SU got 4 votes Arizona 64 for #1 | Syracusefan.com

SU got 4 votes Arizona 64 for #1

We lost Jon Wilner from the San Jose newspaper.

However, little ole Ron Morris is finally waking up and put Syracuse 3rd this week behind Arizona and Michigan State.

It amazes me how subjective these polls are and while in basketball they are irrelevant because of the computers they shape perception way too much for my liking. Syracuse is a NC contender this season, but when I look at the polls the teams that are ranked from 5th to 10th scare me less than 11th thru 15th. I would rather play Villanova, Wichita State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Florida for a berth in the Final Four over Iowa State, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas.

It amazes me how subjective these polls are and while in basketball they are irrelevant because of the computers they shape perception way too much for my liking. Syracuse is a NC contender this season, but when I look at the polls the teams that are ranked from 5th to 10th scare me less than 11th thru 15th. I would rather play Villanova, Wichita State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Florida for a berth in the Final Four over Iowa State, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas.

Good post. Me too.

So SU picked up 2 first place votes since a month ago. At this rate they'll be #1 in 2015 ! Co Cuse!

Rankings at this time of year rely way too much on one or two results. Teams waste anywhere from 65 to 90 percent of their games playing teams they have no chance of losing to in OOC, so there are few quality games to separate the good teams - most competitve BCS schools avoid the road in OOC and play one or two road games at most. In some years, like this year, there will be enough sample for a few teams to distinguish themselves. But after that its just a muddy cluster after the top 5 with not much distinguishing teams and we are ranking them by one or two close results... when most of those teams should at least play another 10 relatively competitive games in the regular season.

The season is about half over, but competitive games are only 20-25% over for most teams. Creates undue confidence for some, and room for alot of change.

Though I don't fret over the polls, until it gets close to seeding time, I would be curious to see if Cuse sweeps the voting if Arizona loses and we are still unbeaten.

Though I don't fret over the polls, until it gets close to seeding time, I would be curious to see if Cuse sweeps the voting if Arizona loses and we are still unbeaten.

The answer is no .. for now. There are still some voters that have us at #3, and if Zona loses those teams would jump Syracuse.

I also think as the season progresses if Wisconsin stays at the same number of losses as us... at 0 they will gain some votes, and at 1 or 2 I think they will pass us as well given the Big10 vs Acc. I don't see Wisconsin matching us in losses, but if it did...