SU's 2001 financial ranking, at least according to the | Syracusefan.com

SU's 2001 financial ranking, at least according to the

GoSU96

Living Legend
equity in athletics data submitted to the Dept. of Education.

2nd in Men's basketball revenue. Top 10, Louisville, SU, Duke, UNC, UK, Arizona, Mich St., OSU, Texas, Indiana. The first six programs are the only ones that made more than $20M in both basketball and football.

35th in Football Revenue. Top 10, Texas, Michigan, Bama, Auburn, UGA, UF, ND, LSU, PSU, Arkansas.

21st in total men's team revenue and 35th in total revenue. SU is the 5th ranked private school following ND, Stanford, USC, and Duke.

Here is some interesting data in the you get what you pay for area.

The top 10 programs in men's basketball expenses: Duke, Louisville, UK, SU, Okie St., Kansas, Mich. St, Indiana, Uconn, Texas.

For football: Bama, OSU, Auburn, PSU, Okie St., TCU, Texas, ND, Washington, Arkansas. SUwas 24th in football expenses in 2011.

More evidence that TGD isn't pinching the penny, SU was 36th in total department expenses for 2011.

And after recent years of losing money or only "netting" a couple of $100K, SU was 24th in gross margin, and ended the year $4.1M to the good per its reporting.

2nd in Men's basketball revenue. Top 10, Louisville, SU, Duke, UNC, UK, Arizona, Mich St., OSU, Texas, Indiana. The first six programs are the only ones that made more than $20M in both basketball and football.

35th in Football Revenue. Top 10, Texas, Michigan, Bama, Auburn, UGA, UF, ND, LSU, PSU, Arkansas.

21st in total men's team revenue and 35th in total revenue. SU is the 5th ranked private school following ND, Stanford, USC, and Duke.

The top 10 programs in men's basketball expenses: Duke, Louisville, UK, SU, Okie St., Kansas, Mich. St, Indiana, Uconn, Texas.

For football: Bama, OSU, Auburn, PSU, Okie St., TCU, Texas, ND, Washington, Arkansas. SUwas 24th in football expenses in 2011.

More evidence that TGD isn't pinching the penny, SU was 36th in total department expenses for 2011.

And after recent years of losing money or only "netting" a couple of $100K, SU was 24th in gross margin, and ended the year $4.1M to the good per its reporting.
how can they be 35th in football revenue?

Not saying they're lying - i think there is a lot of sandbagging by other programs

Not saying they're lying - i think there is a lot of sandbagging by other programs
why would other programs sandbag LOW $ Revenue...I think being 35th in football revenue is surprisingly good.

Possible, im not a CPA but my thought is that depends what makes up the revenue items. I can see State Schools sandbagging so that their funds dont get taken away.

why would other programs sandbag LOW $ Revenue...I think being 35th in football revenue is surprisingly good.
athletic departments awash in cash might feel that reporting accurate revenue might jeopardize funding they get from the state.

that's just a guess, i don't have any sources on that

might just be outright fraud - report lower revenue, line your pockets with the difference

An absolute steal to continue to have JB around. To get anyone else here, they would have to shell out alot more dough. Don't have to worry about that with Hop in the wings, but still. The amount of $ that LVille makes is awesome, and they pay Pitino $8 mil/year.

An absolute steal to continue to have JB around. To get anyone else here, they would have to shell out alot more dough. Don't have to worry about that with Hop in the wings, but still. The amount of $ that LVille makes is awesome, and they pay Pitino $8 mil/year.

Pitino's base salary is $3.9 mil a year and with incentive can earn up to around $4.5 mil. A ton of money but nowhere near $8 mil a year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/rick-pitino-louisville_n_2045194.html

JB is a steal at what he gets paid though. $2 mil a year hear or $4 mil a year in Louisville, KY probably a big difference even when you figure the cost of living and housing.

A scholarship at Syracuse is worth a lot more than a scholarship to Minnesota or Arkansas or most any other public university. I suspect the value of athletic scholarships is factored into both the income and expense side.

I read an article a while ago that the Dome's revenue and expenses don't figure into the athletic budget. That technically the teams "rent" the Dome on game day. I will try to find it and put a link up.

Isn't that because part of the expense is the athletic department has to pay the school for the scholarships of the players the it brings into the school?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I read an article a while ago that the Dome's revenue and expenses don't figure into the athletic budget. That technically the teams "rent" the Dome on game day. I will try to find it and put a link up.
This is 100% true

This is 100% true

Thanks bnoro! People have told me that I am looney on this subject. In other words SU's "athletic" budget and revenue are larger than reported in these documents because the Dome is not figured into the equation and is treated as it's own seperate entity. How much revenue does it generate is the question?

Thanks bnoro! People have told me that I am looney on this subject. In other words SU's "athletic" budget and revenue are larger than reported in these documents because the Dome is not figured into the equation and is treated as it's own seperate entity. How much revenue does it generate is the question?
Can't remember. I learned this back when I was a freshman and I cannot remember how it works for the life of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom