SU Announces Plan To Honor Pearl | Syracusefan.com

SU Announces Plan To Honor Pearl

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
When Syracuse basketball hosts Georgetown in the Carrier Dome on Saturday, December 17, fans will celebrate more than a long-time rivalry with the Hoyas. The event will include a tribute to Syracuse legend Dwayne "Pearl" Washington, and the whole University community can take part in honoring his memory.

"There was no better guy, and there's nobody who has meant more to our basketball program than Dwayne Washington," says Head Coach Jim Boeheim.

One of college basketball's all-time greatest performers, Washington passed away last spring after losing his battle with brain cancer. Now Syracuse University Athletics is establishing the Pearl Washington Endowed Fund for Continuing Education. With a goal of $1 million, the fund is being created to support student-athletes who left the University and are returning to pursue their degrees.

In honor of "number 31," a 31-day campaign gives Syracuse alumni, friends, and fans an opportunity to rally and support Washington's legacy. Those who visit the Honoring Pearl Washington website and make a gift of $31 or more by December 17 will receive a commemorative window cling (pictured left). Results of the effort will be announced during Washington's tribute ceremony at the Georgetown game.

The inspiration for this fund comes from Washington's own experience, when he left Syracuse after his junior year to play in the NBA and came back later to continue his education, thanks to financial support from the provost and director of athletics.

"Pearl will always be remembered for his athletic prowess, but he touched our hearts in many other ways," says John Wildhack, director of athletics. "This fund is so important, because it rewards the tenacity of individuals like Pearl who utilize their physical talents, but never lose sight of their educational dreams. We can't think of a more fitting way to honor him and hope alumni and friends everywhere will join us in supporting this campaign."

SU Announces Plan To Honor Pearl

Let's hope the crack Dome staff with the new sheriff in town don't screw this up. I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone have a picture of the window cling?

I wouldn't be surprised if John Thompson, Ewing, etc. attend this game to honor Pearl.

Thompson, maybe. Only because he wants to keep the GU vs. SU thing going for his son's sake. JT Jr doesn't do anything except as it benefits himself or his family and few friends.

I'd be shocked if Ewing showed up after Pearl gave him that well-deserved punch in that game. Pearl's greatest moment in my book.

30 years seems like an unhealthy amount of time to hold a grudge.

Maybe so but that's the Georgetown - Syracuse rivalry

30 years seems like an unhealthy amount of time to hold a grudge.

Holding a grudge is one thing. Showing up at the Dome pretending to miss Pearl is yet another.

I'll stick with my opinion that whatever Georgetown presence we see there is entirely self-serving. They need SU to remain relevant more than SU needs them.

John Thompson brought openly physical play to the Big East. The press, afraid to criticize him, said it was a Big East problem. After a season of fist fights on the court, no writer wrote that the games in which there were fights had one common element. One of the teams was always Georgetown.

I'd a soon not let Georgetown use this in an attempt to re-write history.

CxeByXBXUAAW-st.jpg

I believe that the scholarship endowment and link to donate is new.
That plus it was worth refreshing now that we are in basketball season. Mike's article appeared in August and, I suspect many people jus kind of glossed it over. There were only 11 comments on the article.

Thompson, maybe. Only because he wants to keep the GU vs. SU thing going for his son's sake. JT Jr doesn't do anything except as it benefits himself or his family and few friends.

I'd be shocked if Ewing showed up after Pearl gave him that well-deserved punch in that game. Pearl's greatest moment in my book.

I think that Ewing is some sort of coach with the Hornets now. They are playing in the ATL that day, so he's out.

Anywho, making the trip home for this special day. Can't wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom