SU women's team | Syracusefan.com

SU women's team

cuseguy

Living Legend
They're making MCW look like the greatest shooter to ever walk the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rutgers women are the Pittsburgh men of womens basketball

I think you're right. This is hard to watch. It's like a bad middle school basketball game.

I went to the game tonight with my friend, Mitzi. We paid $20 for courtside seats, not realizing they were CTO seats, I mean, they were courtside! I just thought they were in the first tier. A little knowledge to tuck away for the next game. There were less than 500 people there, but they became pretty enthusiastic in the second half. Mitzi knew very little about the game of basketball and I was pleased to dazzle her with my knowledge. Mitzi: "What just happened?" Me: "Rutgers just fouled us." Mitzi: "What did they do?" Me: "I don't know."

Throughout the game I kept going into a fugue state, thinking I was watching a men's bball game. At the half it was something like 17 - 15. The shooting was terrible! Mitzi, bedazzled and appalled, at first kept commenting, "Boy, they sure are rough with each other. Is it like that with the men's games?" I assured her that, alas, it was. Things were better in the second half. Our tall center who has been a scoring sensation was held to a minimum. Coffee (sp?) scored at least 15 points last time I looked. The women played very fast and energetically. They had hustle and muscle. But little accuracy tonight.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder before the second half, and it was Dan! He recognized me. He acknowledged this was an unusually low scoring game for the women. We had a nice chat and he told Mitzi I had written about her on the board. That tickled her. I told Mitzi to look around and imagine that on Saturday there were going to be 35,000 people there. Would she ever want to go to a men's game? "No," she said, "I don't think I could take the frenzy." (She's 80.) I was grateful that so far I CAN take the frenzy; furthermore, I WANT the frenzy!

Thus endeth the story of my first women's game. I will go again.

Way to represent!

A combined 32 for 122 or 26%.

For the entire year SU is shooting 40% and its opponents are shooting 34%.

Smaller ball with same diameter hoop means women's shooting should be better than it is - but it isn't and no matter how hard ESPN tries to jam it down our throat most of the games are terrible.

I didn't realize ESPN forced me to watch women's basketball against my will.

OE and I went to the game. The box score says the crowd was 846 but that is not accurate. I agree with bbeadle; there were about 500 actually there.

Some thoughts: this Syracuse team is not very good offensively. It hurt them a lot when Alexander got in foul trouble early and Q decided to sit her most of the first half. She is the only reliable inside scoring threat on the team. Coffey and Butler hit a couple of 3s midway through the second half to break a close game open.

The reason this SU team is better than previous editions in the Q era is because they play much better defense. The 2-3 is far more aggressive than in recent years and SU presses on and off all game long. They have a bevy of good athletes who go after the ball like a hungry dog goes after a juicy steak. It is no accident that SU is 3rd in the country in steals per game.

Lacey Hall and Carmen Tyson-Thomas laid enough bricks to build Shafer's wall around New York State, but Rutgers (15-58, that is not a miskey) shot the ball even worse, struggling to hit the rim even from under the basket.

C Vivian Stringer, the legendary Rutgers coach, sat in her seat, looking at the ground with her hair in her face most of the game. She had no idea what was going on and never bothered to even try to talk to her team. I think she was heavily medicated. Sad to see but this happens to all Rutgers coaches eventually (see Mike Rice).

C Vivian Stringer, the legendary Rutgers coach, sat in her seat, looking at the ground with her hair in her face most of the game. She had no idea what was going on and never bothered to even try to talk to her team. I think she was heavily medicated. Sad to see but this happens to all Rutgers coaches eventually (see Mike Rice).[/quote]

Dear Tomcat (nice to meet you, by the way!), please explain this. Is she ill? I noticed she never got up once while they were playing. Is she still the head coach but someone else is doing the coaching? Also, who were the young men you guys were talking to after the game? I kept thinking I should recognize them, but I didn't. Thanks!

-Curious Beadle
p.s. Also, thanks to everyone for the likes for my little write up. That was sweet.

C Vivian Stringer, the legendary Rutgers coach, sat in her seat, looking at the ground with her hair in her face most of the game. She had no idea what was going on and never bothered to even try to talk to her team. I think she was heavily medicated. Sad to see but this happens to all Rutgers coaches eventually (see Mike Rice).

Dear Tomcat (nice to meet you, by the way!), please explain this. Is she ill? I noticed she never got up once while they were playing. Is she still the head coach but someone else is doing the coaching? Also, who were the young men you guys were talking to after the game? I kept thinking I should recognize them, but I didn't. Thanks!

-Curious Beadle
p.s. Also, thanks to everyone for the likes for my little write up. That was sweet.[/quote]

They showed a lot of close ups of her and she was pretty frustrated at her teams play and spent a lot of the time venting to the assistant coach that sat to the right of her.

-Curious Beadle
p.s. Also, thanks to everyone for the likes for my little write up. That was sweet.[/quote]
Nice to meet you Beadle. Though I believe we talked briefly a few months ago at a Fine Lot football tailgate as well.

I don't know what the story is with Coach Stringer. No idea what is up there, could not find any indication on the Internet she is having problems right now. But something sure seems wrong...

The young men we were talking to were members of the football team. Devon Walls, Micah Robinson, Keon Lyn, Durell Eskridge and Chris Clark. Nice kids, very friendly and outgoing. They can't wait for spring practices to start.

A number of softball players were in the area too. If I remember correctly, they included Jazz Watson, Shirley Daniels and Veronica Grant. They were astonished when Orangeyes immediately recognized them all (he is the biggest fan on the planet of the SU softball team).

Due to the nature of how travel spots are given out in the Sour Sitrus Society, I attended almost every home women's basketball game (and several women's BETs in Hartford) during my four years at Syracuse. I am extremely happy for coach Q and the team, but I don't think you could pay me to watch more womens basketball.

Beadle nice report, I loved the self-effacement.

BTW, if you are men's basketball season ticket holder they give you a free SU Women's ticket with your packet.

That first half was brutal. The second half picked up some but it too had a lot of rough edges. This Syracuse team has a lot of talent and is very deep. Hopefully they can make a nice run in the BET & NCAA's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom