Sunday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Sunday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

News

14689691-mmmain.jpg

Carmelo Will Miss Playoffs for First Time in NBA Career (syracuse.com)

MCW: 23 points, 8 assists, 7 rebounds
DW: 25 points, 2 assists, 4 rebounds
JS: 3 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block

Carmelo Anthony and the New York Knicks were eliminated from playoff contention without even taking the floor on Saturday night.

The Atlanta Hawks earned the Eastern Conference's final playoff spot with a 98-85 victory over the Miami Heat on Saturday night.

The loss means Anthony, a former Syracuse University star, will miss the playoffs for the first time in his 11-year career.

ACC News

ACC Coaching Roster for 2014-15 Season (dukebasketballreport.com; Jacobs)

Now that the dust has settled, and one in five ACC programs has a new men's basketball coach, the roster is a bit younger and more diverse in a number of respects.

Jim Christian at Boston College and Brent "Butch" Williams at Virginia Tech are a few years younger than the men they replaced. Danny Manning is 13 years younger than his predecessor...

Other

14688683-mmmain.jpg

Celebration After Billy Ward's Goal Ended the Game

SU Men's Lax Team Wins Thriller Over UNC in OT, 11-10 (PS; Carlson)

It took Syracuse until the final seconds of its first season in the ACC to show it could beat one of the conference's best. Billy Ward made it worth the wait.

Ward's game-winning goal just over a minute into double overtime provided Syracuse its biggest, and most emotional, win in a season that's suddenly become full of them. The No. 7 Orange (8-3, 2-3 ACC) emerged with an 11-10 win in a wild, back-and-forth game with No. 4 North Carolina (9-3, 2-3) on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.

Ward's goal came after two potential game-winners had pinged off the crossbar. It came after Kevin Rice's goal with 8 seconds remaining in regulation had fans hurling their hats into the air and a "Let's Go Orange" chant ringing the bottom of the Carrier Dome.

-9ee66734047189ce.JPG

Billy Ward

Billy Ward's Halftime Talk: 'Let's Be Us; Let's Be Great' (PS; Carlson)

Billy Ward lifted his teammates at halftime, then left them falling all over themselves in double-overtime, turning the Orange into a jubilant, jumble of men.

His missile into the far upper-right hand corner just over a minute into double-overtime on Saturday provided the Syracuse lacrosse team its biggest victory in a season suddenly full of them. It pushed the Orange into the ACC tournament and eliminated any question about if SU could compete with the top five teams in the country.

With the net still rippling from his shot and the scoreboard still shifting to 11-10 Syracuse over No. 4 North Carolina (9-3, 2-3), Ward thrust his arms into the air as waves of teammates crashed over him. The play provided a sudden ending to a riveting ACC finale that the Orange needed to win to qualify for the conference championship.

"It's a blur to be honest," Ward said. "You see the net move. You're kind of like, 'What just happened?' The next thing you know you're getting tackled by a bunch of guys."

Ward's goal came after the No. 7 Orange (8-3, 2-3 ACC) rebounded from a sluggish start and two Dylan Donahue shots off the crossbar. It followed Kevin Rice's goal with 8 seconds remaining in regulation, one that had fans hurling hats into the air and a "Let's Go Orange" chant ringing the bottom of the Carrier Dome...

14686699-mmmain.jpg

Kayla Treanor, Best Player in Women's Lacrosse

SU Women Make Claim for #1 Ranking with 12-9 Victory Over UNC (PS; Carlson)

The Syracuse women's lacrosse team has never been ranked No. 1 in a regular-season poll.

That will likely change on Monday.

The No. 3 Orange staked its claim as the best team in the country on Saturday during a 12-9 win over North Carolina at the Carrier Dome in front of a school-record 2,142 fans.

The Tar Heels (12-2, 5-1 ACC), the defending national champions, entered with the top ranking. Syracuse (13-1, 4-1) left the Carrier Dome as the team more deserving of it, celebrating with three minutes remaining as players started a "Let's Go Orange" chant from the sideline.

"Everyone wants that," senior Amy Cross said. "But our big focus is one game at a time. Our season isn't over. We won a big game. This is a huge win. We celebrated today and we buckle down and play on Tuesday."

While Syracuse made its case as the country's top team, Kayla Treanor's performance ought to make her the favorite for the Tewaaraton Award.

bilde

10 Questions with Caleb Lamb, Voice of the Stockton Thunder (recordnet.com; Phillips)

Caleb Lamb never would have imagined 12 months ago that he would find himself living and working in Stockton. Until he arrived in town to report to his new job last year, he had never set foot in California.

A half-year later, Lamb is completing his rookie season as the play-by-play voice of the Stockton Thunder. A year ago right now, the 23-year-old native of Maine was finishing his bachelor's degree in broadcast and digital journalism at Syracuse University, the alma mater of a Hall of Fame roster of sports announcers including Bob Costas, Marv Albert and Mike Tirico.

"Since I was a little kid, this is what I wanted to do," Lamb said recently while sitting outside the broadcast booth in the upper reaches of Stockton Arena. "A lot of little kids want to be the professional athlete. I always had a love of sports broadcasting. When I think back on some of the more prominent memories of sports that I have, I kind of remember the calls that went along with those moments, which to me always added to the excitement level."

Lamb's earliest broadcasting memories involve his collection of Matchbox cars and an area rug. During his college years, he honed his craft announcing minor-league and junior hockey games in the Syracuse area.

As a senior at Syracuse, Lamb was awarded third place by the Sportscasters Talent Agency of America in its Jim Nantz Award & All-America college contest. Then he got his Syracuse diploma and began searching for his first job.

Amazing mens game wish i could have seen the womens as well. The ACC was very smart in taking SU as we are without a doubt a top 10 collegiate sports institution. Basketball both mens and womens, Football, and Lacrosse all power house programs. SU is a national brand. With the exposure we are getting from the ACC i the new ipf and leadership on the hill i believe we are in the early stages of a major upswing.