SU offers a class about "The Science of Snow" | Syracusefan.com

SU offers a class about "The Science of Snow"

science of snow is an intro 101 course. art history of snow 201 is an advanced course covering the lyrics and cultural significance of the rapper snow. LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN !

Last edited:
I guess there is no better school for such an offering. Actually, it sounds like fun

New Class Explores the Science of Snow at Syracuse University

For whatever reason, this reminded me of my first week freshman year (fall 1998)...

One of the first things they told us, "you will not get classes canceled due to weather".

Labor Day storm happens. Classes canceled. I remember running down the stairs from the 6th floor of Day Hall to get to the lounge during the actual storm because of the danger of the windows blowing out.

A guy from TSN (Cabbie), had an interview with RJ Barrett. Asked RJ about some of his classes, he mentioned 3 bird classes, can remember a few of them.

He said he takes a course in Hip Hop Studies at Duke. As well as "Elementary French".. given that people in Ontario need to take some French Courses up to Grade 9, it can't be that hard.

For whatever reason, this reminded me of my first week freshman year (fall 1998)...

One of the first things they told us, "you will not get classes canceled due to weather".

Labor Day storm happens. Classes canceled. I remember running down the stairs from the 6th floor of Day Hall to get to the lounge during the actual storm because of the danger of the windows blowing out.

That’s incredible. I remember that storm. It was scary. Was quite young, living in Fayetteville. Had school canceled for a week and didn’t have power for the same length of time!

Day Hall during the Labor Day Storm... yikes.

Part of the final exam is a blind taste test of different colored snow. They have to identify if it's vanilla, lemon or chocolate color.

Were students not told to go to like the lower levels?
I was about to start 8th grade at the time, and I woke up to my mom moving us into the basement in Elbridge. It happened so quick, I'm not sure if they would have had time. Our swinging garage doors, that were padlocked, were ripped off the hinges. Ironwoods (Ostrya virginiana for you stumpies) in our woodland were not uprooted, but snapped aboveground. That is some incredibly strong wood to rip apart! Cornfield across the street had a line of pulverized corn stalks in swirl patterns, making us skeptical that it was only a straight-line wind that struck.

I think we were out of power for something like 12 days, and they live right on the Camillus/Elbridge town line (house actually in Camillus) so we weren't too far out from civilization; the power infrastructure had just been annihilated.