SU should open big every year. | Syracusefan.com

SU should open big every year.

nzm136

All Conference
We should form two 3-way deals with SU-PSU-Pitt and SU-WVU-Pitt.

SU's opening game should alternate between PSU and WVU. The PSU games should be played in the Meadowlands, and the WVU games should alternate between Syracuse and Morgantown.

The agreement rotation might be like this:

Year one:
SU v. PSU (@Meadowlands)
Pitt v. WVU (@Pitt)

Year two:
SU v. WVU (@WVU)
Pitt v. PSU (@PSU)

Year three:
SU v. PSU (@Meadowlands)
Pitt v. WVU (@WVU)

Year four:
SU v. WVU (@SU)
Pitt v. PSU (@Pitt)

Given that we play Pitt and BC during conference play every year, it would give us regualr games against all four of our BCS rivals; BC, Pitt, WVU, and PSU. This starts SU football off with a bang (imagine the offseason buzz of this season, only every season), makes a ton of money, keeps regional rivalries alive, and throws a bone to NYC without losing too much in Syracuse (Syracuse would lose one home game every 4 years, and opening week attendance stinks anyway). It also keeps Syracuse off the road for opening weekend, which is the alternative to burning a lot of money wasting a home game during the fair.
*To clarify, there are two neutral games, but we are only losing one home game, because the second game would be an away game in Happy Valley.
*It's also worth noting that this keeps us from looking weak by trading an away game for a hoem game (see ND and USC deals).

We could then assign 1 OOC slot to the ND rotation (roughly once every 3 years) and play Rutgers and UCONN on an alternating schedule as regional interest games the other roughly 2 out of every 3 years.

The rotation might look like this:
Year one: ND (Dome)
Year two: RU (NJ)
Year three: UCONN (Dome)
Year Four: ND (SB)
Year Five: RU (Dome)
Year Six: UCONN (CT)

*When ND screws things up by playing us more than once in 3 years, which happens once every 14 years (I think), the rotation would just pick up where it left off.
*Pitt could do the same thing, only instead of playing UCONN, they could play Temple.
*BC could step in and play UCONN in Pitt's place, along with a yearly beat down of UMASS.

If the ACC creates a scheduling agreement with the SEC and/or the Big XII, then our schedule is complete (except for years where we would play WVU as part of the schedule - then we would have an open slot to play a team like Buffalo, UMASS, or Temple).
*If the ACC only has one scheduling agreement, then we have about an extra game every year to adjust the schedule to fit our skill.
*If the ACC doesn't form any scheduling agreements, then we should play a regional interest game (Buffalo, UMASS, Temple, Cornell, Colgate, or a Michigan directional) and one game against a B1G team.

Notre dame's days at the carrier dome ended in 2003.

They'll politely decline, and we will gladly play them in tri state area.

This is semi-OT

1. We should also really promote our spring game. Our goal for next year should be 6,000, then 8,000 in two years, and 10-12,000 in three years.
*This has been discussed in other threads, but we should turn it into an event by having other activities and promoting it in full force.

2. I like the idea of the practice in Rochester (like we did last year). I think that it involves WNY, which is important in our effort to really get the entire state behind us.

3. I like the idea of involving Fort Drum. It seems to get results last year and it was a great local story that made SU's attachement to the local community stronger.

4. This is beyond football, but we should make an effort to consistently schedule at least one Albany-area team in basketball and/or lax, and one Buffalo/Rochester-area team in basketball and/or lax every year. This would also keep the entire state of NY involved without really detracting from the value provided to our home community (Syracuse).
*I wouldn't mind playing a 3-1 deal with UAlbany where we play 3 games in the Dome and 1 game in the Albany Civic Center (I assume that they have one)
*The same goes for SUNY at Buffalo. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 games in the Dome and a game in the Buffalo Civic Center (I assume that they have one)

5. We should have something similar to the Big 5 games in Philly, where BC, UCONN, STJ, Georgetown, and Syracuse all agree to play each other in basketball every year and have an award to the "league" "champion."
*I know UCONN and BC swore that they would never play each other, but the people who did all the talking are gone and the hate between the two schools would sell tickets liek crazy (think SU v. GU).
*I know that the ACC basketball schedule is going to be crazy hard, so we should water down our OOC, but I'm not afraid of St. J, Uconvict and the "esteemed" alma mater of Patrick Ewing (kan't reed dis).

They don't have a choice unless they leave the ACC due to the ACC scheduling agreement. Playing in the Meadowlands isn't their call.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by playing UConn or Rutgers. Nothing. If they're willing to sign a 2 game contract with both games in the Dome, then maybe we'll talk. Otherwise, next.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by playing UConn or Rutgers. Nothing. If they're willing to sign a 2 game contract with both games in the Dome, then maybe we'll talk. Otherwise, next.
Sure there is. It's a cheap way to get fans. Playing RU is great. We get a home game and SU fans come to see Syracuse play and then we get an away game in NYC, where the largest collection of SU fans outside of CNY can see Syracuse play. It also give us exposure to NJ/NYC recruits who are an important part of building our team. NJ produces a lot of talent and there is some decent talent in NYC. A very similar argument could be made about UCONN's proximity to the city as well.

Also, who else are we going to play. Does SU v. WF/NW sound any better? Any way you slice it, it's SU v. a team that I don't care about. That team that I don't care about might aw well be close to an area that we target for recruiting and in an area where a bunch of SU fans (and donors live).

Anyway, at the very least, it's an easy win. you can't play Texas/Alabama/Michigan/LSU/Georgia/Florida every week.

Dr. Gross had no leverage when he agreed to the ND deal at Metlife, now with the ACC money he won't be in as weak a position. He is honoring the Metlife contract for games in 2014 and 2016 after that Dr. Gross won't have the Metlife contract requiring games there he will want ND on campus in 2022 or whenever ND's rotation to play @SU comes up again. I now despise ND and their arrogance and hope they never win another NC again.

Sure there is. It's a cheap way to get fans. Playing RU is great. We get a home game and SU fans come to see Syracuse play and then we get an away game in NYC, where the largest collection of SU fans outside of CNY can see Syracuse play. It also give us exposure to NJ/NYC recruits who are an important part of building our team. NJ produces a lot of talent and there is some decent talent in NYC. A very similar argument could be made about UCONN's proximity to the city as well.

Also, who else are we going to play. Does SU v. WF/NW sound any better? Any way you slice it, it's SU v. a team that I don't care about. That team that I don't care about might aw well be close to an area that we target for recruiting and in an area where a bunch of SU fans (and donors live).

Anyway, at the very least, it's an easy win. you can't play Texas/Alabama/Michigan/LSU/Georgia/Florida every week.
Sorry, I don't agree. We play someone at the Meadowlands for NYC exposure. A home and home with Rutgers does nothing for us. Both their fans will travel to the Dome, and we would guarantee they sell out their stadium. How does that help us? Same with UConn. We are supposed to beat them both. And if we should lose, it's a bad loss. I would rather book a 2-for-1 with Akron/Ohio/similar MAC team, as that seems to be a significant recruiting area lately, certainly more important than CT or NJ have been lately. Just my opinion.

More than anything, I hope northeast football finds a way to keep match-ups alive.

Disagree. We should be opening with a cupcake every year.

Sent using my Commodore 64
I couldn't agree more. 1-=0 is a lot better than 0-1. If you want to get the casual fan back, get them excited by wins. Who they are, don't matter as much to the casual fan.

I couldn't agree more. 1-=0 is a lot better than 0-1. If you want to get the casual fan back, get them excited by wins. Who they are, don't matter as much to the casual fan.

I think we'll be in good shape with the casual fan after starting this season 1-0

Who says we lose? We have a winning record against WVU (and given WVU is an island, whereas SU is still playing in our historic recruiting grounds, that isn't likely to change in the near future). We have also held our own against PSU many times, even when PSU fielded elite-level teams. Our record isn't great, but it isn't hopelessly bad. For instance, we have a very good shot at beating PSU this year. I have faith in my Orange, and I see no reason why you shouldn't either. We have an excellent history and we appear to be investing in the team. SU didn't build a name for itself by being afraid to schedule. We aren't VPI and we aren't Rutgers. We have always played the best and that shouldn't change.

Anyway, how much off season interst does a season opener against SUNY at Buffalo/Akron/Wester Michigan during the fair really generate? How many casual fans are going to walk in the door for that?

I really don't think that an early season test is a bad thing. It is an excellent way to toughen us up and it is an excellent way to motivate us. Also, it's not like we can't schedule UCONN for week two and stat the season 1-1, at worst.

Who says we lose? We have a winning record against WVU (and given WVU is an island, whereas SU is still playing in our historic recruiting grounds, that isn't likely to change in the near future). We have also held our own against PSU many times, even when PSU fielded elite-level teams. Our record isn't great, but it isn't hopelessly bad. For instance, we have a very good shot at beating PSU this year. I have faith in my Orange, and I see no reason why you shouldn't either. We have an excellent history and we appear to be investing in the team. SU didn't build a name for itself by being afraid to schedule. We aren't VPI and we aren't Rutgers. We have always played the best and that shouldn't change.

Anyway, how much off season interst does a season opener against SUNY at Buffalo/Akron/Wester Michigan during the fair really generate? How many casual fans are going to walk in the door for that?

I really don't think that an early season test is a bad thing. It is an excellent way to toughen us up and it is an excellent way to motivate us. Also, it's not like we can't schedule UCONN for week two and stat the season 1-1, at worst.

If you think there is upside to continuing to play UConn or Rutgers, you haven't been a fan of Syracuse Football long enough to have the proper perspective.

Couldn't agree more. Have always hated opening up with a big game

Sorry, I don't agree. We play someone at the Meadowlands for NYC exposure. A home and home with Rutgers does nothing for us. Both their fans will travel to the Dome, and we would guarantee they sell out their stadium. How does that help us? Same with UConn. We are supposed to beat them both. And if we should lose, it's a bad loss. I would rather book a 2-for-1 with Akron/Ohio/similar MAC team, as that seems to be a significant recruiting area lately, certainly more important than CT or NJ have been lately. Just my opinion.
That's simply not true.
*If anything, gong by staf hires, we are focusing on Michigan, but I doubt that happens. We will never really compete in the state. Michigan will always be #1, Notre Dame and Ohio State will always fight for #2, and Michigan State will always fight for #3. At best, we could be #5, and that's assuming that none of the other B1G schools decide to focus on Michigan. If either PSU or Wisconsin focuses on Michigan than we are are looking at #6-7 at best.
*There isn't a single player in ast year's recruiting class from Ohio, and there is only one from the year before. Anyway, recruiting from Ohio is a horrible move. No matter what we do, there's no way we are going to beat out 1) Ohio State, 2) ND, 3) UC, 4) UL, and 5) almost the entire rest of the B1G non named OSU.
**At least when we recruit out of CT/NYC/NJ, we are going against RU, which we can beat, ND, which, with luck and hard work, we can beat (in NYC), UCONN, which we can beat, and PSU, which, with luck and hard work, we can beat (in NYC).
**However, in the interest of full disclosure, there were very few players from the NYC/NJ/CT area in last year's class, but at least there were some.
***To be fair, for what it's worth, there were a ton of city players during the Marrone years. Admittedly that was his focus and it is unlikely that Schaffer will place as much of an emphasis on it, but that remains to be seen. It's hard to tell what will happen based on one recruiting class that was a rush job, especially ince half the class consists of JUCO transfers from CA.
***It's also worth noting that much of our bad luck in NJ is due to RU's rise. Unless RU can consistently go to bowl games with no FCS team on their schedule and 9 B1G games, then RU's fortunes will change and we will have better luck in the area. NYC/NJ doesn't have time for losers.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/syracuse/football/recruiting/commitments/2013
http://rivals.yahoo.com/syracuse/football/recruiting/commitments/2012

4. This is beyond football, but we should make an effort to consistently schedule at least one Albany-area team in basketball and/or lax, and one Buffalo/Rochester-area team in basketball and/or lax every year. This would also keep the entire state of NY involved without really detracting from the value provided to our home community (Syracuse).
*I wouldn't mind playing a 3-1 deal with UAlbany where we play 3 games in the Dome and 1 game in the Albany Civic Center (I assume that they have one)
*The same goes for SUNY at Buffalo. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 games in the Dome and a game in the Buffalo Civic Center (I assume that they have one)

You're aware that SU has played UAlbany every year in LAX since 2004, and we just agreed to a long term agreement to play Canisius every year.

Syracuse University does NOT do 3-1 basketball deals with mid-majors or low-majors. Nor should they. Not as long as we can sell 16,000+ tickets to a mid-week game.

The only way SU plays a game in either Albany or Buffalo is if we have a Senior from that area who wants a game in front of the family.

SU didn't build a name for itself by being afraid to schedule. We aren't VPI and we aren't Rutgers. We have always played the best and that shouldn't change.
There is a huge difference between 'playing anyone anywhere' and over-scheduling. Last year we were stuck with our schedule with teams leaving. Do you really think it's better to play 2 B1G teams, a Pac-12 team, and an SEC team (three of those on the road) AND play a conference schedule that includes Clemson, Florida St, etc? Teams need a break, and need to schedule a breather or two. Playing an OOC schedule like last year and then having to play an ACC schedule is a coach-killer. It simply makes no sense to schedule a WV/RU/CT - lose-lose situation. Although I could see doing a home-an-home with WV sometime in the future, let RU and CT rot. I would have an easier time seeing the team if they played in NJ or CT than many of the ACC sites, but that doesn't mean it's better for SU football-wise. I'm not saying schedule like RU or VT. But to over-schedule or play lose-lose games like RU/CT at this point in SU's development would be ludicrous.

If you think there is upside to continuing to play UConn or Rutgers, you haven't been a fan of Syracuse Football long enough to have the proper perspective.
You're right. Clearly I don't know that UCONN's program is a glorified FCS team that surfaced from the depths of irrelevance in '04, and RU's understanding of "history" consists of having more losses than any other team in football history (guess, but I bet I'm right)

The only possible scenario where someone might think that Syracuse playing infront of SU's largest group of fans and SU's historic recruiting grounds is a good thing is if they think that UCONN and RU are elite programs because they just started watching SU football. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with increasing donations as a result of improving alumni moral amongst the many rich donors in NYC, improving recruiting, and furthering SU's effort to be "NY's college team." It is entirely because I think that UCONN and RU are elite programs.

Also, there are clearly zero advantages to playing in NYC. The B1G added Rutgers purely because Penn State really, really wanted to increase the competitiveness of conference play and they thought that RU had a reputation for fielding competitive sports teams. It had nothing to do with wanting to play games near alumni in a talent-rich area, because there are not advantages to that.

That's simply not true.
*If anything, gong by staf hires, we are focusing on Michigan, but I doubt that happens. We will never really compete in the state. Michigan will always be #1, Notre Dame and Ohio State will always fight for #2, and Michigan State will always fight for #3. At best, we could be #5, and that's assuming that none of the other B1G schools decide to focus on Michigan. If either PSU or Wisconsin focuses on Michigan than we are are looking at #6-7 at best.
*There isn't a single player in ast year's recruiting class from Ohio, and there is only one from the year before. Anyway, recruiting from Ohio is a horrible move. No matter what we do, there's no way we are going to beat out 1) Ohio State, 2) ND, 3) UC, 4) UL, and 5) almost the entire rest of the B1G non named OSU.
**At least when we recruit out of CT/NYC/NJ, we are going against RU, which we can beat, ND, which, with luck and hard work, we can beat (in NYC), UCONN, which we can beat, and PSU, which, with luck and hard work, we can beat (in NYC).
**However, in the interest of full disclosure, there were very few players from the NYC/NJ/CT area in last year's class, but at least there were some.
***To be fair, for what it's worth, there were a ton of city players during the Marrone years. Admittedly that was his focus and it is unlikely that Schaffer will place as much of an emphasis on it, but that remains to be seen. It's hard to tell what will happen based on one recruiting class that was a rush job, especially ince half the class consists of JUCO transfers from CA.
***It's also worth noting that much of our bad luck in NJ is due to RU's rise. Unless RU can consistently go to bowl games with no FCS team on their schedule and 9 B1G games, then RU's fortunes will change and we will have better luck in the area. NYC/NJ doesn't have time for losers.

http:// .yahoo.com/syracuse/football/recruiting/commitments/2013
http:// .yahoo.com/syracuse/football/recruiting/commitments/2012
I meant we seemed to be targeting the Midwest, not specifically OH. And quite frankly, if you think CT is a recruiting hotbed, you aren't paying attention. And we haven't been hitting NJ hard lately. We just haven't. NYC, yes (and we'll see how that changes now that FHCDM is gone). Do I hope we get back to recruiting NJ? Sure. Especially when RU goes belly-up in the B1G. But I would rather play a marquis game in the Meadowlands than play at Rutgers. F them. We gain NOTHING by playing them there.

You're right. Clearly I don't know that UCONN's program is a glorified FCS team that surfaced from the depths of irrelevance in '04, and RU's understanding of "history" consists of having more losses than any other team in football history (guess, but I bet I'm right)

The only possible scenario where someone might think that Syracuse playing infront of SU's largest group of fans and SU's historic recruiting grounds is a good thing is if they think that UCONN and RU are elite programs because they just started watching SU football. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with increasing donations as a result of improving alumni moral amongst the many rich donors in NYC, improving recruiting, and furthering SU's effort to be "NY's college team." It is entirely because I think that UCONN and RU are elite programs.

Also, there are clearly zero advantages to playing in NYC. The B1G added Rutgers purely because Penn State really, really wanted to increase the competitiveness of conference play and they thought that RU had a reputation for fielding competitive sports teams. It had nothing to do with wanting to play games near alumni in a talent-rich area, because there are not advantages to that.
Rutgers "competitiveness" had nothing to do with their invite. Nothing. The number of cable television sets in the New york New Jersey area had everything to do with it.

You're aware that SU has played UAlbany every year in LAX since 2004, and we just agreed to a long term agreement to play Canisius every year.

Syracuse University does NOT do 3-1 basketball deals with mid-majors or low-majors. Nor should they. Not as long as we can sell 16,000+ tickets to a mid-week game.

The only way SU plays a game in either Albany or Buffalo is if we have a Senior from that area who wants a game in front of the family.
I never said that we didn't. I said that we should. I also said that we should have a practice in Rochester and Fort Drum, and we did both of those. They were good ideas. SU should play in Albany for the same reason UNC played UNC-Greenville (I think, but it might have been one of the other UNC's) two years ago: to build a state-wide fan base.

Think of the impression that would have on the area. Once every yeas for 40 years means that virtually every sports fan's first memory of big-time game will involve Syracuse. If that doesn't build fans, then nothign will.

Anyway, if you actually took the time to read my post, I said basketball and/or lax. I didn't say that they always had to be basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom