SU learning Seattle Tackling Technique | Syracusefan.com

SU learning Seattle Tackling Technique

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
With the help of Brian Ward

Seattle Tackling Technique Being Embraced under Brian Ward – Otto's Grove

Say what you want about Pete, but he's an innovative sob

Isn't this pretty much old school tackling that a number of us have been asking for for years? It's sad that crummy tackling has become so prevalent that teaching it right is a big deal.

its nothing new. it's 'old school' tackling, lol, like what we were taught in the 80's. you know old school.

its good that the basic fundamentals are being retaught. the biggest thing imo is head injuries.

So we're going to nut punch people?

I mean, gotta stop them somehow.

Don't agree with the head behind the body. I know. Limit all possible injury. But they can't run through your head and arms. Whitesboro high school was teaching this a few years back and my coaching staff refused to adjust. Get your head in front of the carriers angle, then drive and lift.

OttoinGrotto said:
So we're going to nut punch people? I mean, gotta stop them somehow.

I don't think Clawson has any. Can't and won't confirm.

Our tackling has been atrocious the past couple of years, they have to try something.

You can talk any scheme you want. But the game is still blocking and tackling. You are good at that, you will be competitive.

I'm totally in favor of this. I hate these "Superman" tackles where the defender goes flying through the air hoping that the force of his blow will knock the ball carrier off his feet. he can miss or hit a glancing blow the ball carrier can bounce off. Either player is more likely to b injured with this flashy but stupid technique.

I remember when Danny Parkins had a Noon show here and insisted that Dick Butkus, (who played before he was born), "made his living on helmet-to-helmet tackles". I went to You-Tube and watched three Butkus highlight tapes which must have been from different season sicne there were no repeats. I didn't see a single helmet-to-helmet hit. Butkus led with his shoulder, arms out, gained control of the guy and then drove him backwards or threw him to the ground. he was a rough, tough guy but he was a textbook tackler.

Remember G-Rob having his players throw uppercuts? Jeesh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom