SU officials want to maintain connection to MSG, NYC | Syracusefan.com

SU officials want to maintain connection to MSG, NYC

Translation:

We will take our 3 best home games each year and move them to MSG. Your welcome New York City Syracuse Alumni and local Syracuse fans in case you were wondering we don't give two craps about you.

-Daryl Gross

2K Sports Classic
Coaches vs Cancer
Legends Classic
NIT
Gotham Classic

Translation:

We will take our 3 best home games each year and move them to MSG. Your welcome New York City Syracuse Alumni and local Syracuse fans in case you were wondering we don't give two craps about you.

-Daryl Gross

Don't get your boxers in a knot. Unlike football, the basketball team will NEVER play a conference home game outside of the Dome. Won't happen. Basketball makes all of the money for the SU athletic department, and giving up Dome games would put a major dent in that. The Dome is basketball's cash cow and an advantage most other schools don't have. We'll continue to leverage that even with ACC $$$. The only way we play a quality non-conference opponent in MSG is if it's part of a pre-season tournament or it's a home and home with SJU or UConn. I don't see us ever going back to Gampel or Hartford after this season. If the Huskies want a series it'll be a Dome game and a negotiated game with MSG.

Translation:

-Daryl Gross
That's not the case, nor will it be.

Translation:

-Daryl Gross

While that isn't going to happen, I do believe part of the "amazing rise" in athletic revenue for 2011-12 (being discussed over on the football side) may very well be TGD's stroking the egos of our NYC alum by his efforts to continue to get us into the NYC area at least once every year in basketball and once every other year in football.

And if that assumption is indeed proven partially correct, it really, really, really, isn't a bad thing.

For the record, I foresee all home games vs Duke and UNC being at the dome and some special games with them where the court is moved to the center to maximize attendance beyond 33K.

Cheers,
Neil

For the record, I foresee all home games vs Duke and UNC being at the dome and some special games with them where the court is moved to the center to maximize attendance beyond 33K.

Cheers,
Neil

If you take out the logistics of displacing season ticket holders, I'm thinking JAB is totally against moving the court. You know TGD must be drooling at the idea of 40K for a hoop game. I think if it was going to happen, it would have already.

SU shouldn't sacrifice a home game. We are an elite program and teams such as a St. John's or a Villanova would be an ideal opponent in the Garden. It is a must to continue playing down their for recruiting and our alumni.

Translation:

-Daryl Gross
Chill. We usually play 2 games (or 3 if the NIT) a year there, excluding the BET. Nothing changes. We aren't moving Duke or UNC there. Won't happen.

If you take out the logistics of displacing season ticket holders, I'm thinking JAB is totally against moving the court. You know TGD must be drooling at the idea of 40K for a hoop game. I think if it was going to happen, it would have already.

Wouldn't SU just be able to give season ticket holders equivalent seats for any game with the court moved to the center of the Dome? I've never understood why that would be so difficult.

Translation:

-Daryl Gross
Just for Bees, that will never happen

Wouldn't SU just be able to give season ticket holders equivalent seats for any game with the court moved to the center of the Dome? I've never understood why that would be so difficult.
Exactly, but I think that's the standard excuse. That's why I think JAB has other reasons he is against it.

Suppose you have season tickets in Section 113, behind the basket.

Where do they move you to? If they put you in Section 108, you'll be 50 yards away from the basket.

Suppose you're in Sec 109 at midcourt? They can move you to Sec 116 or 117, but you'll still be further away from the court.

DomeExpanded.gif

Suppose you have season tickets in Section 113, behind the basket.

Where do they move you to? If they put you in Section 108, you'll be 50 yards away from the basket.

Suppose you're in Sec 109 at midcourt? They can move you to Sec 116 or 117, but you'll still be further away from the court.

DomeExpanded.gif

Reliant stadium in basketball configuration:
reliant-stadium-basketball-seating-chart-5804.jpg

Lucas Oil Stadium in basketball configuration:

trv_lucasoil04_800.jpg

It really isn't that difficult. The point of moving the court to the middle of the Dome is to add more seats, not simply utilize the 49,000 seats we have in a football configuration. By raising the court like they do for the NCAA tournament you get an increased seating capacity. Shortly after our announced move to the ACC, Cantor stated that we would have 60,000 in the Dome for Duke or Carolina. If you had sideline seats, you would have sideline seats for the game in the middle of the Dome.

Jesus - can you picture an SU-Duke game with 55,000 in attendance? Damn

Reliant stadium in basketball configuration:
reliant-stadium-basketball-seating-chart-5804.jpg

Lucas Oil Stadium in basketball configuration:

trv_lucasoil04_800.jpg

It really isn't that difficult. The point of moving the court to the middle of the Dome is to add more seats, not simply utilize the 49,000 seats we have in a football configuration. By raising the court like they do for the NCAA tournament you get an increased seating capacity. Shortly after our announced move to the ACC, Cantor stated that we would have 60,000 in the Dome for Duke or Carolina. If you had sideline seats, you would have sideline seats for the game in the middle of the Dome.

You do realize that in places like Houston and Indianapolis, and New Orleans, the 100 level is quite a bit higher off the floor than it is in the Dome.

Bigger dropoff = steeper slope = more seats with better sightlines. That's why you can have "pink" seats in Reliant.

If you want to surround the court in the Dome with 1000's of blue chairs, most of them will be flat on the Dome floor without any rise over the row in front of you. Why do you think there are only 8 rows of blue chairs below the 100 level, and not 16+ rows extending right up to the court behind each basket?

If you've ever been to a concert in the Dome and had floor seats, you know that past Row 5-10 you can't see crap, even with an elevated stage. You can't sell 40 rows of floor seats for a BB game at a premium price when all you'll be able to see is the back of someone's head.

You can bring in bleachers, and surround the court with decent seats (imagine the current rollout bleacher section, but on all 4 sides of the court), but then you can't sell the regular seats in the 100 level.

We should just do empty arena a la Mankind/Rock in '98. MCW with a chair would be unstoppable. DaJuan Coleman as Diesel-esque enforcer and we're talking championship.

All of the reasons being cited for not moving the court to the center of the football field have been brought up as far back as Feb 2010. The AD staff has already said they know all of the problems and that there is a work around for each of them.

It's just that it has to be a known event prior to the selling of season tickets and that either this "event" would be a single game sale for all, or it would packaged in with season tickets with each season ticket holder knowing where they would be sitting for this event game.

Now, I wonder what "event" game they could be referring to? First two guesses don't count. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Now, I wonder what "event" game they could be referring to? First two guesses don't count. ;)

So you're saying the Jim Boeheim vs. Vince McMahon steel cage match is official. I suspected as much.

Boeheim blocks a low blow and reverses into his "Zone Defense" finisher. 1-2-3.

Seems like there are two problems with the "50 yard line" configuration:

1. All those temporary bleachers would have to be purchased and stored somewhere. Any electrical or other facility mods would have to be made. These would both be pretty expensive, especially for a one-per-season type arrangement. Heck, do they even have a space to store all the extra bleachers?

2. There is a real risk that you do all this for a game and only wind up pulling in 38 or 39k or something. A first-time game against Duke could maybe pull 45-50k, but could you really expect to get that regularly enough to pay for the investment?

I always wondered why they don't simply purchase a larger and steeper temporary bleacher...