Sunday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Sunday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
10126966-standard.jpg

Last-second field goal gives Syracuse football team a 37-34 win over Tulane

Syracuse beats Tulane with late FG

Tulane uses misdirection, trick plays to trip up aggressive Syracuse defense

FB | Syracuse blows lead, makes field goal as time expires to ...

FB | BY A THREAD: SU squeaks out 3-point win after blowing double ...

Final: Syracuse 37, Tulane 34

Syracuse 37, Tulane 34

10126316-standard.jpg

Orange Defeats Tulane, 37-34

Another baffling week for Syracuse football team, but a win is a win

Poliquin: By defeating Tulane 37-34, Syracuse (somehow . . . some way) is a 4-2 football team

NCAA Game Summary - Syracuse at Tulane

Syracuse Football vs Tulane Recap: The Dark Side

Game Recap: Syracuse 37, Tulane 34

10126320-standard.jpg

Bailey recipient of Andrea's helmet sticker

You Grade the Orange: Rate the Syracuse football team's performance vs. Tulane

Tulane defense, though outscored, finally delivers in second half

Tulane comes up short in 37-34 loss to Syracuse

10126964-standard.jpg

Instant Juice: Syracuse 37, Tulane 34

Video

Recap by Chris Gedney

Premium

The Syracuse offense was able to jump out to a fast start, ... Syracuse did not notch a first down until midway through the fourth quarter against a suspect ...
'Cuse sneaks by Tulane?

Next Opponent

Heading In to A Bye Week With Confidence

Former Player

Chargers SS Steve Gregory has played every defensive snap in each of the last two games.
NFL

Syracuse Alum

Milestones in the life of Al Davis

Around The Big East

Rutgers Throttles Pitt 34-10

For Huskies, Season On The Stink

Big East Winners and Losers: Week 6

USF can't stay silent on Big East

ACC News

When it comes to ACC, Swofford has seen it all

Power move by ACC

University of Pittsburgh finds grass greener on the ACC side

Blogs

10126313-standard.jpg

Syracuse Football: Dorian Graham Strong Performance In Orange Victory

Ryan Nassib and the Streaky Syracuse Orange Avoid Scare Against Tulane

Syracuse 37 - Tulane 34: Survive And Advance

Syracuse 37 - Tulane 34: 'Just Win, Baby'

West Virginia Football: 5 Things We Learned from the Mountaineers ...

Syracuse Football: Reactions To 37-34 Victory Over Tulane

That Boston Globe article (above) on the rational behind ACC expansion was eye-opening. Worth the read.

Confirmed that SU was the first choice and basically a no-brainer. But the spicy nugget was the UConn really was the choice for school #14, but BC raised its hand and blocked the invite.

Analytically, I think Pitt is a better choice than UConn. So, I happy about that development (my brother is a Pitt grad, so it works personally too).

But this BC block was made out of spite. I am surprised only by the transparency shown by BC's AD DiFillippo.

Really makes you wonder if ND also joins, who #16 would be. I am beginning to think it might be Rutgers.

And it really, really makes me happy that Marrone turned things around here, as you have to wonder if we were still in the thralls of 3- and 4-win seasons, whether we'd have been the obvious choice for an invite. I suppose Coach Boeheim and Desko has a hand in that equation too. And Dr. Gross too (for getting the BC series back, repairing that relationship).

Wow - quite the DeFillipo article. "TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do."

Wonder what the Boneyard will have to say about the Globe article.

That article is the best "behind the scenes" look at ACC expansion that we currently have. BC is basically doing everything in their power to cripple UConn's athletic department. As DiFillipo said, this is a turf war. BC wants to own New England from a recruiting, exposure, and dollars perspective. A devalued UConn is a good thing for BC.

That's why I don't understand the people that want Rutgers and UConn in the ACC. If they are left out, it's a very good thing for Syracuse. We become one of just a few BCS-level options in our region, which has become increasingly cluttered since the 90s (UConn, Rutgers emergence from horrific to mediocre). A line is being drawn between the haves and have nots - BC, Pitt and Syracuse should be working to keep Rutgers and UConn in the "have not" category.

That article is the best "behind the scenes" look at ACC expansion that we currently have. BC is basically doing everything in their power to cripple UConn's athletic department. As DiFillipo said, this is a turf war. BC wants to own New England from a recruiting, exposure, and dollars perspective. A devalued UConn is a good thing for BC.

That's why I don't understand the people that want Rutgers and UConn in the ACC. If they are left out, it's a very good thing for Syracuse. We become one of just a few BCS-level options in our region, which has become increasingly cluttered since the 90s (UConn, Rutgers emergence from horrific to mediocre). A line is being drawn between the haves and have nots - BC, Pitt and Syracuse should be working to keep Rutgers and UConn in the "have not" category.

I dont disagree, but in the end, it doesn't really matter what "we," SU, or even BC wants. The ACC will want to corner the NYC market and it cannot do so with Syracuse alone. Either Notre Dame comes on board with whoever, or you have to take a combo of UCONN and Rutgers. If ACC doesn't do this, the Big Ten will get the market (b/c there is no way either of the latter two schools wont jump at an invite).

Here's a question, what would stop the ACC from dumping BC for UCONN?

...CUDOS to Orangeyes for finding this article...it was like reading a Patterson novel...great stuff...especially the part about ESPN and TV telling ACC how to get more money and who to pick...the rationale why Uconn didnt get in and Pitt did...and finally, finally, the fact that 'CUSE WAS # 1 choice...Finally, in the end we win!​

Wow. College sports is a huge business. Wonder if they can go on strike like the NBA? Good find on the ACC article. Thanks.

It's been common knowledge for about eight years now that BC didn't want to be associated with UConn. It's one of the primary reasons why BC left the Big East for the ACC. I understand BC's reasoning. But I doubt UConn will be held down for long. I think they'll eventually land in a good conference, possibly the Big 10. The ACC needs to be careful going forward because they could wind up losing the NY market if Rutgers/UConn land elsewhere. As I see it now, the ACC still doesn't have the NY market. In order to do that, the ACC will need to add Rutgers or UConn. And based on that article, it seems like Rutgers might have a leg up if the ACC expands again.

It's been common knowledge for about eight years now that BC didn't want to be associated with UConn. It's one of the primary reasons why BC left the Big East for the ACC. I understand BC's reasoning. But I doubt UConn will be held down for long. I think they'll eventually land in a good conference, possibly the Big 10. The ACC needs to be careful going forward because they could wind up losing the NY market if Rutgers/UConn land elsewhere. As I see it now, the ACC still doesn't have the NY market. In order to do that, the ACC will need to add Rutgers or UConn. And based on that article, it seems like Rutgers might have a leg up if the ACC expands again.

If BC really wanted to destroy UConn, they should be on the phone right now to their buddies in South Bend. They can push the Huskies into the abyss by getting ND to commit and then grabbing Rutgers to round out the field. I agree that the longer UConn and Rutgers sit out there as a potential package deal, it could come back to bite the ACC. I wonder how long they wait out ND?

From the Boston Globe article its pretty obvious UConn is NEVER getting into the ACC while Boston College is a member. If for some reason Notre Dame joined the ACC you got to believe Rutgers would be the 16th. All the UConn fans have to blame is their own leaders. When BC left our administration did not toss bombs there way, and theirs did. We stayed out of the lawsuit they started. I got my JD from Boston College and the old joke in Newton was Boston College will never deal with sUeConn again.

From the Boston Globe article its pretty obvious UConn is NEVER getting into the ACC while Boston College is a member. If for some reason Notre Dame joined the ACC you got to believe Rutgers would be the 16th. All the UConn fans have to blame is their own leaders. When BC left our administration did not toss bombs there way, and theirs did. We stayed out of the lawsuit they started. I got my JD from Boston College and the old joke in Newton was Boston College will never deal with sUeConn again.

Notre Dame would be able to dictate whether it wanted UConn or Rutgers, though all else being equal, one would think their subway alumni and northeast alumni would prefer Rutgers (NYC trip). Not likely BC could veto a Notre Dame choice.

As far as losing out on a Rutgers/UConn package, the ACC and B1G appear to be in almost identical places. Each would need to be certain Notre Dame wasn't coming their way in order to pull that trigger. I'm not even totally convinced it would be worth pulling the trigger for either conference in any event. Hopefully the ACC would get a handle on the financial value of adding those two, during their ESPN negotiations. Might possibly be wortth more in the future to add them as it might re-open TV negotiations again by adding two teams.

I want ND in the ACC and will take whoever comes with them. I love adding them to ACC lax.

Given a choice, I like having the RU fans to scrap with. I like having games in NJ.

The law suit is a sore spot for BC but the key aspect for them is owning the New England turf. That would still dictate their blocking of UConn even if the law suit never happened. From their perspective UConn is an upstart who has now surpassed them in athletics by going to a BCS bowl which BC hasn't, a far better b-ball program that wins championships, and recruits the same turf and is winning the better talent. So of course BC wants to block them and establish an advantage.

Notre Dame would be able to dictate whether it wanted UConn or Rutgers, though all else being equal, one would think their subway alumni and northeast alumni would prefer Rutgers (NYC trip).

Correct. If the Irish join the ACC they will have a lot of say into who will be #16. Also, I think that if the Irish decide to join the ACC, their 4-team pod will be ND-Pitt-BC-SU, so their NYC trip every other year will likely be us in the Meadowlands.

Overall, in terms of a northeastern strategy for the ACC (or the BiG) looking at a map and then being familiar with any TNS-ESPN college sports poll (something I'm sure every conference has access to) I think it's a no-brainer.

thumbnail.aspx

The building blocks are as follows:

1a) Penn State
1b) Notre Dame

3) Syracuse
4) Maryland
5) Boston College
6) Pittsburgh

7a) Rutgers
7b) UConn

Pittsburgh's placement is as low as 6 with PSU and probably as high as 4 without PSU.

Since the ACC isn't going to get PSU, then its best bet is ND and either Rutgers or UConn so that at worse (assuming no ACC defections) the BiG is left with PSU and either Rutgers of UConn.

Also, keep in mind that college football popularity is at its apex throughout the South and the Midwest. But it can still grow in popularity throughout the West Coast and the Northeast. Eventually adding the likes of Texas and Oklahoma to the Pac and ND to the ACC will help in this regard.

So Swarbrick, if you meant what you said about institutions needing to look out for the "greater good" and the "bigger picture" here's your chance to walk the talk. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

I dont disagree, but in the end, it doesn't really matter what "we," SU, or even BC wants. The ACC will want to corner the NYC market and it cannot do so with Syracuse alone. Either Notre Dame comes on board with whoever, or you have to take a combo of UCONN and Rutgers. If ACC doesn't do this, the Big Ten will get the market (b/c there is no way either of the latter two schools wont jump at an invite).

-----------------

Good article but from a limited perspective: doubt that's the full expansion story.

The key to Pitt's offer may be:

"DeFilippo said the move was dictated in part by the expansion of the Southeastern Conference to include Texas A&M, which prompted the Big 12 to inquire about Pittsburgh, which is in the Northeast, an area in which the ACC felt it necessary to expand.

“We wanted new playmates and we wanted Eastern playmates,’’ said DeFilippo. “When the Big 12 inquired about Pittsburgh, we asked, ‘Why let them come into our area?’ ’’

Pitt is a great bridge helping connect Maryland to SU and BC and has a traditionally strong football and BB program and is a strong AAU research level school.

Regardless, RU and likely UConn are likely to end up in the ACC or Big 10 within a few years. RU as the state University has no competition in NJ. It's location in NJ and proximity in the NY metro area makes it an easy add, along with the fact it is an AAU research level university. And its football team is not the RU team of old.

Finally, with respect to how it would affect SU: regional rivalries are at the heart of college football. North Carolina has 4 teams and VA has 2 teams in the ACC. RU would certainly help consolidate the NY-NJ-Phil market.

Reading the UConn board is too delicious whomever had the popcorn picture was spot on. Somehow, they don't get it the B1G isn't going to add UConn and dilute their numerous trophy games. Only team the B1G will expand for is Notre Dame, and we don't even know if they want the B1G. If the ACC wanted them despite BC's block they would have gotten in. The ACC would have added UConn if the other 11 teams felt they were significantly better than Pittsburgh, but they analyzed both and probably felt meh Pitt opens up PA recruiting. If UConn had Pitt's history and vice-versa do they honestly believe the ACC would have picked Pitt over UConn.

UConn Blog has angry response to BG article

Liked this comment:

UConn has been adamant — probably too much so — that they wanted out of the Big East now that the conference appears to be crumbling before our eyes. In a game of poker built around strategy and secrecy, the Huskies were not only showing their poker face, they were showing their cards.

The problem? UConn had three of a kind when Pitt and Syracuse had a full house and the ACC was the dealer.

From

If BC wants to eliminate UCONN as a northeast competitor, with their football program going downhill, all they have to do is hire Calhoun away. It would be an expensive but worthwhile investment.

Here's a question, what would stop the ACC from dumping BC for UCONN?

UConn and RU aren't delivering the NY market. If that was the case, they would not be in the Big East. And the ACC isn't dumping anyone, certainly not a big city school for a farmer school in nowhere Connecticut.

UConn and RU aren't delivering the NY market. If that was the case, they would not be in the Big East. And the ACC isn't dumping anyone, certainly not a big city school for a farmer school in nowhere Connecticut.
poultry UConn.gif

I know it's fun to laugh at UConn, but DeFillippo is a huge . That doesn't change because we're on his side now. I have to think that if UConn joined Big East football in 1994 instead of 2004, maybe they'd be in the ACC and BC would be stuck. At least they offer an elite program in a revenue sport.

I know it's fun to laugh at UConn, but DeFillippo is a huge . That doesn't change because we're on his side now. I have to think that if UConn joined Big East football in 1994 instead of 2004, maybe they'd be in the ACC and BC would be stuck. At least they offer an elite program in a revenue sport.

And BC had Doug Flutie and beating overrated Notre Dame teams once every few years. BC is so 1980s.

Rutgers brings nothing to the table and the ACC knows it, if they did they would have been in the discussion this time. The only reason they've been in the big east is to balance seton hall. They are much like seton hall good every 50 years. No way a school like Notre Dame with their tradition would want Rutgers over Uconn. They have been in the best basketball league and what would rutgers bring?

I wonder when Syracuse has voting power if they'd try and keep Rutgers and/or Uconn out. Partner with BC to keep the NE to themselves. Also wonder how Pitt and MD would vote for Rutgers/Uconn.

I think people are misreading what is going on here with regard to UCONN. The ACC needed to act fast, so they went with the solutions that met the least resistance. SU and Pitt...but if they go to 16, UCONN will defintely be included.

BC did not VETO UCONN, they raised a concern and the ACC went with options that all could agree on. But their SOLE vote will not keep UCONN out next time...and I think the basketball powers want UCONN in next time around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom