SU is Marrone's longest tenure | Syracusefan.com

SU is Marrone's longest tenure

AgentOrange

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
He worked for GT for 4 years and the Jets and the Saints for 3 years each. He has never worked anywhere for 5 years or more. Combine that with the fact that he's 48 years old and his NFL window might be closing (there are only 12 or so coaches in the league over 50), and it seems like Marrone should have one foot out of the door. Maybe 4 years is long enough to spend in his dream job.

He worked for GT for 4 years and the Jets and the Saints for 3 years each. He has never worked anywhere for 5 years or more. Combine that with the fact that he's 48 years old and his NFL window might be closing (there are only 12 or so coaches in the league over 50), and it seems like Marrone should have one foot out of the door. Maybe 4 years is long enough to spend in his dream job.
Very telling post

I agree that his window of opportunity might be closing due to his age, but I'm not sure your point about tenure is necessarily atypical.

If you looked at the resumes of most coaches, wouldn't it show long lists of employers? It seems pretty standard that coaches stick around for three-four years and then move on (either willingly or not).

Very telling post

Very few football coaches in college stay in one place for longer than 3 or 4 years. Position coaches are trying to be coordinators, coordinators are trying to become head coaches, etc.

What in the world is wrong with loyalty? Especially if you're making a couple million dollars a year. Why is no one loyal anymore? Maybe a better question why is no one content anymore? Everyone is chasing something that looks sooo much better and most get burned by it.

If you got a good thing going, it seems like it's almost always better to be happy and ride it rather than jump to something that could be even better. If you make $2 mil,are you really going to be THAT much happier with 4? If people around you respect and appreciate you and genuinely want you around, does it get any better than that even when you could have more eyes on you?

I don't know. I don't know. But it seems like so many people have lost out chasing the next best thing.

I agree that his window of opportunity might be closing due to his age, but I'm not sure your point about tenure is necessarily atypical.

If you looked at the resumes of most coaches, wouldn't it show long lists of employers? It seems pretty standard that coaches stick around for three-four years and then move on (either willingly or not).

Not trying to claim that he is atypical, actually the contrary. We agree. He has a typical coach's resume, which suggests that every few years it is time to move on. He is not of the uncommon Beamer, Ferentz, or Stoops (Bob) ilk.

Not a single person on this board would claim "loyalty" and turn down a 20million dollar offer to stay local and support our university making 5mil.

i don't think you can use his assistant coaching history as an indication of what type of coach/person he is. in college sports, you have to take the opportunities given to you when you are coming through the ranks, which a lot of the time means moving around to move up.

On average, how much are NFL coaches paid? I seriously don't know. I want facts and a link

Not a single person on this board would claim "loyalty" and turn down a 20million dollar offer to stay local and support our university making 5mil.

i would actually. if you cant be happy with 5 million a year in life..then you cant be happy. keep chasing my friend

Fla State - 1 year
Southern Miss - 2 years
Memphis State - 1 year
Iowa St - 3 years
LSU - 1 yr
App St - 1 yr
Oklahoma - 1 yr

Mack Brown's assistant coaching tenure. I could list probably 99% of the head coaches with the same track record before they became head coach

Not trying to claim that he is atypical, actually the contrary. We agree. He has a typical coach's resume, which suggests that every few years it is time to move on. He is not of the uncommon Beamer, Ferentz, or Stoops (Bob) ilk.

well then I like how you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom