Subtle things win close games ... | Syracusefan.com

Subtle things win close games ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
Watch Cooney on the replay. If he comes up to set a screen for Ennis, he brings his man into the play and there are then three Pitt players around the ball. And I don't believe he even thought about it, he just knew instinctively where to move to in that situation. Basketball IQ. Believe it!

I think that's the way the play was designed. Notice how CJ fakes toward the inbounds then heads full steam to the basket taking his man with him. Trevor does the same, but hesitates before heading down court because he is the inbounds safety valve (no time outs left) if Grant can't get it to Ennis.

If Cooney's guy lets him go Ennis hits him for an open look at the 3. I believe Ennis even mentioned in the post game interview that he saw Trevor on the wing and knew he wanted to take the shot. Just shows you how awesome Ennis is in full command and aware of the situation. You are right though Cow, Trevor probably does that instinctively in the moment. That's how things work when your a smart player on a well coached team multiple guys doing the right thing without having to think about it and then you are making all the plays in tight games.

If Cooney's guy lets him go Ennis hits him for an open look at the 3. I believe Ennis even mentioned in the post game interview that he saw Trevor on the wing and knew he wanted to take the shot. Just shows you how awesome Ennis is in full command and aware of the situation. You are right though Cow, Trevor probably does that instinctively in the moment. That's how things work when your a smart player on a well coached team multiple guys doing the right thing without having to think about it and then you are making all the plays in tight games.

Yes, as he gathers the ball and frames up, you can see him look for CJ one last time, it's not there, and so he knew leaving the floor it was his shot.

The most important factor in our winning close games is Tyler Ennis. Having a point guard who just doesn't turn the ball over, and gets you a good shot almost every time is something that can't be given enough credit.

The most important factor in our winning close games is Tyler Ennis. Having a point guard who just doesn't turn the ball over, and gets you a good shot almost every time is something that can't be given enough credit.

Why they let him a.) get to the ball in the first place, and b.) then just mirrored him up the floor is incomprehensible. But I'll bet you a thousand dollars to a pig's patoot another team won't make the same mistake. And unless I miss my guess, JB already knows that and will practice "need play" situations with the ball in Cooney's hands as well.