Suggestions Appreciated | Syracusefan.com

Suggestions Appreciated

Orange in WV

Walk On
I am making my first trip to Syracuse to watch a game in the Dome this Saturday with some buddies of mine (actually the first time in Syracuse for all of us), and we've got reservations at the Crowne Plaza. We were wondering just how close to the Dome that is, and is it very nice? We'll be getting into town on Friday afternoon/evening, any suggestions as to what to see/do that night? Also, we're looking for suggestions on where to go to "pregame". There will be 4 of us, 2 Orange fans and 2 WVU fans. Any help in making our trip as enjoyable as possible will be greatly appreciated.

I guess it depends on your ages and what type of thing you are looking for.
You are very close to the "armory square" area where there are some decent bars. There is another area close with a good steakhouse and decent bar next door. (Prime steakhouse and Bull and bear pub)
As for the college scene, you obviously have the marshal street area.
Are you looking for more of a restaurant/entertainment night? You could try the Dinosaur bar-b-que.

You may even want to look into "Syracuse suds factory" as I think they have a shuttle too and from the game. (close to Plaza)

You could have dinner at "wise guys comedy club" and see some stand-up if that's your thing?
If nothing else, take a cab to Marshall street before the game and grab a bite and a beer at Feagan's.

I am making my first trip to Syracuse to watch a game in the Dome this Saturday with some buddies of mine (actually the first time in Syracuse for all of us), and we've got reservations at the Crowne Plaza. We were wondering just how close to the Dome that is, and is it very nice? We'll be getting into town on Friday afternoon/evening, any suggestions as to what to see/do that night? Also, we're looking for suggestions on where to go to "pregame". There will be 4 of us, 2 Orange fans and 2 WVU fans. Any help in making our trip as enjoyable as possible will be greatly appreciated.
You Son's 'o bit__es are in luck. I will be couchburn prior to the game, so you may come and watch that if you'd like. J/K. If you're under 30 I'd suggest pregaming at Chuck's which is on MARSHAL (you see what I did there... I capitalized it because its also a University in WV) street. Over 30 you can pre game... I dunno I'm under 30. Seriously though, enjoy the dome and the game, and i really hope your friends don't die... the big 12 ones I mean.

You Son's 'o bit__es are in luck. I will be couchburn prior to the game, so you may come and watch that if you'd like. J/K. If you're under 30 I'd suggest pregaming at Chuck's which is on MARSHAL (you see what I did there... I capitalized it because its also a University in WV) street. Over 30 you can pre game... I dunno I'm under 30. Seriously though, enjoy the dome and the game, and i really hope your friends don't die... the big 12 ones I mean.

I know Marshall University well. I went to school there, and that's my hatred towards all things WVU began. haha. Also, I should have mentioned that I will be the youngest of our group at 36. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Crowne Plaza is very nice. You can walk to the Dome from there, but it is all uphill, might take 20-30 minutes. Best bet is to drive up there early and use one of the parking garages on South Crouse. Then you can hit any one of the M St-area watering holes.

In terms of Friday night, Armory Square is probably your best bet. Lot's of good places. Check out TexanMark's tailgating guide in the drop down menu near the top of the page.

Easy walk to the Dome; no need to drive. In fact, given that Dome traffic tends to back up to your hotel, it'd be idiotic to drive.

Wander around the Hill before the game; bars should be open early for a 1:00 p.m. tip. Try to get into the Varsity on South Crouse and Marshall - great SU experience.

If you're looking for a good meal while you're in town, make sure to check out Delmonico's on Erie Blvd. A bit of a drive from the dome, but well worth the trip. IMO...best steak in CNY. Also, the chicken riggies are amazing if dead cow is not your thing. If you do decide to go...make sure you have reservations!

hey orange in wv whereabouts in wv r u from? my wife and i have been in martinsburg for 4 yrs now just curious.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions guys. Will the Melo Center be open to look around in this weekend?

As someone said above, check out TexanMark's Syracuse Tailgate guide on the pull-down menu above. (Also, be sure to click on as many of his ads as possible. The guy is retired and needs all of the extra cash he can get.)

If you are coming in for Friday evening, I highly recommend the Armory Square area -- Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub is a great place, with a good mix of people. There are plenty of other bars/restaurants in that area too, so a walk about will give you a good idea of what places are there. I probably would drive from your hotel to Armory Square -- unless you plan on drinking, in which case a cab should be easy and cheap.

It's an early game Saturday, so probably not a lot of pre-game stuff going on, but a brisk walk up the hill from your hotel will take you to Marshall Street. You may want to check out Varsity Pizza, or the Sheraton, if nothing else catches your eye. From there, it's just a short walk up to the Dome. Take the scenic route through the Quad -- check out the statue of Ernie Davis for good luck. ENjoy the game.

If you're looking for a good meal while you're in town, make sure to check out Delmonico's on Erie Blvd. A bit of a drive from the dome, but well worth the trip. IMO...best steak in CNY. Also, the chicken riggies are amazing if dead cow is not your thing. If you do decide to go...make sure you have reservations!
Don't forget the Utica greens there as well. Another CNY food invention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom