Surprising stat that bodes well for this year | Syracusefan.com

Surprising stat that bodes well for this year

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I was just going thru last year's results and came across something that surprised me, and I think helps ensure an easy transition to new leaders this season.

Last year, I was surprised to find that Triche, Southerland and Fair each led the team in scoring several times last year. Not just once or twice, but Triche was our top scorer 5 times, Southerland 4 times and Fair (in a surprise to me, anyway) also was the leading scorer 4 times.

I think when Kris Joseph was expected to just step in and become "the Man" last year, that he may not have led the previous team in scoring that many times. I could be wrong about that, but I was surprised that each of our big 3 returning guys has done it that many times. Good experience to have under your belt, and it's nice having multiple guys who have done it multiple times.

Teams will have to pick their poison. Balance can be a great thing but 1-2 of them will have to step up in crunch time. I expect that to be Triche and MCW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

All three are capable scorers but its all about consistency.

Triche has never really had to be the man we always had other guys so he could defer and disappear but he will not have that luxury this season. He won't need to lead us in scoring but I think he will have to have a senior season like Andy did offensively. Triche will have to make shots and plays on offense in big moments when needed. I think he will for what its worth.

Southerland needs to shoot with confidence and hit at least 2 threes a game. His defense and rebounding really came around IMO so its really about consistent shooting out of him. I could see him having a season just like last season or breaking out and shooting 40+% from 3 while scoring 15 a game. Hard to predict.

CJ was very consistent his whole career when he got minutes until that late season swoon where he couldn't make anything. Luckily for us he came out of it in the Wisconsin game. I hope that was just a one time blip in his career that we will not see again. Seems lots of fans are expecting CJ to break out, but to me if we are relying on calling plays for CJ and him being a consistant go to guy on offense then other guys are not performing. If three of Triche, MCW, Cooney, Southerland Coleman and Rak are effective then CJ is more valuable being the garbage man. He could even have an easier time of it this season. Not saying he isn't capable of more but having a guy who can consistently get you double digit points without running anything for them are invaluable! Plus he brings a solid all around game with his rebounding and defense.

Just thinking, I'm sure Dion, Scoop and Kris lead us in scoring as well last season. So thats different guys and I expect this season to be much the same.

Just thinking, I'm sure Dion, Scoop and Kris lead us in scoring as well last season. So thats different guys and I expect this season to be much the same.

Sure, it won't just be those three. I fully expect that Coleman is going to have games where he leads us in scoring, too, and of course there's Mike. Between the five of them, they will all likely lead the team in scoring at least a few times.

Folks keep talking about CJs "late season swoon" last year. If I remember correctly, he was sick for 1-2 of those games and still making a complete recovery for a game or two after that.
CJ is the one player this year I don't even begin to worry about. Smart, smooth and great court awareness. Waters Big East POY wild card for him is not so far fetched for me.

Folks keep talking about CJs "late season swoon" last year. If I remember correctly, he was sick for 1-2 of those games and still making a complete recovery for a game or two after that.
pretty sure the "swoon" was the BET when he was sick.

Don't sleep on Triche...expectation is that if playing time reaches 30 minutes a game he will score between 14-16 pts a game...CJ is going to have significant competition from Grant as well as Southerland. And this doesnt bring up MCW, Coleman, Rak, and others...going to be a terrific year...final four or better!

Triche is hard to figure out. Hes not the isolation threat to be a leader and take over a game. Nor is he the get open and make everything type. What he does well is get open well and knock down open shots and his best drives are after moving without the ball, because he is body before speed. If he can get his body before speed off the dribble he can be unstoppable toughness. Very fun to watch.

Dajuan MCW will be the isolation threats the defense is going to respond to them first. Hard to say they aren't the offensive leaders. And Southerland and Cooney could have the outside shot that could force the D to stay all over them. Especially if they find their sweet spot all over the court. Fair and Southerland are also 6'8. They along with Rak and Dajuan could show we have 4 high post guys. 3 Wouldn't suprise me.

CJ ,Triche, Southerland our upperclassmen all operated well away from the ball to score 18. And MCW and Dajaun are young so we haven't seen alot of their isolation ball yet. As for shooters only Southerland returns a good outside ball but he still shot no better then Triche 33% last year. It will be a interesting battle. Who will be the leader?

Just know and quote me on this. What people see early on and expectations mean nothing. We have 6-7 guys who could be ready to score 18 ppg by march but only score 7 in early Dec with this bunch.

I was just going thru last year's results and came across something that surprised me, and I think helps ensure an easy transition to new leaders this season.

Last year, I was surprised to find that Triche, Southerland and Fair each led the team in scoring several times last year. Not just once or twice, but Triche was our top scorer 5 times, Southerland 4 times and Fair (in a surprise to me, anyway) also was the leading scorer 4 times.

I think when Kris Joseph was expected to just step in and become "the Man" last year, that he may not have led the previous team in scoring that many times. I could be wrong about that, but I was surprised that each of our big 3 returning guys has done it that many times. Good experience to have under your belt, and it's nice having multiple guys who have done it multiple times.

Point taken, though Joseph did lead the team in scoring 13 or 14 times the previous year.

And, of course, it's easier to be a game high-scorer a handful of times when opposing defenses are keying on Waiters, Scoop, and Joseph.

But each of those guys is capable of scoring in a number of ways. And each has done it before. Not consistently, but they've all done it.

I'll be interested to see what the starting lineup looks like and how much early success we have with outside shooting. Last year was fun, but we had some very ugly stretches on offense. Getting Cooney, Southerland, and both starting guards to knock down 37% of their threes in regular minutes could do wonders.

Just know and quote me on this. What people see early on and expectations mean nothing. We have 6-7 guys who could be ready to score 18 ppg by march but only score 7 in early Dec with this bunch.

Riiiiight.

Riiiiight.
4 likes to your 1.
wink.png

I'm fully expecting Cooney to hit every 3 that he takes and be extremely scrappy and fundementally sound.

I'm also expecting countless comparisons to Rautins, Devo, and GMac on our board despite his game more closely resembling Dion's. I also expect Duke fans to look at him and say "why didn't we recruit him?" once we get to the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom