SU MBB 40 year high/low points | Syracusefan.com

SU MBB 40 year high/low points

miamicuse

Starter
If you look at SUMBB the last 40 years or so (no particular reason why 40 years just a random number since my freshman year was the fall of 1979), is there a moment, a game or a season you consider that to be the absolute peak for the program? That you would point to it and say that's the best we have ever been? Which moment/game/season? The 2003 championship game? The 6OT game final seconds? The 2010 or 2012 end of regular season before the injury and the paper incident?

The flip side, the lowest point?

I think many consider the end of the Tyler Ennis season as the beginning of the ten year long decline, but wasn't a decline from the peak.

If we think of SUMBB as a stock, what would the 40 year stock chart look like?

Highs, the seasons. All of them, even the last few.
Lows, end of each season except 03. Even then I was sad to see it end. I miss the passion I feel during hoops season. For me, the best years are when my beloved Red Sox start right after the SU season ende and SU starts after the Sox won the World Series.

Program was very strong between 1986-1991, in the late 90s, 2003-2005 and 2009-2014. The stretch from 2020-2024 has been basically rock bottom for our standards.
I would say they were also very strong in the mid 90's (94-96). Even though they were a 7 seed in the 95 tournament when they lost in OT to Arkansas, that team had the talent of a top 3 seeded team.

Last edited:
I would say they were also very strong in the mid 90's (94-96). Even though the were a 7 seed in the 95 tournament when they lost in OT to Arkansas, that team had the talent of a top 3 seeded team.
Agreed should have said “mid to late” 90s.

Maybe it wasn't the absolute "low" spot but that morning when an undertalented and underachieving (a sneaky-bad combination) SU team had just lost a who-cares early-round NIT game and then Mike Hopkins resigned was a serious "Oh, this thing is going to end really badly" moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom