SU picked by coaches to win ACC in preseason poll but with no first-team players | Syracusefan.com

SU picked by coaches to win ACC in preseason poll but with no first-team players

LOL how can you be picked to finish first in what is by far the best conference in Div 1 but have no players make first team? Unreal.

LOL how can you be picked to finish first in what is by far the best conference in Div 1 but have no players make first team? Unreal.

team chemistry baby! Seriously though, Rice will make 1st team All ACC this year... Bank on it!

It was really fairly similar in with the Preseason Poll and Preseason AA teams:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/12/09/2014-face-yearbook-di-top-20-rankings

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/12/10/2014-face-yearbook-di-all-americans
Syracuse is ranked #2 and has 1 3rd team AA and 3 HM AAs. Meanwhile UVa is ranked #9 with 2 2nd team, 2 3rd team, and 2 HM AAs?

It was really fairly similar in with the Preseason Poll and Preseason AA teams:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/12/09/2014-face-yearbook-di-top-20-rankings

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/12/10/2014-face-yearbook-di-all-americans
Syracuse is ranked #2 and has 1 3rd team AA and 3 HM AAs. Meanwhile UVa is ranked #9 with 2 2nd team, 2 3rd team, and 2 HM AAs?

Ya odd to say the least. I know a lot of people are picking UVA to have a bounce back year but they still to me at least appear to be lacking the talent of the old UVA teams. They lost a decent amount to graduation and of there best players lost his appeal with the NCAA for another year. Outside of Crockerton who really scares you on that team from an offensive standpoint? I also think ND is way overrated they always sneak up on teams in February (see Duke) but by April there usually exposed. They dont seem to have the offensive firepower to compete day in and day out in the ACC. Interested to see what Duke looks like, they lost a ton to graduation, an injury or two could decimate that team. Glad to see we play Maryland early, going to take those frosh sometime to workout the kinks, they could be a nightmare come may.

Ya odd to say the least. I know a lot of people are picking UVA to have a bounce back year but they still to me at least appear to be lacking the talent of the old UVA teams. They lost a decent amount to graduation and of there best players lost his appeal with the NCAA for another year. Outside of Cockerton who really scares you on that team from an offensive standpoint? I also think ND is way overrated they always sneak up on teams in February (see Duke) but by April there usually exposed. They dont seem to have the offensive firepower to compete day in and day out in the ACC. Interested to see what Duke looks like, they lost a ton to graduation, an injury or two could decimate that team. Glad to see we play Maryland early, going to take those frosh sometime to workout the kinks, they could be a nightmare come may.

How about Tucker and the older Emery in the 1st midfield and LaPierre on his one-man clears?

How about Tucker and the older Emery in the 1st midfield and LaPierre on his one-man clears?

LaPierre is a really good player no doubt and your right about Tucker but it still seems light years away from what your used to seeing UVA put out on the field. Zed Williams was a great highschool player and prospect so I guess he should be mentioned to but something just seems to be missing. I could certainly be way off as I obviously dont follow the UVA program as closely as you do but I just dont see the 5 star talent across the board that UVA usually has.

LaPierre is a really good player no doubt and your right about Tucker but it still seems light years away from what your used to seeing UVA put out on the field. Zed Williams was a great highschool player and prospect so I guess he should be mentioned to but something just seems to be missing. I could certainly be way off as I obviously dont follow the UVA program as closely as you do but I just dont see the 5 star talent across the board that UVA usually has.

Agree. It's not the Muderers' Row of the 2006 team, for example. Maybe this will make them play more as a team? ;)

Agree. It's not the Muderers' Row of the 2006 team, for example. Maybe this will make them play more as a team? ;)

It certainly worked for Syracuse last year. I just seems that the ACC has become so loaded that its easy to let one or two losses snowball and before you know it your a couple games under .500 which you guys were last year. Now obviously you guys turned it around by the end of the season and made a run but by that point it was to late to make the tourney. I wonder if Syracuse, UVA and the other ACC teams will look to lighten the load on the OOC schedule moving forward. It just doesnt make sense to play a killer OOC when you have Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UVA, ND etc in conference and UMD for this year.

Glad to see we play Maryland early, going to take those frosh sometime to workout the kinks, they could be a nightmare come may.

That is generally true, although sometimes it works just the opposite as there is no "book" on how to play the new guys.

While it didn't involve freshmen, last year UMd's offense was working nice, then UNC's coach came up with the idea of face guarding creaseman Carlson with an ssdm, and putting a long poles on both Haus and Chanenchuk, and UMd's offense died. Also putting a top d-man on K.Cooper started to shut him down. Tillman couldn't really find a dynamic attackman to replace Carlson.

I just looked at that list and I am not sure there is a player on the SU roster that has shown they are better than the guys listed on the allACC team. Rice and Donahue are close but I do not think they are better than the three guys listed ahead of them. maybe Mullins., but it will all depend on how he comes back from his injury. I will be interested to see how the end of year allACC compares, would not be surprised to see one of the leagues outstanding newcomers make first team.

Team talent trumps individual talent -- in any conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom