SU Women Move Up In Poll | Syracusefan.com

SU Women Move Up In Poll

How often do women's teams wear pink? It seems like every time I see a pic or highlights of a game on TV one team ALWAYS has pink on.

51203d6a40f9c.preview-620.jpg

How often do women's teams wear pink? It seems like every time I see a pic or highlights of a game on TV one team ALWAYS has pink on.

It is because of Kay Yow the NC State coach who died of cancer a few years back. This was her week and teams wore pink to support the cause.

It is because of Kay Yow the NC State coach who died of cancer a few years back. This was her week and teams wore pink to support the cause.

I pretty much ignore the women's game - but they wear them a lot more than just this week though? No? It really seems like I see a team in pink all the time (not just SU). Could be wrong though - pretty much ignore WCBB.

I only looked at the poll, but how is a team sitting at 21-3 in a major conference ranked so low?

I pretty much ignore the women's game - but they wear them a lot more than just this week though? No? It really seems like I see a team in pink all the time (not just SU). Could be wrong though - pretty much ignore WCBB.

The breast cancer theme has certainly been the reason why. Teams will do it more than just the one time. If you notice NFL teams will also do it more than just the one week they are required to so. Kind of like the whole sneaker thing with the coaching staffs and how St. Johns wears them every game as opposed to the one game that every coach wears them to show support.

I only looked at the poll, but how is a team sitting at 21-3 in a major conference ranked so low?

Because they started about 100th in the pre-season polls and havent really beaten a top 15 team.

It was the Play for Kay (Yow) week. Most of the televised ranked teams wore pink.

We'll see how good the girls are over the next 5 games.

They have to play Ville and ND, both ranked, RU, who's coach is going for win 900, and Villanova, which beat them a few weeks ago. Throw in DePaul, a team that recently beat Rutgers and you have a brutal stretch to end the season.

They have to play Ville and ND, both ranked, RU, who's coach is going for win 900, and Villanova, which beat them a few weeks ago. Throw in DePaul, a team that recently beat Rutgers and you have a brutal stretch to end the season.

They already beat DePaul. That odd game is against USF. They probably will lose to ND but the other 4 games they can certainly win.

Because they have a horrible SOS in the 200's. Two teams on the schedule, Virginia & Georgia Tech, are usually decent but are bad this year. SU just did squeak by both in the San Juan Shootout earlier this season.

They already beat DePaul. That odd game is against USF. They probably will lose to ND but the other 4 games they can certainly win.

oops, you're right. and that game is on ESPN3.

It is women's basketball so the rankings really don't matter (I don't mean that in a nasty way) because in the end there are 4 teams that will make the finals - all of whom will win their great eight game by 25. You can rank SU 5th and they're still light years away from the #4 team. Just seems to be the way the women's game has evolved.

Also go look at the records of the Top 25 - everyone is 20-5, 21-3, etc.

Baylor: Margin of victory in B12 games (bold = top 100 RPI win)

39, 34, 28, 22, 21, 18, 15, 17, 30, 19, 41, 27, 42, 33

UCONN: Margin of victory in BE games (bold = top 100 RPI win)

-1, 27, 14, 34, 25, 36, 33, 6, 57, 47, 56, 20

Because right now they are the Rodney Dangerfield of college basketball. In the BE standings, where opinions do not count, they are in 3rd place. Only the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams in the nation are ahead of them. They have just 3 losses for the year vs 4 for the men.

Orangeyes, the originator of this thread, has shown them some recognition in his daily postings, but even here it is lacking. The women have a big game tomorrow evening, yet today OE has 30 links ascribed to the men: one to the women. On this website we have 10 forums currently in operation; none for the women. Even Bernie Fine and all of his foibles qualified for space, but not the women.

In their upcoming games, if the women can knock off just one of the top ranked teams they face, the NCAA committee will be forced to give them a decent seeding in the tournament. That will greatly help them to achieve their first ever win in the Big Dance. Their prospects will be further enhanced if the good folk in Syracuse come out and show them some love in their last two games in the Dome against Nova and Louisville (March 2 and 4). I personally think this team is about to make some serious noise nationally.

Brittney Greiner should be the #1 pick in the NBA draft. Best center in the country.

I wrote in another post a couple days ago that I will be going to the game tomorrow night with my 80 year old friend. She saw the women's team in a restaurant some months ago and said she had never seen such beautiful young women! At that point, she started pestering me to go see them, and we agreed that tomorrow night will be the night. If the SU team can pick up steam, I predict that people here in Syracuse will start giving them some love. I will be one of those people.

At the same time, I am so over the top about the men's team that I feel my mental health would be in serious jeopardy if I attempted to siphon off some of my devotion from the men's team to the women. Don't think I can manage it. My support of the Orangewomen would have to be primarily intellectual.

I will give the board a report on the game tomorrow night, although it will not be overly analytical, since that is not how I roll. I will give color commentary. Orange color, of course!

Orangeyes, the originator of this thread, has shown them some recognition in his daily postings, but even here it is lacking. The women have a big game tomorrow evening, yet today OE has 30 links ascribed to the men: one to the women.

quote]
Because there was only one article on the women's team this morning. Sunday the day after they beat Pitt here are the linked articles. Give me a break!!!

SU Women's Hoops

rp_primary_Alexander_Pitt.jpg

#23/21 Orange Tops Pitt, 80-39, Goes To 21-3

Syracuse women's basketball crushes Pittsburgh

Syracuse vs. Pittsburgh Women's Basketball 12 photos, Feb. 16, 2013

Syracuse women's basketball roar past Pittsburgh Panthers

Syracuse women's basketball runs past Kiesel and Pittsburgh

Poor Shooting Dooms Pitt Women's Basketball in Loss at Syracuse

Breakout offense, early run help Syracuse bury Pittsburgh

Remaining schedule:

Tue, Feb 19
7:00 PM ET Conversation | Tickets
Sat, Feb 23
2:00 PM ET Conversation | Tickets
Tue, Feb 26
7:00 PM ET Conversation | Tickets
Sat, Mar 2
3:00 PM ET Conversation | Tickets
Mon, Mar 4
9:00 PM ET Conversation | Tickets

They drew 1355 to the Pitt game in the Dome this weekend, their biggest crowd of the season, so people are beginning to notice this team.

It is a fun team to watch. They play a wide open game, are much better defensively than in recent years (I believe they are 3rd in the country in steals) and have a bunch of good players.

2012-13 Big East STANDINGS

TEAMCONFGBOVR
#2 Notre Dame 12-0 -- 24-1
#3 Connecticut 11-1 1 24-2
#21 Syracuse 9-2 2.5 21-3
#12 Louisville 9-3 3 21-5
St. John's 7-4 4.5 13-10
Villanova 7-5 5 18-7
DePaul 7-5 5 18-8
South Florida 6-5 5.5 17-7
Rutgers 5-6 6.5 14-10
Georgetown 4-8 8 13-12