SU Basketball: Built to Last | Syracusefan.com

SU Basketball: Built to Last

Quazzum69

Stable Genius
900 wins is pretty awesome (along with other great achievements) but the most impressive thing is what Boeheim has built. I think one of those commentators said it best when mentioning that we'd essentially lost the core of our team and the next year we have still have a top 5 team. Somehow SU can afford to have McD's AA sitting the bench but Boeheim could also have a legitimate 9-man rotation if he chose to. Unreal. Will SU become a perennial #1 seed juggernaut and continue to collect McD's AA for its bench or will Mike Hopkins take over and drive it all of a cliff?

I don't think Hopkins will drive it off a cliff. He's probably learned a lot from the ol man and I think he'll carry on quite well.

But I like the essence of your post. Boeheim means everything to this program and 900 wins is an incredible testament. I know that even after he retires, he'll return to Syracuse and rock the dome, time and time again.

I bet the program still thrives under Hop. Does anyone have any insight into how Hop will run the team, atleast "system-wise"? Will it be similar to the style JB plays?

I bet the program still thrives under Hop. Does anyone have any insight into how Hop will run the team, atleast "system-wise"? Will it be similar to the style JB plays?
Seeing as how he played under JB and has been an assistant here for 16 years, it'd be hard to imagine him changing things, all he knows is JB and SU basketball, he's seen how well it works.

Although I think I remember reading on here a few years ago that Hop likes M2M and would would switch up from the zone more than JB does? I'm not sure though.

I think he figured out what works for his system. And I would even say that the system That is in place now really didn't start until 3 to 4 years ago. I think it really changed when they made minor adjustments in the 2/3 zone as well as playing 8/9 players a game vs 7/8. They've also identified the perfect ype of player and body type to play in the 2/3 zone.

I doubt he'd change anything up. Why take a winning formula, one that works for recruiting stars to an area like Syracuse, and change it? It's not as if he's coming in to rebuild or fix a problem... . He's prob been signed as part of his loyalty and also part bc he won't change anything

The commentator during break also said JB is prob responsible for the whole athletic dept getting better or being great

I'm pretty sure Hop does most of the day to day stuff now anyways. He definitely is the main man for recruiting, the question is whether he's better or worse as a game time coach than Boeheim. And that could be considered Boeheim's biggest weakness.

900 wins is pretty awesome (along with other great achievements) but the most impressive thing is what Boeheim has built... Will SU become a perennial #1 seed juggernaut and continue to collect McD's AA for its bench or will Mike Hopkins take over and drive it all of a cliff?
I believe we're in a good place with a HOF coach at his peak and his junior partner making big contributions. Hopkins will do well as HC when it's his time, but I feel pretty blessed having both of them right now. The stability of our program is a major strength that most schools find elusive. It truly is a special time to be an SU fan.