SU vs. Phi Slamma Jamma | Syracusefan.com

SU vs. Phi Slamma Jamma

SWC75

Bored Historian
This popped up on You-Tube. One of our greatest victories. Houston lost to Virginia and Ralph Sampson in their next game and then ripped off 26 wins in a row until Lorenzo Charles followed up Dereck Whittenburg's shot, which bugged me because I wanted to say that we'd beaten the national champs. Unsure why the complete game wasn't posted but this gives you a good idea of how the Dome looked in those early years: no wooden floor, the benched on the other side from where they are now, etc. I think that basketball court might still be there under the football turf.

The Dome’s esthetics were boring. Grey floors and no one sitting near the court. The Dome has gone a long ways since it first opened. It looks so different without the three point line. The two guards stand near the foul line on defense. A lot of mid range shots.

The Dome’s esthetics were boring. Grey floors and no one sitting near the court. The Dome has gone a long ways since it first opened. It looks so different without the three point line. The two guards stand near the foul line on defense. A lot of mid range shots.

But we were still in awe of it.

Wow. Look at us using some 3/4 court token pressure off of made shots.

And doing it from the start of the game, although we backed off when Houston handled it.

The match-ups: Andre Hawkins vs. Hakeem Olajuwon and Tony Bruin vs. Clyde Drexler. On that night, Tony was his equal.

This popped up on You-Tube. One of our greatest victories. Houston lost to Virginia and Ralph Sampson in their next game and then ripped off 26 wins in a row until Lorenzo Charles followed up Dereck Whittenburg's shot, which bugged me because I wanted to say that we'd beaten the national champs. Unsure why the complete game wasn't posted but this gives you a good idea of how the Dome looked in those early years: no wooden floor, the benched on the other side from where they are now, etc. I think that basketball court might still be there under the football turf.

I was there! woot woot everyone knows NC State got lucky and who the best team was that year, in fact one of the best college teams ever. that seems like common knowledge

I miss seeing the Dome Ranger run around the dome. I'm sure the ushers won't allow anyone to do that anymore but it'd be fun to see Otto go nuts and run around with a cape and mask on.

Also, the old court is orange and royal blue. Back then Syracuse seemed to use orange with royal blue or navy blue (lax used royal, football navy (always navy?) and basketball navy on uniforms like this Houston game or orange with royal blue trim in the Coleman era). Was there decision made later by Syracuse to go strictly with navy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom