Women's Lacrosse - SU 12 vs Stony Brook 11: Sun Feb 20, 4 PM | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 12 vs Stony Brook 11: Sun Feb 20, 4 PM

Lots of stuff to work on: Draw controls surprisingly poor, defense ok, offense looks anemic compared to Gait era. Hawryschuk (sp?) not herself yet. But, it was a good win over a really good team.

Lots of stuff to work on: Draw controls surprisingly poor, defense ok, offense looks anemic compared to Gait era. Hawryschuk (sp?) not herself yet. But, it was a good win over a really good team.
To add one more item - Need to figure out goalie situation too? Not a fan of playing 2 goalies

I’m really trying to like woman’s lacrosse but the rules seem a bit crazy. Any helpful tips to understanding what is the difference between woman’s and men’s lacrosse?
It’s a mess. I probably wouldn’t watch if cuse wasn’t good. It’s frustrating. It’d actually be quicker to list the rules they have in common

The sticks have a shallow pocket. That is why Tyrrell’s goal towards the end was called off. The pocket on her stick was too deep. At least I think that’s what they called. The pockets are checked by refs after every goal. That’s why they slam the stick down after they score

They have what’s called a draw control instead of a face off. It's beyond annoying. The refs have to set the ball in between the 2 girls sticks while standing. At times last year I remember it taking a minute or more to align them. They flip the ball up into the air and try to catch it. It generally seems unfair and should be rethought or just scrapped imo

There are no pads. Body checking is illegal. Stick checking might as well be too. They can’t check on the hands and there’s an imaginary halo around each girl’s head that can’t be can’t be swiped near. So every girl just cradles the ball close to their head when a defender’s around

12 players instead of 10. The field is longer and wider

Defensive players can draw charges, just like in basketball

Players are given a yellow card for their first penalty and a red card for their second and are ejected, similar to soccer

Shooting space violations are where a girl is about to shoot and a defender slides in front of them too late to try to block it. The offensive player is then given an 8 meter shot. That is unless she actually took the shot. Then it can be called a dangerous shot and she can get a penalty. That’s what happened to Cockerille when she doinked that ball off the stony brook’s player’s head. Sierra was expected to not shoot that ball even though she was practically right in front of the net. Or maybe it was because the shot was too wild? I don’t know

The reffing is capricious and can greatly impact final scores

There’s sooooo many more small differences that I can’t think of right now. The rules of the game could be improved sooooo much for viewers sake. But I’m not sure how the girls playing would feel about the changes

Last edited:
Offense has absolutely no chemistry so far this year, which is head scratching. I don't like what I have seen thus far. If we are going to do anything in the post season, this offense desperately needs to get it together/step it up. Swart needs to learn how to fake-- she has taken some epically bad shots these past few games. Once again, Sierra invisible the entire game. We need more from Hawryschuk. Really really really NOT liking S. Sweitzer running in the first half--or at all for that matter. Not seeing what Treanor is seeing in her, and tbh I'm not wanting to wait and find out either. I've seen all I need to see to know that she does not belong out there, period. Remove her, and make way for Olivia Adamson-- the ball moves way better when she's on the field. Adamson should have all the green lights to be more aggressive and take more shots.

I liked the adjustment made on defense with Chevarie playing down low and Simkins up top in the zone. Defense also needs more work done, especially the goalie's. They MUST start communicating with the defense, getting them organized, and start coming up with big saves in key moments, but hopefully over time that will come.

Offense has absolutely no chemistry so far this year, which is head scratching. I don't like what I have seen thus far. If we are going to do anything in the post season, this offense desperately needs to get it together/step it up. Swart needs to learn how to fake-- she has taken some epically bad shots these past few games. Once again, Sierra invisible the entire game. We need more from Hawryschuk. Really really really NOT liking S. Sweitzer running in the first half--or at all for that matter. Not seeing what Treanor is seeing in her, and tbh I'm not wanting to wait and find out either. I've seen all I need to see to know that she does not belong out there, period. Remove her, and make way for Olivia Adamson-- the ball moves way better when she's on the field. Adamson should have all the green lights to be more aggressive and take more shots.

I liked the adjustment made on defense with Chevarie playing down low and Simkins up top in the zone. Defense also needs more work done, especially the goalie's. They MUST start communicating with the defense, getting them organized, and start coming up with big saves in key moments, but hopefully over time that will come.
Give them time, this is a new season, new coaching staff and new players. It’s early in the season and we played a very savy coach and we still won.
Our staff will continue to make improvements game by game!
Go Orange!

It’s a mess. I probably wouldn’t watch if cuse wasn’t good. It’s frustrating. It’d actually be quicker to list the rules they have in common

The sticks have a shallow pocket. That is why Tyrrell’s goal towards the end was called off. The pocket on her stick was too deep. At least I think that’s what they called. The pockets are checked by refs after every goal. That’s why they slam the stick down after they score

They have what’s called a draw control instead of a face off. It's beyond annoying. The refs have to set the ball in between the 2 girls sticks while standing. At times last year I remember it taking a minute or more to align them. They flip the ball up into the air and try to catch it. It generally seems unfair and should be rethought or just scrapped imo

There are no pads. Body checking is illegal. Stick checking might as well be too. They can’t check on the hands and there’s an imaginary halo around each girl’s head that can’t be can’t be swiped near. So every girl just cradles the ball close to their head when a defender’s around

Players are given a yellow card for their first penalty and a red card for their second and are ejected, similar to soccer

Shooting space violations are where a girl is about to shoot and a defender slides in front of them too late to try to block it. The offensive player is then given an 8 meter shot. That is unless she actually took the shot. Then it can be called a dangerous shot and she can get a penalty. That’s what happened to Cockerille when she doinked that ball off the stony brook’s player’s head. Sierra was expected to not shoot that ball even though she was practically right in front of the net. Or maybe it was because the shot was too wild? I don’t know

There’s sooooo many more small differences that I can’t think of right now. The rules of the game could be improved sooooo much for viewers sake. But I’m not sure how the girls playing would feel about the changes
It's a great game. And, the stick work takes much more skill than the men's game.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Should Paul Gait have been honored with Gary or is it better to give him his own ceremony?

Last edited:
it would appear KT has moved away from Gate's weave offense. Putting her own stamp on it? Looked all too similar to what everyone runs and seemed to concentrate on setting up certain scorers.

it would appear KT has moved away from Gate's weave offense. Putting her own stamp on it? Looked all too similar to what everyone runs and seemed to concentrate on setting up certain scorers.
Can't say I was impressed.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom