SU -2.5 tomorrow | Syracusefan.com

SU -2.5 tomorrow

UConn will be up for it. Since they can't play in the post season they will treat this like a postseason game. I'm sure there is no love for Cuse either. Don't think they are that poor a rebounding team as their numbers show and Cuse isn't as good at rebounding (at least defensively) as numbers show. And it's a tough place to play. Will be a very good win for SU but this makes me nervous (most games do).

That's what Vegas wants you to think, that line actually scares me.

Lines are based on largely on statics and Vegas is often slow to adjust them for players added (James) and players lost (wolf)...there is not way -2.5 is a good number

-4 everywhere

On paper we should roll them, but how often do we go on the road in the big east and win easily? You know uconn will knock down some early 3s and get some confidence. I expect a close game.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Lines are based on largely on statics and Vegas is often slow to adjust them for players added (James) and players lost (wolf)...there is not way -2.5 is a good number

They knew James was playing and Wolf wasn't when they put out the line. 4 seems about right and the oddsmakers are never slow about adjusting lines.

UConn will be up for it. Since they can't play in the post season they will treat this like a postseason game. I'm sure there is no love for Cuse either. Don't think they are that poor a rebounding team as their numbers show and Cuse isn't as good at rebounding (at least defensively) as numbers show. And it's a tough place to play. Will be a very good win for SU but this makes me nervous (most games do).
Biggest game for UConn all year. Could be the last time we play them in a long time. In Hartford. UConn/Cuse games are always close it seems, regardless of the rankings. -2.5 makes sense

The last time they beat us in the regular season we had Kristof Ongaenet coming off the bench.
The last time they beat us in Hartford Gerry McNamara was our starting PG.

They knew James was playing and Wolf wasn't when they put out the line. 4 seems about right and the oddsmakers are never slow about adjusting lines.
Yes they are they just don't like to admit it, but my comment was to the line at -2.5 not -4. Most line adjustments a based on too much money on one side not injuries. For example the Heat are almost always road favorites because they are the Heat world champs and have Lebron but they are 12-11 on the road and will be buying me a new TV soon. The Lakers were similar until they completely collapsed.

Yes they are they just don't like to admit it, but my comment was to the line at -2.5 not -4. Most line adjustments a based on too much money on one side not injuries. For example the Heat are almost always road favorites because they are the Heat world champs and have Lebron but they are 12-11 on the road and will be buying me a new TV soon. The Lakers were similar until they completely collapsed.

Huh? Oddsmakers are never slow to adjust lines and I'm not sure who you can call to talk to them about admitting it. They didn't build that city being slow to move a line. I hope you knock 'em dead. Good Luck.

"Insert road team is stealing".
"Nah obviously a trap".
"Guys remember they want equal bets on both sides".

/Every line discussion on every board in every sport ever.

It's like a battle of who can be more wrong.

I have a hard to seeing more than one Guard go bonkers and shoot great against us which is what they will need to win IMO. I could see one guy doing that and keeping them in it for a while but our front line better abuse theirs or hang their heads in shame afterwords.

Just the offensive rebounding is enough for a blow out, we are 2nd they are dead last or near it. They are also down 1 front court player. This game will be a blowout, not even close.

I have a hard to seeing more than one Guard go bonkers and shoot great against us which is what they will need to win IMO. I could see one guy doing that and keeping them in it for a while but our front line better abuse theirs or hang their heads in shame afterwords.
Daniels has the POTENTIAL to do damage against the zone offensively (mainly in the Big East area), and Calhoun can hit shots if he's open. But UConn hasn't been successful against the zone very much recently (with better players too), and I see no reason why offensively this time should be any different. But you're right the difference is the frontlines, we should kill them on the boards and that should negate any hot shooting they have. If you ordered the best rebounders on the court 1-10 from the opening tip, I truly believe all 5 of ours guys would be ahead of any UConn player. MCW and probably Triche are better reboounders than Olander. Daniels will get his boards, but mainly because someone has to.

Not to mention I've seen them look completely lost at times this year vs. subpar zones from Seton Hall, USF and Rutgers; they've honestly looked clueless.

Not to mention I've seen them look completely lost at times this year vs. subpar zones from Seton Hall, USF and Rutgers; they've honestly looked clueless.

I'm asking this sincerely because I haven't watched those teams enough... how often do they play zone? I'm just curious if it will be a case of UConn having especially practiced for a zone against us that will make a difference vs how they looked against the zone in those games?

Anyhow, I hope the folks that seem to think we will smash them are right. As much as I love Mantonio, this is 1 thread I wouldn't listen to him on :) I made a moderate wager(for me, i am NOT a high roller lol, and this is actually my first time with college hoops this year) and my book had it at -4.5 already. Of course I've had my money in there for awhile and have no idea if they'll ever pay out if I got lucky a few times in a row and tried to cash out.

As for the oddsmakers, I agree with those who said their job is to get the public to bet as close to 50/50 as possible. That said, it's hard for me to see the average Joe looking at the records and not thinking the 'Cuse will cover, with a likelihood of it being relatively easy...which brings back memories of what would be called trap games, as mentioned earlier. I'm a humble guy looking to learn, if anyone cares to mention which online service(s) they trust, I'd be grateful(PM if necessary).

We are unquestionably the better team and should be able to go there and win by 8-10 points, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if this game was a dog fight.

Obviously this isn't the UConn juggernaut of the past, but they really don't have a bad loss all year, and beat Michigan State. Also they were a miracle regulation finish from winning at Marquette.

Shocked its so low
I am very interested to see whether UConn will play the 2-3 against Syracuse in this game. Given the struggles SU has had facing it, the lack of depth UConn has in the frontcourt and the horrible mismatches if they try and play man to man, I would be surprised if they open in man.

It would have really been a non brainer if Southerland was still out but I still think zone is their best chance to pull the upset.

I think JB will tilt the zone to take Napier out of the game and will be largely successful here. That should open things up somewhat for Boatright and Calhoun. I think the zone will focus on Boatright a lot too, opening things for Calhoun, who will probably end up leading them in scoring tonight.

Olander (sp?) will surely spend a lot of time at the high post, trying to get open jumpers or looks down low from there.

Should be an interesting game. A big key is whether Fair and Christmas will rebound the ball well, especially on the defensive end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom