, case athletes played fewer games per season and with fewer points and steals per game (see chart below)
T2.medium.gif

didnt micro fxs essentially end yao ming's career as well. although, those may have been in the foot.
Two different things. With Yao, you're referring to fractures to bones in his feet. Microfracture surgery is a procedure that is used to grow cartilage in a joint that has deteriorated cartilage. So far, I've only heard of it performed on knees.

Isn't it possible that if Coleman isn't able to be cleared 100% in Sept, that SU will redshirt him and that's what JB means? Just throwing it out there.

Haven't seen a are listed but he went down hill quickly after that surgery if I'm not mistaken

Isn't it possible that if Coleman isn't able to be cleared 100% in Sept, that SU will redshirt him and that's what JB means? Just throwing it out there.
It's tough to put a positive spin on that statement. A healthy Coleman could have made a huge difference this season let alone thinking what would happen without him next season.

All I can add is what a poster said a couple of days ago. Saw Coleman coming out of the Melo Center asked him how he was doing and would he be ready and Coleman was all smiles with a yes. Not the exact words but meaning the same.

Penny Hardaway
Amare Stoudamire
Tracy McGrady
Allan Houston
Jamal Mashburn
John Stockton
Kenyon Martin

Well two potential differentiators; DC is significantly younger than any of those guys were when they had the surgery and quickness and leaping ability weren't really staples of his game before the surgery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom