SU USF on 3rd down. | Syracusefan.com

SU USF on 3rd down.

GoSU96

Living Legend
SU on offense is 44 for 79 (56%) getting 1st downs when it is 3rd and less than 10. When it is third and 10 or more they are 3 for 31 (10%). Shows you how important it is for them to avoid negative plays. USF's defense allows 1st downs 47% of the time when it is 3rd and six or less. They allow first downs 28% when it is 3rd and 7 or more, which is okay, but not great.

USF, when it is third and less than three, they have a 68% success rate, and 8 times of 10 run the ball in that situation. They are still pretty good at medium situations, 4 to 6 yds at 47%, but then they fall off the table. When they are 3rd and 7 or more they are only 13 of 45 (29%). They really need to be in short yardage to keep moving the ball. SU's defense also allows first downs 47% of the time when it is third and six or less. Where it locks down is 3rd and long. On third and 7 or more they have allowed a first down only 8 times in 49 attempts (16%).

If this holds SU has the advantage on both sides of the ball in this important area. SU will be in trouble if USF can consistently get 5 or 6 yards on first down running the ball. If SU can contain the run, limit those favorable down and distances, and make Daniels move the ball with his arm, they should be in good shape.

It's funny to see our defensive numbers on 3rd and long. Perhaps due to last year, I still have the stimga in my head that we struggle here but it appears we're very good in those situations.

FWIW I like our chances to win on 1st down and force BJ to throw the ball. When BJ is forced to be a pocket passer, hilarity ensues.

When USF is in a 3rd and medium/long situations (hopefully often), I hope we use Diabate or Shamarko to shadow Daniels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom