SU but also Duke and Kansas now gone - Kentucky and NC next? | Syracusefan.com

SU but also Duke and Kansas now gone - Kentucky and NC next?

thebigeast44

Starter
2 of the elite 4 teams in the country also lost to double digit seeds. Wonder if their fans are hammering their coaches?

their fans probably are criticizing Self and K. Would they be wrong in doing so?

You can't shoot you won't advance far. Lots of similarites between the game yesterday and Kansas today. Grant played poorly. Wiggins played poorly. Frankamp the only guy making threes for Kansas. Little inside scoring without Embiid.

2 of the elite 4 teams in the country also lost to double digit seeds. Wonder if their fans are hammering their coaches?

They are. Here's one post I found in about 2 seconds

"Something has to be said about Self- excellent regular season coach, a bit of an underachiever in the tournament. He is still young enough where he could turn the reputation around.

So now in the last 10 years, KU ties G-town and Syracuse with the most losses (4) to double-digit seeds (this does not even count the loss to Northern Iowa).

Figures that when the path to the Elite 8 opened up, Self's team tightens up and can't play freely. It is a common March sight."

samspann1 said:
their fans probably are criticizing Self and K. Would they be wrong in doing so?

No - the fans should just not go overboard doing it (like some are doing here). All 3 teams had weaknesses this year and it cost them.

Probably they are.. Venting can be good, that's what the board is for I guess..?

One of the reasons I don't dump on Boeheim for our flame out this year...it was obvious that we had no reliable shooters. Nothing he could do about that. It was fool's gold early and JB knew it. There were a few on the board who also curbed their enthusiasm.

Look at all the matchups today. All the favorites could easily lose including the three #1 seeds and I wouldn't be surprised. Those seedings don't mean as much anymore.

No - the fans should just not go overboard doing it (like some are doing here). All 3 teams had weaknesses this year and it cost them.

what if the criticisms of Self and K are legitimate?

bevosu said:
One of the reasons I don't dump on Boeheim for our flame out this year...it was obvious that we had no reliable shooters. Nothing he could do about that. It was fool's gold early and JB knew it. There we a few on the board who also curbed their enthusiasm.

When I saw the team play their first exhibition game last August in Montreal, I told my wife, "This team doesn't have an outside threat if Cooney isn't making shots."

cliftonparksufan said:
Look at all the matchups today. All the favorites could easily lose including the three #1 seeds and I wouldn't be surprised. Those seedings don't mean as much anymore.

But we all seem to get caught up in seedlings. Many here were all worked up about being a top seed. It means nothing. What's important is how you're playing, who you're playing and where you're playing.

Then seeding. Last.

samspann1 said:
what if the criticisms of Self and K are legitimate?

I'd be happy with any of those 3 HOF quality coaches. Fans can criticize all they want but IMHO, fans should feel incredibly fortunate to have those coaches running their programs.

I'd be happy with any of those 3 HOF quality coaches. Fans can criticize all they want but IMHO, fans should feel incredibly fortunate to have those coaches running their programs.

they're professionals. I'm sure that they expect to receive criticism when their teams lose. I bet that it doesn't even bother them - the only ones who are probably bothered by it are those who think that their coaches can do no wrong.

samspann1 said:
they're professionals. I'm sure that they expect to receive criticism when their teams lose. I bet that it doesn't even bother them - the only ones who are probably bothered by it are those who think that their coaches can do no wrong.

No one is saying they are immune to criticism. But some of the overblown criticism from folks who don't know the game nearly as much as those 3, is what I find ridiculous.

No one is saying they are immune to criticism. But some of the overblown criticism from folks who don't know the game nearly as much as those 3, is what I find ridiculous.

but what's "overblown", and what's legitimate?

I do think there are people who bristle at ANY criticism of JB, regardless of its legitimacy. I can't really speak as to KU or Duke fans, as I don't read their forums.

I am a member of a Duke forum and they are heavily criticizing K, some even calling for him to move on.

EnnisEnvy said:
I am a member of a Duke forum and they are heavily criticizing K, some even calling for him to move on.

That's the type I'm talking about.

You can't lose to double digit seeds unless you're a high seed. Guess what, you have to pretty good to always get top 6 seeds. JB had been in the tourney 36 times and has lost to a double digit seed 6 times. That's not bad. Many teams wouldn't even be seeded in single digits.

I think that's a bit much, but IMO, their reliance on the 3-pter and poor defense isn't limited to this season.

Again, no gold medals, NCAA titles of 1000+ wins for me, just my observation.

I think that's a bit much, but IMO, their reliance on the 3-pter and poor defense isn't limited to this season.

Again, no gold medals, NCAA titles of 1000+ wins for me, just my observation.

They were woeful at using Parker in the paint and their defense was horrid for a Duke team. I don't know why they believe this but they think the refs are against them every game and there is a Duke bias against them.

Bomani Jones thinks Coach K gets a pass because of a lack of talent- say what? Apparently Lehigh and Mercer have better players than Duke. Not saying K should get a ton of blame, but to dump on JB and Self and not K is crazy.

As for Kansas, maybe playing a killer non-conference schedule isn't the key to success that some think it is (yes I know not having Embiid is huge)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom