Surprised that Sims is leaving the program | Syracusefan.com

Surprised that Sims is leaving the program

stone567

Walk On
I am very happy that Laz is getting the opportunity as an assistant coach, but surprised. If he was interested in moving up the coaching ranks, it is perplexing why he did not take the assistant coaching position vacated when Bernie was fired. I heard rumors that he did want an assistant coach position, which would be the only logical reason why McNamara would have leapfrogged over him. Now that he leaves SU to go to Binghamton, I wondered what really happened last year. Why did he not get the job last year as an assistant coach, which includes some recruiting (When JB is unavailable). Any thoughts???

He's a big fan of the movie ROUNDERS and loved the scene where Matt Damon and Ed Norton got beat up by Binghampton police in a cop poker game? And since he's seen that movie, he's always wanted to eventually call Binghampton his home?

He was not happy that Red and g-mac were named assistants and not him. He actually has been looking around.

I am very happy that Laz is getting the opportunity as an assistant coach, but surprised. If he was interested in moving up the coaching ranks, it is perplexing why he did not take the assistant coaching position vacated when Bernie was fired. I heard rumors that he did want an assistant coach position, which would be the only logical reason why McNamara would have leapfrogged over him. Now that he leaves SU to go to Binghamton, I wondered what really happened last year. Why did he not get the job last year as an assistant coach, which includes some recruiting (When JB is unavailable). Any thoughts???
JB said it wasn't a good family time to take on the duties of going on the road.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

He's a big fan of the movie ROUNDERS and loved the scene where Matt Damon and Ed Norton got beat up by Binghampton police in a cop poker game? And since he's seen that movie, he's always wanted to eventually call Binghampton his home?

"In the game of life, women are the rake, they are the ing rake."

-Ed Norton (referring to Laurie Fine, I assume)

You realize that getting a coaching job at SU is highly competitive, it is a very attractive position. Regardless of whether Laz is an alum or even on staff in another role, that doesn't mean he is going to be in a position to "have" that position. Ultimately, there is a question of whether JB feels he is qualified or capable of handling the job - maybe he isn't viewed as DI coaching material at this point by JB & Co..

I always find it humorous when a position on staff looks like its opening up and posters here just start throwing out the names of alums that we could bring back to take the position, as if all guys are equally capable of doing the coaching job...or even desirous of having a position.

You realize that getting a coaching job at SU is highly competitive, it is a very attractive position. Regardless of whether Laz is an alum or even on staff in another role, that doesn't mean he is going to be in a position to "have" that position. Ultimately, there is a question of whether JB feels he is qualified or capable of handling the job - maybe he isn't viewed as DI coaching material at this point by JB & Co..

I always find it humorous when a position on staff looks like its opening up and posters here just start throwing out the names of alums that we could bring back to take the position, as if all guys are equally capable of doing the coaching job...or even desirous of having a position.

Well, this is a little different from that. He's been with the program for a while now. It's not like we're talking about Derrick Coleman suddenly being named big man coach, although I thought I read that he interviewed for that job for Larry Brown in order to get himself some experience.

Well, this is a little different from that. He's been with the program for a while now. It's not like we're talking about Derrick Coleman suddenly being named big man coach, although I thought I read that he interviewed for that job for Larry Brown in order to get himself some experience.

Its not altogether different. He's been with the program in the role of Coordinator of Player Development and Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach. He has been in that role since August 2007, essentially 5 seasons. In that time we have replaced two coaches both Rob Murphy and Bernie Fine. Laz was passed over both times. If he was even close to being the right material for a position on the staff you would think he would have been promoted when Bernie was let go given the inopportune timing of his departure, but he got jumped by GMAC after being jumped previously by Red.

I don't want to belittle what anyone does, but the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach isn't going on the road recruiting. I don't think the position Laz had was a stepping stone to a true coaching position at SU.

Just because JB finds a home in the program for a former player doesn't mean that he has him stashed in the wings, just waiting for a position on our staff to open up. Sometimes it is exactly what it looks like; JB being good to one of our own and helping him out with a role that guy can handle. You give Junior the keys to the 2006 Ford Taurus anytime he wants them, but when he asks for the keys to the new Lamborghini maybe you let him take a spin with you in the co-pilot seat...maybe not. If Laz could parlay the Coordinator of Player Development and Asst. Strength & Conditioning Coach role into a position in a small time program...than good for him.

But maybe I'm reading this wrong.