SU TV Coverage | Syracusefan.com

SU TV Coverage

Col. Bleep

All American
Sitting in North Jersey as one of the disenfranchised Orange fans with no ACC Network station on my cable...it's good to see any game...even the ones the ACC Network streams.

But the CBS broadcast of the Miami game was a pleasure.
The production is so much better than the ACC... from the announcers to the general avoidance of poorly placed graphics to the directing.
(Although CBS did take one from the ACC playbook by almost missing a late game inbounds that resulted in a quick Miami hoop).

SU's AD is a TV guy.
Please...get an outlet in NJ and push the ACC Network to do better.
Much better.

The ACC network is trash. As someone who watches a lot of Washington games I will say the Pac 12 Network has a much better broadcast and all of those games are on cable. I can find the Washington game easier than I can find SU games and I live in Syracuse. Oh and the PAC 12 network has PJ as a color guy.

Last edited:
The ACC affiliate situation needs to be and should have already been addressed. I live in Kansas City and pay for the college basketball package so it doesn't affect me, but that's insane to invite northeast teams to the conference and not have the games be on tv.

As far as the announcers, when practically every game is on tv, there aren't enough good announcers to cover that quantity. We had the same complaints about the Big East network, believe it or not. Not every game was Sean, Bill and Jay. Need I remind anyone of the days of Dickie Simpkins and Bob Wenzel?

Dickie Simplins: "Remember to tip your Waiter(s)"

Wenzel...

The ACC network is trash. As someone who watches a lot of Washington games I will say the Pac 12 Network has a much better broadcast and all of those games are on cable. I can find the Washington game easier than I can find SU games and I live in Syracuse oh and the PAC 12 network has PJ as a color guy.
I agree the PAC 12 Network is pretty good. They have multiple color guys that are pretty good. I also find O’Neill in the studio to be good.

I agree the PAC 12 Network is pretty good. They have multiple color guys that are pretty good. I also find O’Neill in the studio to be good.
Studio? What’s a studio? You mean they don’t continuously play the same tired coaches round table from the pre-season media day EVERY game that wasn’t interesting even when you hadn’t seen it 25 times?

The thing that drives me crazy is that I spend a lot of weeknights in my car at a practice field, and spend a lot of weekends in hotels for soccer tournaments. I pay for DirecTV AND for Watch ESPN and can watch both apps on my iPad. For whatever reason, the Syracuse games fall through a crack where the local channel the ACC Network shows up on is not available for live programming on DirecTV, and the Syracuse game is “blacked out” on Watch ESPN (apparently on the theory I should be watching it on my local channel).

Sitting in North Jersey as one of the disenfranchised Orange fans with no ACC Network station on my cable...it's good to see any game...even the ones the ACC Network streams.

But the CBS broadcast of the Miami game was a pleasure.
The production is so much better than the ACC... from the announcers to the general avoidance of poorly placed graphics to the directing.
(Although CBS did take one from the ACC playbook by almost missing a late game inbounds that resulted in a quick Miami hoop).

SU's AD is a TV guy.
Please...get an outlet in NJ and push the ACC Network to do better.
Much better.

We havent gotten at least 2 games on ACCN in ROCHESTER!!! 1 of which CW13 decided to show St Bonneventure over Cuse. the other was the NC State game earlier this week. I was traveling home for taht NC state game- WatchESPN had the game blacked out when i tried to watch as i landed at the Rochester Airport. When i got home to my home wifi network, i could watch on WatchESPN. explain that 1 to me. Logged into my same DirecTV credentials at the airport and at home so they knew i didnt get the game.

AND!!!! when CW 13 does show Cuse, it is NOT in HD!!! ACCN is literally not in HD in Rochester NY in 2018.

The thing that drives me crazy is that I spend a lot of weeknights in my car at a practice field, and spend a lot of weekends in hotels for soccer tournaments. I pay for DirecTV AND for Watch ESPN and can watch both apps on my iPad. For whatever reason, the Syracuse games fall through a crack where the local channel the ACC Network shows up on is not available for live programming on DirecTV, and the Syracuse game is “blacked out” on Watch ESPN (apparently on the theory I should be watching it on my local channel).

LOL. jsut saw this. See my previous post. the blackout rules are so dumb its not even funny. If you are logged into your account, you should be able to watch anywhere - just show your specific local channel and the commercials. Problem solved for everyone. Such common sense.

Last edited:
Fortunately they usually pop up via AppleTV without any trouble. Occasionally I search for it. WatchESPN comes through too. But, I feel bad for all you Northeast peeps watching via old school cable/satellite and are having problems. Shouldn’t be the case!

Hopefully Wildhack is looking into this. SU coverage is as bad as it’s been in decades.

We havent gotten at least 2 games on ACCN in ROCHESTER!!! 1 of which CW13 decided to show St Bonneventure over Cuse. the other was the NC State game earlier this week. I was traveling home for taht NC state game- WatchESPN had the game blacked out when i tried to watch as i landed at the Rochester Airport. When i got home to my home wifi network, i could watch on WatchESPN. explain that 1 to me. Logged into my same DirecTV credentials at the airport and at home so they knew i didnt get the game.

AND!!!! when CW 13 does show Cuse, it is NOT in HD!!! ACCN is literally not in HD in Rochester NY in 2018.
The only thing that solves this MESS, in which consumers are frequently an afterthought for a bunch of greedy media companies, is plenary regulation. Simple as that. These companies are using the public airwaves and the primary consideration seems to be their wallets. There is no reason why SU fans in upstate NY shouldn't be able to see their team play. We have the only P5 FB/BB programs in the state. Hopefully, the ACC linear channel will solve most of these problems. I was just getting used to streaming and then ... there was no streaming.

2019 is coming, and hopefully all this gets fixed.

I'm worried about how much Spectrum will overcharge me when the ACCN arrives.

At least that money will be helping us be competitive.

Northern Jersey guy checking in, never missed a Cuse ACC game that was televised.

Football or basketball.

As you were...

The ACC network: critical juncture of the game and your team has just made a key basket:... cameras cut to the crowd... just a random shot of the crowd, not any particular fan or group of fans reacting to the play... or really having any important tangential connection to the game:...
Meanwhile... the ball has been in-bounded by the other team and they have begun to bring the ball up the court... and you continue to watch the not so frenetic reaction of the crowd.

SHOW ME THE GAME!!! For crying out loud. Pathetic

The ACC network: critical juncture of the game and your team has just made a key basket:... cameras cut to the crowd... just a random shot of the crowd, not any particular fan or group of fans reacting to the play... or really having any important tangential connection to the game:...
Meanwhile... the ball has been in-bounded by the other team and they have begun to bring the ball up the court... and you continue to watch the not so frenetic reaction of the crowd.

SHOW ME THE GAME!!! For crying out loud. Pathetic

ESPN is by far the worst at mistimed crowd reaction shots, though.

ESPN is by far the worst at mistimed crowd reaction shots, though.
It’s all the Cuse guys in the trucks producing it, trying to show how cool they are.

It’s why the National games are the best.

Haven't missed a game. A couple of times they've been on 3 different channels in DC. The announcers and ads are terrible. Announcers will never question anything. Replay is like a MLB game, won't show any close ones.

You know who's on TV every week now it seems? The women's team. Saw their game vs Duke and they are on again now.

I live in Connecticut - I don't have ESPNU/ESPNnews/etc but I have the mid-level cable package. I'd say I've seen 80% of the games this year without issue.