SU and Injuries | Syracusefan.com

SU and Injuries

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Feels like we've had more issues with injuries since the National Championship than we did before.

2003-04 - we lost Edelin for half a season to ??
2004-05 - we again lose Edelin down the stretch
2007-08 - we lost Devendorf and Rautins to knee injuries
2008-09 - we lost Scoop to the stress fracture injury
2009-10 - AO goes down in the BET
2012-13 - DCII knee injury Pt 1
2013-14 - DC II knee injury Pt. 2
2014-15 - DC II knee injury Pt. 2 cont'd
CMac ?

I can't recall any significant injuries pre-NC at least any where we totally lost guys for significant stretches of the season. Am I forgetting about issues pre-NC or am I right?

I only use the NC as a dividing line because people often joke about having sold our souls to get the win but does anyone else feel like we've had more injuries than we used to see?

Last edited:
All programs have injuries, it just seems that ours happens at the worst possible times, to guys we can't afford to lose.

DC's back issues.

The Helicopter's ACL.

Shump's eye.

GMac's groin.

Feels like we've had more issues with injuries since the National Championship than we did before.

CMac ?

I can't recall any significant injuries pre-NC at least any where we totally lost guys for significant stretches of he season. Am I forgetting about issues pre-NC or am I right?

I only use the NC as a dividing line because people often joke about having sold our souls to get the win but does anyone else feel like we've had more injuries than we used to see?

Makes me wonder sometimes about overuse from year round basketball. I may be all wrong but in the "olden days", there weren't year round multiple leagues. Many players were 2 or 3 sport participants. They used different muscle groups for different sports. Currently there are travel leagues even down to 8 years old. Many youth coaches demand younger and younger that players "decide" what sport to specialize in. We could probably earn millions of dollars if we could definitively determine the "reason" though.

Didn't DeShaun sprain his wrist when he sucker-punched Otto?

Kris Joseph's back in . . . 2011?

The frequency seems to have increased in the last decade. There was a thread about this a year or two ago. As I recall, we went from Scott McCorkle's wrist to Shumpert's eye with no games missed due to injury over about an eight-year period (maybe Etan Thomas missed one early in his senior year).

And there weren't a lot before that run, either - Rautins, Addison, and Coleman missed some games, but we never really had serious injuries.

Seems like everyone is shredding knee ligaments these days.

OttoMets said:
The frequency seems to have increased in the last decade. There was a thread about this a year or two ago. As I recall, we went from Scott McCorkle's wrist to Shumpert's eye with no games missed due to injury over about an eight-year period (maybe Etan Thomas missed one early in his senior year). And there weren't a lot before that run, either - Rautins, Addison, and Coleman missed some games, but we never really had serious injuries. Seems like everyone is shredding knee ligaments these days.
On freaky sort of nothing plays I might add...

Makes me wonder sometimes about overuse from year round basketball. I may be all wrong but in the "olden days", there weren't year round multiple leagues. Many players were 2 or 3 sport participants. They used different muscle groups for different sports. Currently there are travel leagues even down to 8 years old. Many youth coaches demand younger and younger that players "decide" what sport to specialize in. We could probably earn millions of dollars if we could definitively determine the "reason" though.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How right you are Cherie. And in my line of work I see the end result of these overuse cumulative trauma injuries. It used to be rare to see young ones for ortho concerns, now if not daily it's weekly. Just had a 13 year old gal elite softball pitcher with a transverse lumbar vertebral stress fracture! Unheard of to see this at this age from with no other pathology present. Year round stress is what caused it. Too much.

Last edited:

100% agree with this.

My daughter's high school is a soccer powerhouse. Couple girls in the national team pool in their respective age groups. Multiple all-state players and D1 commits.

Just lost yet another player to an ACL injury with her club team.

By my count that makes 7 in the last three years.

These girls play all year-round. They finish their high school season and it is immediately back to ECNL, NPL, college showcases etc. and it continues through the end of July. One week off and it is back to the high school season.

Granted, anybody can get injured at anytime but I am thoroughly convinced that the single sport athlete, especially the girl athlete, is much more susceptible to catastrophic injury.

To give an example of how out of control it has gotten, there is a local girls soccer "Academy" (and I use the term very loosely) who had stated on their web site that, "starting at U10 (fourth grade), soccer needs to be the second most important thing in your life after school."

Really?

I'm not sure we sustain more injuries then the average D1 team. We remember all of ours but only the really important ones for other big time programs. We might I'm just not sure and I wonder what the season ending injury average is per team for say a standard 10 year period. I think there is some constant use issues because kids often play their sport in some format all year long even while growing up. I wonder if short periods (3 months or so) of different activities when they are still growing would help or hinder for possible major injuries.

CMac ?

I can't recall any significant injuries pre-NC at least any where we totally lost guys for significant stretches of the season. Am I forgetting about issues pre-NC or am I right?

Leo rautins in '82. it is why we went 16-13

There's lots of research that shows you are correct Cherie. My 11-year old son plays year round lacrosse up here but his coach actively encourages the kids to play other sports to make sure this exact thing doesn't happen. So he plays basketball and soccer in the "off-season" and still has lax once a week or so just to keep the kids thinking about it.

I like this from the summary and conclusions -

Early sport specialization may not lead to long-term success in sports and may increase risk for overuse injury and burnout.

(C) With the possible exception of early entry sports
such as gymnastics, figure skating, and swimming/diving, sport diversification should be encouraged at younger ages

The irony is that benefiting from injury played a pretty large role in obtaining our National Championship...

Wes Johnson 2/2/10. Undercut by a Providence player. Horrible fall that fortunately looked much worse than it was. His injured thumb bothered him for several games.

Last edited:

CMac ?

I can't recall any significant injuries pre-NC at least any where we totally lost guys for significant stretches of he season. Am I forgetting about issues pre-NC or am I right?

You aren't wrong--at least for our key players before 2003.

I honestly remember thinking back in the '90s how fortunate we were as a program never to have lost a player to a long term injury. The tide really seemed to turn on that front during the lost season of 07-08, where we lost both Rautins / Devendorf. After that, we've had injuries with alarming regularity. And I'm not talking about sprained ankles.

We have to lead division 1 in knee injuries the past eight years. Rautins. Devo. Arinze. Coleman X2. McCullough.

DC's back issues.

The Helicopter's ACL.

Shump's eye.

GMac's groin.

Shump's eye was a big one. He couldn't see for 10 games.
Gmac's groin was the reason we went out in first game of tourney vs Texas A&M (plus we were not that good, just had a magical run in the BET)>

Looks like Mike Waters is stealing story ideas from Syracusefan threads again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom