SU hoops, the wintertime, and hope | Syracusefan.com

SU hoops, the wintertime, and hope

pearl31

in cahoots
Every winter since I became a fan 30+ years ago it has been SU hoops that gets me through. Hell, I'd grown to almost like winter the best because it meant it was 4 months of Syracuse basketball - living in MN (as is the case with central NY) that's saying something.

In December of virtually every season, after the pre-conference games are finished, there has always been an excitement, a legitimate "this team has a shot to do some things!" anticipation. Two years ago, with the NCAA cloud and a roster in a bit of shambles, there wasn't much hope - and then the self-imposed ban essentially made that season null and void. But even two years ago I still had a sense of it just being a one-season bump in the road. Still had a sense of hope.

Now, this season, it's almost Christmas and the hope just isn't there - let alone excitement or anticipation. It's a feeling (non-feeling?) that is just so foreign and so demoralizing. I suppose it feels that much worse after looking at the collected talent on paper and hearing/reading JB's proclamations and others' practice assessments.

I kind of wish it were another case of an NCAA cloud, or injuries, or off-court issues, or something tangible like that. But it's just sort of this overwhelming, nebulous feeling of hopelessness in terms of the team's prospects for this season and beyond.

So, I realize all of this might come off a bit melodramatic when, at the end of the day, it's a game we're talking about. But this is a fan forum for Orange basketball and for better or worse SU hoops had become perhaps thee thing for me for 1/3 of my year, for the past 30+ years.

I don't know, I guess I just wish I had some hope right now. :(

Every winter since I became a fan 30+ years ago it has been SU hoops that gets me through. Hell, I'd grown to almost like winter the best because it meant it was 4 months of Syracuse basketball - living in MN (as is the case with central NY) that's saying something.

In December of virtually every season, after the pre-conference games are finished, there has always been an excitement, a legitimate "this team has a shot to do some things!" anticipation. Two years ago, with the NCAA cloud and a roster in a bit of shambles, there wasn't much hope - and then the self-imposed ban essentially made that season null and void. But even two years ago I still had a sense of it just being a one-season bump in the road. Still had a sense of hope.

Now, this season, it's almost Christmas and the hope just isn't there - let alone excitement or anticipation. It's a feeling (non-feeling?) that is just so foreign and so demoralizing. I suppose it feels that much worse after looking at the collected talent on paper and hearing/reading JB's proclamations and others' practice assessments.

I kind of wish it were another case of an NCAA cloud, or injuries, or off-court issues, or something tangible like that. But it's just sort of this overwhelming, nebulous feeling of hopelessness in terms of the team's prospects for this season and beyond.

So, I realize all of this might come off a bit melodramatic when, at the end of the day, it's a game we're talking about. But this is a fan forum for Orange basketball and for better or worse SU hoops had become perhaps thee thing for me for 1/3 of my year, for the past 30+ years.

This is exactly how I feel. I've mentioned before that I've had some health problems in my life. I had a three year stretch where I was basically on bed rest the entire time when I wasn't working and that culminated in 60 days in the hospital. There really wasn't much I looked forward to or enjoyed about life during that time, but one of the only things that could make me forget I was sick was those 2 hours when we had a basketball game.

I'll still be watching the rest of the year - I love it too much. But to not really look forward to it just makes me sad.

Every program has a down year and by down I mean bad.
1989 Kentucky 13-18
1995 Duke 13-18
2002 North Carolina 8-20
2003 UCLA 10-19
2011 Indiana 11-20

It is happening to us this year. We will be fine as long as the coaching change is handled well and we start recruiting harder than just the I-95 corridor and Canada.

Every program has a down year and by down I mean bad.
1989 Kentucky 13-18
1995 Duke 13-18
2002 North Carolina 8-20
2003 UCLA 10-19
2011 Indiana 11-20

It is happening to us this year. We will be fine as long as the coaching change is handled well and we start recruiting harder than just the I-95 corridor and Canada.

That's a good point, but one great thing about Boeheim was while he may not have the amount of FFs or NCs as some of the blue bloods one thing you always counted on was that we at least would never have a bad team maybe a mediocre NIT Team but never bad like this.

I guess Michelle Obama was right after all (re: Hope)

There is always hope, unless one chooses to believe otherwise.

Every season in sports is really a multifaceted story unfolding before our eyes, and the fact that no one can know the outcome beforehand is a big part of the appeal, at least for me.

I'm still all in, no matter where this one finally ends up, and look forward to some good moments ahead for this team. If that makes me some sort of Pollyanna, so be it. It beats the alternative.

The emotional drain is significant this time. There is clearly no hiding from it, the warning bell has rung, and a klaxon has taken over and is deafening now.

As a lifelong fan, I do consider myself a diehard. I understand the game, I understand the ebb and flow of seasons, I understand that sometimes the better teams will lose out early and not reach full potential while others will streak to a Final Four. This isn't the X's and O's conversation.

Despite being an adult now, and watching my beloved Orange, I will still get nervous for most games. Some games more than other of course, obviously. Last night was no exception before the tip. I didn't think the team would bottom out as they did.

While not watching the game live - I looked at the clock in real time around 8:15PM, wondering...how are my Orange doing? I really didn't like the feeling, but like most I thought post E. Michigan we were in better shape. I also thought, St. John's will give us fits (just because its never easy loving the Orange) but we can handle the challenge. I was worried because of recent history vs. SJU.

Upon watching the game and subsequently my post game reflection, I immediately had to revisit why I love my Orange, and I need to place this properly on the shelf. Devastation.

I have been conditioned by the Orange. Even our best teams always leave me with some doubt. Syracuse has always left me never fully trusting them, and its kind of the appeal in a sadistic way. The ride can be crazy and unexpected. We are 2nd tier elite, certainly one of the best programs in name brand recognition, and success - no question. Because of our second tier status, we play in this murky space where anything can happen because we are not Duke/UNC, KU, UK, and down the line. Our talent can vary, it is not reload central. We have to be careful. To date, JB has built this system that works. He has made our Dome a wonderful place as things go.

The past few years (no need to re-hash) have been so stressful - and this system is/has been fraying for a host of reasons. My reflection took me to some dark places. I am foolish enough to admit Syracuse hoops impacts my mood, I can fake it most days when the chips are down like now. Last night however, I was determined to not quit on the Orange in the long view of things. I must re-calibrate what success is now.

Success will be the development of players (save the graduates.) I am looking for everyone to take the lumps now, and strive to get better. Battle, TT, Lydon, Howard, etc. What else is there? The hard work must be put in.

My point in writing isn't to bash or praise JB. He can run hot and cold with all of us. What he did last night at the podium was correct. He was dejected and he took the blame when we all know everyone was to blame (JB included.)

Our team is frustrating, and not equipped to execute what we normally expect to see. However, we are not as bad as we played last night, I was expecting the level in which we played against G'town last weekend. Something happened and it spread like wildfire last eve. The game did take on the feeling of the few mega blowouts we have suffered over the years. I can understand the night was lost and thus the effort was sub par (not making an excuse here) and we just had to get off the floor. The cliches are in full swing now, but its done. Is starts with Cornell now, and we have to start over and build up, thinking beyond 2017. Let us incrementally get better now, and into the off season.

There will be no miracle drug here to make us feel better. Bumps in the road are 100% but the good news is we are at rock bottom. Nothing will shock us anyone more this season - seriously. We have to stay with our Orange and think the long run (no matter what the coaching staff looks like today and/or tomorrow.)

We care too much about Syracuse hoops.

The emotional drain is significant this time. There is clearly no hiding from it, the warning bell has rung, and a klaxon has taken over and is deafening now.

As a lifelong fan, I do consider myself a diehard. I understand the game, I understand the ebb and flow of seasons, I understand that sometimes the better teams will lose out early and not reach full potential while others will streak to a Final Four. This isn't the X's and O's conversation.

Despite being an adult now, and watching my beloved Orange, I will still get nervous for most games. Some games more than other of course, obviously. Last night was no exception before the tip. I didn't think the team would bottom out as they did.

While not watching the game live - I looked at the clock in real time around 8:15PM, wondering...how are my Orange doing? I really didn't like the feeling, but like most I thought post E. Michigan we were in better shape. I also thought, St. John's will give us fits (just because its never easy loving the Orange) but we can handle the challenge. I was worried because of recent history vs. SJU.

Upon watching the game and subsequently my post game reflection, I immediately had to revisit why I love my Orange, and I need to place this properly on the shelf. Devastation.

I have been conditioned by the Orange. Even our best teams always leave me with some doubt. Syracuse has always left me never fully trusting them, and its kind of the appeal in a sadistic way. The ride can be crazy and unexpected. We are 2nd tier elite, certainly one of the best programs in name brand recognition, and success - no question. Because of our second tier status, we play in this murky space where anything can happen because we are not Duke/UNC, KU, UK, and down the line. Our talent can vary, it is not reload central. We have to be careful. To date, JB has built this system that works. He has made our Dome a wonderful place as things go.

The past few years (no need to re-hash) have been so stressful - and this system is/has been fraying for a host of reasons. My reflection took me to some dark places. I am foolish enough to admit Syracuse hoops impacts my mood, I can fake it most days when the chips are down like now. Last night however, I was determined to not quit on the Orange in the long view of things. I must re-calibrate what success is now.

Success will be the development of players (save the graduates.) I am looking for everyone to take the lumps now, and strive to get better. Battle, TT, Lydon, Howard, etc. What else is there? The hard work must be put in.

My point in writing isn't to bash or praise JB. He can run hot and cold with all of us. What he did last night at the podium was correct. He was dejected and he took the blame when we all know everyone was to blame (JB included.)

Our team is frustrating, and not equipped to execute what we normally expect to see. However, we are not as bad as we played last night, I was expecting the level in which we played against G'town last weekend. Something happened and it spread like wildfire last eve. The game did take on the feeling of the few mega blowouts we have suffered over the years. I can understand the night was lost and thus the effort was sub par (not making an excuse here) and we just had to get off the floor. The cliches are in full swing now, but its done. Is starts with Cornell now, and we have to start over and build up, thinking beyond 2017. Let us incrementally get better now, and into the off season.

There will be no miracle drug here to make us feel better. Bumps in the road are 100% but the good news is we are at rock bottom. Nothing will shock us anyone more this season - seriously. We have to stay with our Orange and think the long run (no matter what the coaching staff looks like today and/or tomorrow.)

Great first post. Don't be a stranger

No, Pearl, not melodramatic. I think you summed things up pretty well.

Wow. Fabulous! Heartfelt, introspective. If only the subject matter were something else! Welcome to the board.

There is always hope, unless one chooses to believe otherwise.

Every season in sports is really a multifaceted story unfolding before our eyes, and the fact that no one can know the outcome beforehand is a big part of the appeal, at least for me.

I'm still all in, no matter where this one finally ends up, and look forward to some good moments ahead for this team. If that makes me some sort of Pollyanna, so be it. It beats the alternative.

Makes two of us...

All-Cuse, All-in, all-the-time...

And I should be clear - I most definitely have hope for the future of SU basketball - I mean even with next year it's too early with too many moving parts and contingencies to try and say it's going to be this or going to be that - I'm really talking about hope for this year in the sense of the team being there at the end (conf/NCAA tournies) and feeling like we can compete with pretty much anyone on a neutral floor

Unlike the past few seasons, this "bump" in the road feels a lot more devastating because it has the stink of permanence. Not in the sense of it being forever, but for the first time that I can recall, the multi-year outlook is teetering precariously on the edge of a cliff. 2-5 years out we could be looking at any number of scenarios. We could be fine. Hopkins may right the ship and restore order to our winters. Or we could be facing a dome that is mostly empty with talks of moving the team to the war memorial (ok it probably will never get THAT bad but I'd rather not dismiss that possibility and create even more bad karma).

SU hoops was like the Fed - for the past 35+ years - we knew certain benchmarks were ironclad backed by the full faith and trust in the U.S. government. Now it feels like 1929 and I'm trying to stuff dollar bills under my mattress. I've moved from panic and fear to numb, detached acceptance... for the first time ever, there is no reassurance that next year will be any better. The winters are long and depressing as it is. I truly feel for those who don't have other outlets to turn to in these times.